Cultivated Reef

Wilioli's 10g Wet Dream

Wilioli

So I'm new, and was recommended to start a thread here so this wonderful community could TELL ME WHAT TO DO .

Current Equipment:

AC Mini/20 AC 50 moved to 20L

1 x 11watt coralife 50/50 2x20 watt coralife 50/50

Maxijet 600

50 watt Eheim heater

Livestock:

2 oscellaris clowns moved to 20L

4 hermit crabs moved to 20L

1 turbo snail (i think) 1 trochus snail moved to 20L

zoo coral -- gorilla nipples/eye of rah/not quite sure yet of what it is moved to 20L

frogspawn moved to 20L

I've got 12 pounds of haitian rock -- been cycling this tank for around 3 weeks now. Jump started the ammonia spike with a small piece of cocktail shrimp, WAS using tap water... Just recently bought ro/di water, did a 50% water change with that, and now nitrates are 0 (from 20ppm). Ammonia and nitrites are 0 as well. My issue is the pH. Before the ro/di water, I was testing at 7.8-7.9. Got the ro/di water, mixed the instant ocean salt in to a sg of 1.025, and got a reading of 7.7!!! Then put it in my tank -- the sg is 1.024 in the tank, and pH is around 7.8-7.9. No clue why. Oh, and I have 4 hermit crabs. I've put in a pic, hope it shows up, and yes ive filled the water closer to the top -- i was scared to do so before.. lol And the background WILL be changed, no worries.

--------------------------------------------------

Most recent FTS (11/23/2010):

Day44.jpg

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice scape. Well you could use baking soda. That would the best in my opinion. you could also use sodium carbonate vs. the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). There is no real need for all the fancy and expensive buffers imo. But again my recommendation is not to fret about the pH as long as its not like 2.5 or something crazy. It's not as vital in sw as it is in fw.

btw, what are those shells for? your hermits?

Nice scape. Well you could use baking soda. That would the best in my opinion. you could also use sodium carbonate vs. the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). There is no real need for all the fancy and expensive buffers imo. But again my recommendation is not to fret about the pH as long as its not like 2.5 or something crazy. It's not as vital in sw as it is in fw.

btw, what are those shells for? your hermits?

lol, yes i know ur care free opinion on sw tanks.. lol

yea those shells are for the hermits.. i went thru an ocd phase of making sure i had the right size shell for them, and they havent' even gone near any of them.. im just gonna keep buying shells until they have no choice but to switch shells cause... they.. are... everywhere...

keepin it gangsta

id?

post-58530-1288061537_thumb.jpg

Haha, well my tanks are evidence no? (i'm actually getting really good colouration and growth from my sps lately, so I guess I'm doing something right.)

lol those are huge shells, you must have some monster hermits! :haha:

id= hermit. i'm 100% positive.

I actually have one that looks like that too. he's one of my favorites.

Haha, well my tanks are evidence no? (i'm actually getting really good colouration and growth from my sps lately, so I guess I'm doing something right.)

lol those are huge shells, you must have some monster hermits! :haha:

id= hermit. i'm 100% positive.

I actually have one that looks like that too. he's one of my favorites.

yea i was just checkin out ur tank -- u got some great livestock that came with ur rocks dude, or at least i think those came with the rock? I can't believe i just asked u to id my rock.. lol

lets try taht again..

ID?

post-58530-1288062114_thumb.jpg

yea i was just checkin out ur tank -- u got some great livestock that came with ur rocks dude, or at least i think those came with the rock? I can't believe i just asked u to id my rock.. lol

lets try taht again..

ID?

lol thanks but my rocks came with cyano ( was a noob when I got them and I picked the most cyano covered ones thinking it was coralline :slap: ) (which tank did you look at? the long or the hex?)

Id= some sort of tube worm, probably a calcifying feather duster. they are pretty cool. It has a frilly thing come out?

ps-get a picasa or a photo-bucket account and upload the pics then link them here with [.img.]link[./img.] (minus the .)

lol thanks but my rocks came with cyano ( was a noob when I got them and I picked the most cyano covered ones thinking it was coralline :slap: ) (which tank did you look at? the long or the hex?)

Id= some sort of tube worm, probably a calcifying feather duster. they are pretty cool. It has a frilly thing come out?

ps-get a picasa or a photo-bucket account and upload the pics then link them here with [.img.]link[./img.] (minus the .)

thats basically what i did.. i asked for the rock with the most red cause i wanted to get a jump start on the coralline.. lol...

tube worm then perfect..

ill do the picasa thing, was gonna ask u how ur pics are so high quality..

thats basically what i did.. i asked for the rock with the most red cause i wanted to get a jump start on the coralline.. lol...

tube worm then perfect..

ill do the picasa thing, was gonna ask u how ur pics are so high quality..

hahaha, yeah and I was so upset when it started flaking off! needless to say, I haven't been to that pet store since. bloody bastards.

BTW, for the millions of people that are viewing this thread, and are tuning in constantly waiting for an update -- the pH today was 8.0 + . We're good to go. This weekend, im buying a tang, and putting it in this 10g.

joking.

what kind of lighting are you using? it looks like you picked up the 10g setup from walmart and screwed in a mini compact 50/50. i kno it duznt matter right now cuz you only have rock and crabs in there, but are you planning on keeping corals??

what kind of lighting are you using? it looks like you picked up the 10g setup from walmart and screwed in a mini compact 50/50. i kno it duznt matter right now cuz you only have rock and crabs in there, but are you planning on keeping corals??

lol i see u edited the tang part.. lol -- u may be right about the walmart thing. I the tank was given to me by a family member that had it for a while, and probably got it from a walmart type store. So what? But yes, I did screw in a 50/50 -- 11 watt... And am going to replace it with 2 x 20 watt 50/50's -- or fiddy/fiddy. I do plan on keeping some soft corals... From the research I've done (by no way am i an expert) I see that many people have had success with sps corals and 40 watts of fiddy/fiddy... ur thoughts?

If you can, get t5s instead of PCs. you'll thank yourself later. ;)

i see thats what the 'deal is' -- im gonna get t5's for the 40 gallon that ill be gettin.. for now im thinkin of just stickin to the pcs for this 10 gallon and limiting it to soft corals.. couple of zoas maybe some shrooms and wtv else i can manage, and thats that... u think i could get away with that?

it should work.

BOOOM! THEN IT WILL WORK!! NEWMAN REGULATING!!! ok u might get really embarassed here newman -- at least on myfishtank people would just visit the thread, and not really post anything.. ill try to calm down...

BOOOM! THEN IT WILL WORK!! NEWMAN REGULATING!!! ok u might get really embarassed here newman -- at least on myfishtank people would just visit the thread, and not really post anything.. ill try to calm down...

thats cause this is NR and were still awesome. there used to be NCRA and they were really awesome but they're sorta dead atm. They will be back tho :ninja:

is there anyway i can change the title of this thread? "My 10g sw" is pretty lame .. i didnt think it would post up there.. i thought they just wanted a description.. lol

Archived