Cultivated Reef

40 Breeder with some DIY: New FTS

NanNewB

Well thanks to Petco for a crazy price and another 40B on the forum. This will take over my current 28g Cube and I have been looking at a lot of inspiration on different designs and DIY stands, sumps and more.

Here is what I have done so far:

Drilled tank with Glass-Holes (700gph) dual return 3/4

Custom DIY Stand with stone finish

20L Sump designed and built (Skimmer/Return/Refugium)

Mag7 changed to Ecoplus 1040

BRS Media Reactor with Carbon and GFO

SCWD 3/4"

Reef Keeper Lite with PH and Temp.

LumenBright 250w MH and Evil's 38par 20k

Not decided on where to get Live-Rock maybe www.gulf-view.com or SeaLife.net like what I saw and only need a few pieces.

post-48083-1298244630_thumb.jpg

./

looks good so far ... the drilling give you any problems?

Nope just from others said I went slow and easy. It was a lot easier than I thought.

post-48083-1287984234_thumb.jpg

I see you live in the 'Dena! I used to live there myself. BTW I am completely jealous that you were able to scoop up that tank!

Yea, they only had 2 left and I was tempted to buy both and 2 other locations were already out

!

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple pieces from my 28g and waiting for cured lr from Sealife. Luckily I have an Odyessa MH 150 to use unitl I can move the rest from my 28g. Plan on moving my ato, mp10, 250w bulb, more rock and chiller and coral.

I will then remove the other powerheads inside the tank.

I also changed from a mag 7 to eco1056 and a nice change in power. The SCWD really reduces the output of the pump.

and the fts

just received my rock from Sealife and it looks great!! Colors are amazing and nice shapes. I will let it sit in the tank before I set it up. Had a few mithrax and small gorilla crabs dead (good) and 1 live nice looking mantis.

Not too sure what to do with the Mantis he is cool looking..... decisions...decisions

any suggestions??

Nice looking setup.

I had a few Mags in the past. I'm currently using a Quiet One 6000 on my 40B and i'm happy.

I have it plumed to run my reactor as well as the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

may I ask why you changed from a mag 7 to a eco1056. Was the Mag not enough flow? I have the same glass holes kit but only one 3/4" return. I was considering a Mag 7 but I have about a 4-5' head. Your input would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

updated fts on 1st page.

Need to take better pics and download, but all is going good and thriving.

Been thinking of going from 250W MH and 1 par38 to T5 6bulb......

• 2 weeks later...
I see you live in the 'Dena! I used to live there myself. BTW I am completely jealous that you were able to scoop up that tank!

HAHA so I found your post in the Chesapeake bay tank thread and thought to myself "HEY! he's from Pasadena!" I come to your tank thread to find out I have commented in your tank thread before. The real irony of that was what I posted (see above). It's ironic because I LITERALLY just returned from PETCO and bought myself a 40B with a 20L for a sump!

I hope my tank looks even half as nice as yours!

lol, that's great you will love the size of the 40. Thanks about the tank, I still need to update with more pics. I have some really interesting stuff in there.

What are your plans for the tank? Type, overflow, sump setup, lighting.......

Somewhat similar to yours actually. I don't want to pack your thread with details of my tank but I have pretty much all the equipment already so it should be quick:

Glass holes 700 gph kit with a 3/4" return (Quiet1 1200 return pump)

Lighting is the 24" Odyssea 250W MH with 2 T5

Sump is a 20L (Petco $1 a gallon, I feel like I stole this stuff)

I am prob going to get a Odyssea skimmer

It's going to be a variety reef tank, a fair amount of sps, lps, and some softies.

Going to have a semi deep sand bed for the jawfish I have been wanting to get for some time now!

I have a 29 and my 2 clowns are going to be moving again haha.

sounds good, the Glass holes is pretty loud and would not do it again given the choice. I also had an Odyssea and added a wattage meter (cheap) and it didn't hit 250w, more like 220w and bad color. Change the ballast and bulb and you're good!!

Good luck

Well apparently the new odyssea lights have electronic ballasts which are putting up pretty accurate numbers, As far as the glass holes kit is concerned I have never had a problem with it, though I got the 700 GPH kit and I am probably running 300 through it.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived