Cultivated Reef

Shadowninja's 28 Gal. JBJ HQI Nano Cube Build Thread *Retired*

shadowninja

Intro:

Sooo...I started this thread a little on the late side. My tank is now just about 2 years old but I didn't actually figure things out about it like how to maintain it and etc until 1 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately I do not have any start up pics or whatsoever but I can say the curing process brought about constant battles with various types of algae. I now have a purple grass like algae growing on the rocks and snails which feeds my urchins :lol: . The picture shown is the last one that I took. I need to take some better pics later haha. Things in the tank have stabilized and are growing great. Moved some corals as well. My frags are growing well too.

Key Guide:
* = recently changed or added
a= recently removed

Equipment:

JBJ 28 Gal Nano Cube
Nanotuners 28 JCJ HQI Hood w/ Actnics
MP-20 Vortech
Marineland 50watt/75watt(?) Stealth Heater

Lights:

*20k 150W MH*

Fish:

1 Coral Beauty Angel
*1 Pygmy Angel*
2 Picasso Clowns
1 Bluespot Watchman Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
2 Spotted Mandarin
1 Starry Blenny

CUC:

20 Asteria Snails
1 Scarlet Hermit
1 Pencil Urchin

Livestock:

Branching Frogspawn (for sale)
Nuke Green Palys
Orange Zoas
Fire & Ice Zoas
Rainbow Zoas
Hawaiian Ding Dangs
Pink Lemonade Zoas
Zombie Zoas
Cat Eye Zoas
Sympodium (melted :angry:)
2 RBTA
Strawberry Monti Cap. Epoxy didn't hold it's place.
Red Monti Cap.
Green Monti Cap.
ORA Green Digitata
ORA Red Planet (Light Pink/Green)
ORA Joe the Coral
Misc. Acan (Red, Red & Green, Orange)
Red & Blue Blastomussa
Pulsing Xenia
BR "Sunset" Millepora
Turquoise Millepora
*Scripps Blue Millpora*
*Pink Lemonade Millepora*
Green & Orange Acan Maxima(?)/Lobo
Purple Digitata
Green Toadstool
Unknown Chalice
Blue Planet Acro
Reverse Superman Montipora
Yellow Montipora Vietnamesis
*Raspberry Shortcake Acropora*

1st Documented Picture:

dsc2012w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Ok I came back from vacation after three months. I came back to find my tank all coraline encrusted which is a good thing cause I only told the person to top-off and feed one a week minimum. Other than that all my corals grew a bit. The broken piece of ORA coral I fraged which was 1 cm is now 1 inch. My 1 cm frogspawn frag is now 1+ inches wide. My zoa frags I got from a trade have doubled in size. My ORA red planet grown as well as the acropora millies, purple digitata, and so on. Here are some pics of some new corals I added before I left as well. I added a Reverse Superman Monti and a Blue Planet Acro which is like the red planet but blue with green tips (it turned paler under lower light, I switched my 20k for a 10k).

photo12jl.jpg

photo22wa.jpg

Reverse Superman Montipora

dsc0576pz.jpg

Blue Planet Acro

dsc0583y.jpg

Wow, I'm excited to see you put a tank thread together. I remember getting a PM from you about a year ago. That must have been a great 3 month vacation. Best of luck as your tank progresses.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I'm excited to see you put a tank thread together. I remember getting a PM from you about a year ago. That must have been a great 3 month vacation. Best of luck as your tank progresses.

Yup. I saw your TOM and I hope mine will get there one day. Only thing is my tank is not as well planned in terms of placement and rockscape.

Great tank. I love the Zoas & RBTA. Glad to hear the rose is looking better! Definitely one of my favorite things about the hobby so far. Gotta love 'em.

Great looking tank.

Do you run the 2 x 18w Atintic bulbs at the same time as the 150W MH ?

Yeah I do. I only run the Actintics for like 4-5 hours.

• 1 month later...
shadowninja

Latest FT Shot 3/22/11

photo5sm.jpg

As you can see, both rose anemones have regained their deep red color. They have also grown quite a bit. All corals are showing rapid growth now with tri-weekly feedings. My acans have intensified in color and have changed color as well. Aside from that things are looking good. Have a nice xenia forest on the back wall now... other than that looking to swap or sell out the xenia, smaller RBTA, and frogspawn stalk.

• 2 weeks later...

Very healthy looking RBTAs.

How long did it take for them to regain vibrant deep red color?

Latest FT Shot 3/22/11

photo5sm.jpg

As you can see, both rose anemones have regained their deep red color. They have also grown quite a bit. All corals are showing rapid growth now with tri-weekly feedings. My acans have intensified in color and have changed color as well. Aside from that things are looking good. Have a nice xenia forest on the back wall now... other than that looking to swap or sell out the xenia, smaller RBTA, and frogspawn stalk.

shadowninja
Very healthy looking RBTAs.

How long did it take for them to regain vibrant deep red color?

It took them about 1 1/2 - 2 months more or less for me.

• 7 months later...
I can only find the clownfish could u post pic of other fish?

Sorry some of fish aren't there anymore and its hard to photo them.

I love that Reverse Superman Monti!!

Thanks, but I lost it in my mini-crash :(.

Update 11/26/11

Survived my mini-crash a few months ago, I think due to dropping alk. Got that fixed but lost a couple corals and several others were moved to another tank to ensure survival. They were put into a CAD 22 but I just took that down this week due to a large bryopsis outbreak...and they are now in my IM 8gal tank which is going to be a bare bottom sps possibly with some small gobies. As you can see my tank was heavily encrusted in coralline, which occurred in about 1-2 months. I have so much coralline algae in my JBJ 28 that the whole black wall, is in effect all purple :). After scraping all the algae off the water turned pink but is now clear again. I have removed the metal halide hood to replace it with a CAD LED Unit but am contemplating a JBJ 28 LED Pro Hood to reduce evaporation. I also have bryopsis in my JBJ 28 however it's very localized and has not spread in the 2 years its been there. It is localized to the Vortech MP10, why it doesn't spread puzzles me. Last water change was about a month and a half ago.

Current Stock:

Tank: JBJ 28

Lights: CAD LED Light system

Water Flow:

Vortech MP10

JBJ Wavemaker

Stevie T's JBJ 28 Media Basket

Chemi-pure Elite

Purigen

Livestock:

Pygmy Angelfish

Pajama Cardinal x4