Coral Vue Hydros

Polyclad Flatworm

Lnm130

I think I spelled that right. For the last 3 weeks (ish) I have been trying to bait what I have determined to be a polyclad flatworm.

After noticing my clean-up crew was gone, my tank was over run by cyano, I went out and got a few snails, a new bulb, and a replacement Hyfor flo. Assumed the algae was due to my neglegance. (First year teacher) Walked by the tank that night only to see a brown shape on what should have been a red sandbed. Got a flashlight, saw 'it' munching on a snail, took a picture. Few days later, showed it to the manager at my lfs and recieved diagnosis.

crap.

If only I had known then what I do now. I'm too lazy to upload the picture right now. I've been baiting it by putting atrea upside down and waking at all hours of the night to see if the worm is taking the bait. Have not seen it since.

Any other way to catch this PITA? I'm battling some serious algae now, and am becoming increasingly frustrated with the tank. Added some phosphate filter pad stuff, increased water changes, and added a few nassarius snails (who promptly ate my apparently sick clam). I removed all empty snail shells (that I could reach...you'd be surprised how many there are when you go looking). This worm has not killed or eaten anything within the last 3ish weeks.

Looking for any and all advice.

Not really. They don't need to feed incredibly often (mainly because one meal is pretty darn big), making baiting them somewhat hit or miss. The best I can tell you is to continue trying that and observing until you spot it. They are extremely secretive and will only come out to feed (which, again, is not often), so diligence, patience, and a keen eye are required. Be prepared for it to secrete lots of thick, sticky mucus when you catch it, too.

They can be killed by Coral Revive.

If you know what rock they're hiding out in, you could try dipping the rock in Coral Revive according to the instructions.

I have no idea which rock it is inside. I'd have to take my entire tank apart, which is somewhat being considered at this point.

If I did do a Revive dip, would it come out of the rock? I'd want to know that I got it...

Would the Revive kill my micro brittles and everything? I'd almost just rather wait it out.

I got this tank already established back in June, rock and everything. I also added rock from another tank. So this thing could have come with the tank and could have been in there all that time? My god. I really want this thing out. Sounds like it will continue to be a huge PITA

• 2 weeks later...

Will Flatworm Exit work on the worm in post #2? I have one that is doing a job on my snails and I cant catch him. He knows I am after him because a few pieces of his ass have gone down my drain.<g>

Bob

I had a 8in one in my tank. Flatworm Exit will not kill them but will make them come out.

A yellow or christmas wrasse will eat them. Since I added these fish to my tank, none of my snails had died.

Archived