Pod Your Reef

ADA 30C: Desktop Office Aquarium

theatrus

Updates: Scroll down for current setup with lights and rockwork.

So I bit the bullet and got an ADA 30C tank for the office.

Current livestock: Threeemis Postitis, the yellow version with "sharpie" features.

officetank.jpg

Coming soon: Vortech MP10ES, 16 LEDs (8 XP-G, 8 XR-E) on my own driver (details soon) installed into the shelf above the system, and water :)

This will be fun. First time I've gone nano.

So I bit the bullet and got an ADA 30C tank for the office.

Current livestock: Threeemis Postitis, the yellow version with "sharpie" features.

officetank.jpg

Coming soon: Vortech MP10ES, 18 LEDs (6 XP-G, 6 XR-E) on my own driver (details soon) installed into the shelf above the system, and water :)

This will be fun. First time I've gone nano.

Sweet. 6+6=12 though. Good design though.

16 is way too many, you'll burn your corals

The driver is fully dimmable under microcontroller control (both channels). I'm also planning on only running at 350ma for efficiency. Ill start low. :)

Duly noted.

For reference, here is an earlier revision of the LED driver:

flexdrive_board.png

Dual LM3404HV drivers (up to 70V input for long chains)

ATMega88/168/328[PA] in TQFP-32 on board for PWM control.

Half-duplex RS485 port (the RJ12 connectors on the left side are for this), running a MODBUS-RTU stack on the AVR.

I'm an embedded electronics guy, can you tell? :)

Duly noted.

For reference, here is an earlier revision of the LED driver:

flexdrive_board.png

Dual LM3404HV drivers (up to 70V input for long chains)

ATMega88/168/328[PA] in TQFP-32 on board for PWM control.

Half-duplex RS485 port (the RJ12 connectors on the left side are for this), running a MODBUS-RTU stack on the AVR.

I'm an embedded electronics guy, can you tell? :)

Um can I have one

Will make a post once I've verified the board. Lots of things under construction :)

I'll have extra boards laying about, so if you have soldering skills (its all SMT except for the connectors, smallest part is an 0603) I can mail a few out.

New updates!

Water is in the tank, and revision one of the light is built and running. The light is installed in the shelf above the tank. Pro tip: A 12"x12" aluminum sheet may fit perfectly in your cube shelf too ;)

The optics aren't on it yet. The white balance of this shot is off - the Nexus One camera app gets rather confused with reef lighting. I will have to bring in my 5D at a later time. Also excuse the wires and magfloat - this is a construction zone! :)

officetank2.jpg

Nicely hidden are the Marineland Stealth 50W heater and the MP10es.

Temperature is tracking very nicely - the heater has a pretty small hysteresis :

thermtemp.png

Rocks are a mix of two live pieces plus two "cured" dry pieces from BRS. The picture doesn't show all of the caves in this mix.

Will make a post once I've verified the board. Lots of things under construction :)

I'll have extra boards laying about, so if you have soldering skills (its all SMT except for the connectors, smallest part is an 0603) I can mail a few out.

Yes please please please please.

I can handle 0402 after a cup of coffee. Worked with a wizard who made 01005's happen. Best technician I've ever seen. But really. Let me know if you have a few boards whenever. I'd love to check it out.

• 4 months later...

Archived