Pod Your Reef

Diogo's First Salt

Diogo Matias

Hello,

I'm Diogo, 23 years, portuguese freshwater aquascaper for almost three years. I've been in nano-reef.com for about 1 year, reading and learning a lot. Now I think I'm ready to take one step into saltwater.

The tank

To take that step I will use an 2 gallon (8 litre) almost rimless cube.

AqurioVazio.jpg

Lighting

I ordered an 5*3W PAR30 bulb with CREE leds in ebay. Also I asked the seller to exange two cool white leds for 2 blue leds, and to send me both 60º and 45º lens. I think it would make an wonderful effect in that pretty cube. I expect that bulb in September's end, just in time to get the first livestock.

Arrived at 12/10/2010

Lampadaenviusada.jpg

Filtration

The biologic filtration will be made mainly by live rock. I will buy about 2 pounds of it.

Also I will install an Eheim Liberty 2042 (the biggest hang on filter that adjust in the back of the tank) with Seachem Pugien and planning to do a fuge.

5 lbs of live rock

RochaViva.jpg

Maintenance

I'm planning a simple DIY ATO. Just the water sensor and reposition pump connected in circuit. I'll post the construction latter.

Also planning to do weakly water changes with both synthetic salt water and Atlantic ocean water (depending on the time I get to go to the beach in winter).

Photo comming soon

comingsoon.png

Livestock

I'm really newbie at saltwater. So I'll start with the most simple: soft corals.

I hope to get a good collection of zoas, shroms and cloves. Some rics and acans may have place latter in tank.

Photo comming soon

comingsoon.png

Evolution

21-09-2010 Setup

FTS21-09-2010.jpg

10-11-2010

03-12-2010lado.jpg

Note: I will update this post as the material arrives and tank evolves.

Hope you like it!

Best regards,

Diogo Matias

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ola' Diogo,

Mais um portugues no n-r.com :)

Good luck with your first reef and remember... take it easy!

Luis

Olá!

É óptimo saber que há mais 'tugas' aqui no nano-reef.com ;)

Keep following :D

I'll get the live rock and coral sand tomorow.

Today I ordered pieces for my DIY ATO and for an DIY Vortech style pump that I'm planning to improve circulation. They should arrive in two weeks.

RochaViva.jpg

I buyed about 5 lbs of cured live rock. However in the store I was unable to find any small rocks, so I have to brake this into several pices to make a good composition.

First question of the topic: What's this that I found in the live rock?

RochaVivaMacro.jpg

Best regards,

Diogo

looks like an old favia skeleton.

if there happens to be any residual tissue it may come back,

if not....well...you know the rest

Looks like a great build

Keep it up!

So... starting with the sand. It's some good looking coral sand. I hadn't use live sand because I belive that live rock and algae in the fuge will do the work well.

AreiadeCoral.jpg

Next is time to prepare the tank. I added an black background because I belive it work well in Reef style tanks. Also it will help to hide equipment in the back of the tank.

Preparandoamontagem.jpg

Then i filled the bottom with about 2 cm high of sand.

Enchercomareia.jpg

And smooth it.

Alisaraareia.jpg

The rock that I get yesterday was too big for this tank, so I brake it about the middle. But even this way it still remains to big for the composition I imagined. So I keep braking it until get the pieces I wanted.

You can see the aquascaping work in the next GIF image.

res708ec5abfbf1ea3a57a173b7b999e6bb12850676091.gif

The final rockwork is this:

FTS21-09-2010.jpg

It's a triangular layout with hiding places in the back of the main rock and good space to display some zoas, rics and polyps.

I filled it with natural sea water about 2 hours ago, and the water is almost clear, but my camera is out of battery so I'll post the filled pic tomorow.

Hope you like it!

looks awesome ill be fallowing.

can you post a link to were you got your led light and diy vortec ?

The light would come from Ebay, specifically from this seller. Until now I can only say that he is really nice! He made on propose que light I asked for a really good price.

The Diy Vortech is still just in my mind, but is inspired in this project. I hope it work!

Thanks Newman and bxz, i'll follow that advice.

Mr. Microscope, the photo is comming!

Mr. Microscope

Splash! Well done!

I'd take your thermometer and stuff out of there. At least for photos. Just measure it a few times a day until you get a hang of the temperature swing. If you have decent flow, a stable heater, and a relatively temperature stable room you should be okay.

That's the floating densimeter I am using until the refractometer arrives.

I'll take it out for next pics ;)

Question: When should I test the water for the first time? I was thinking doing that only after the first week because of the great initial instability.

There is no rule when you should test the water: you can test it everyday from tomorrow on and witness the complete nitrogen cycle developing (and ending) or leave it for 1 or 2 weeks and measure it then. If you are not interested in the details, you can measure it every 2 or 3 days... maybe you will catch a nitrite spike at some point which tells you that you are "half" way through...

Until the diatoms come you can pretty much sit back and relax :)

Archived