inTank Media Baskets

Project 60 Cube

tyty22

Marinelands 2ft x 2ft x 2ft Cube with center overflow. clean black silicone and fancy thick trim.

0916001818.jpg

So im a senior in high school and my school has a senior project requirement to graduate. And upon showing my girlfriend around a local reef shop called ...well... the reef shoppe, i came across this beautiful tank that got me thinking.Why not set up a salt water aquarium for my senior project. Although i haven't had it aprroved im 90% sure im in the clear.

I have always wanted to set up a large reef tank and getting a grade for it ?? AWESOME

much more to come, i just picked up the tank

I have been planning this for a month so i have TONS of ideas i will share later

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cube came with an overflow in it. It is a customized version of the glass-holes 1400gph overflow. That being said I don't recall how much the marineland overflows can handle. I'd check the marineland website and see if they list the flow rate. If it isn't listed you can use the diameter of the drain pipe as an estimate. If you search around there are max flow rates for different diameter pvc pipes.

I have read some complaints about the marineland overflows that are centered in the back wall of the tank. They are relatively narrow and people have a hard time accessing the overflow and fitting a y in the return lockline. I personally paranoid and would prefer to use both bulkheads as drains, one being a backup, and run the return lockline over the lip of the tank. Again that is just what I had been planning.

My cube came with an overflow in it. It is a customized version of the glass-holes 1400gph overflow. That being said I don't recall how much the marineland overflows can handle. I'd check the marineland website and see if they list the flow rate. If it isn't listed you can use the diameter of the drain pipe as an estimate. If you search around there are max flow rates for different diameter pvc pipes.

I have read some complaints about the marineland overflows that are centered in the back wall of the tank. They are relatively narrow and people have a hard time accessing the overflow and fitting a y in the return lockline. I personally paranoid and would prefer to use both bulkheads as drains, one being a backup, and run the return lockline over the lip of the tank. Again that is just what I had been planning.

Woo hoooo Another cube. Following

I would like to keep the tank with just the one overflow to keep a clean look. No return lines over the back. However im having a real tough time finding the exact GPH of this overflow.

I knew from the start it has somewhat of a lower GPH overflow so i have planned on using a mj1200 to chanel water through a series of outlets hiden in the rock work.

To challenge the great height of this tank and create an amazing aquascape im going to use this technique i came across in Guia X's 120g Oceanic Thread.

With 50pounds of Marco Dry Base Rocks for marinedepot

3661104196_c09a2210db_o.jpg

3660305121_fd38289d65_o.jpg

3660305575_84965dfb14_o.jpg

3660306177_7f13b54792_o.jpg

Guia x i hope you dont mind me borrowing your pictures

I would like to keep the tank with just the one overflow to keep a clean look. No return lines over the back. However im having a real tough time finding the exact GPH of this overflow.

I knew from the start it has somewhat of a lower GPH overflow so i have planned on using a mj1200 to chanel water through a series of outlets hiden in the rock work.

I agree with you on the clean look. I wouldn't run lockline over the top without a canopy to hide the mess.

Did some work with sketchup and drew up a stand. Im going for an overkill 2x4 frame. Im not 100% on the finishing wood choice just yet. however im leaning towards 1/2inch birch ply and maple trim.

thoughts?

famecube.png

brown.png

withlight.png

There will be 6"x6" tiles on each side of the tank.

Im using a 175w metal halide to light the tank and i want to DIY 6 blue high output leds for actinic lighting in the future

Sump Setup Out of a 20long. I estimated the total overflow for like 3-4gallons.

sump.png

sump1.png

I have never designed a sump before so any suggestions would be great

Sump Setup Out of a 20long. I estimated the total overflow for like 3-4gallons.

sump.png

sump1.png

I have never designed a sump before so any suggestions would be great

I would suggest putting your return chamber in the center and your fuge on the end.Tee off of your return then add a ball valve to adjust the flow going to your fuge.Good luck which ever way you decide.

I like that idea. Being able to adjust the Fuge Flow would important, especially when i start using it as a Frag tank.

Im also going to have a T off my return pump and run a valve to pump extra flow back onto the sump.

anyother input before i sketchup a new design?

I would suggest putting your return chamber in the center and your fuge on the end.Tee off of your return then add a ball valve to adjust the flow going to your fuge.Good luck which ever way you decide.

That is how mine is set up. I have a nice gentle flow in the fuge.

New toys

JBJ ATO, Quiet one 3000, aqua stick putty

0929002103.jpg

50lbs of marco key dry rocks-marinedepot did a great job shipping the little tupperware dish has all the broken fragments not much imo,

0929001956.jpg

Compared to the tank

0929001958a.jpg

more of the tank

0929002104.jpg

very small overflow

0929002106.jpg

I did some normal aquascaping tonight and now im thinking about scratching the whole pvc hook method like i said before.

I may just stick with a simpler design for aquascaping.

Now im starting to add saltwater from my 20 gallon tanks water changes to a spare 30 gallon tank in the basement to start cycling the rocks.

I started some pvc rock work tonight.

I'm using 1/2" cpvc and a 3/8" masonary bit to drill 1-2" deep and then connect them with 3-4" sections of the cpvc between both rocks. pictures when im finished

When im finished drilling my rocks, my next plan is to build the 2x4 frame for my stand.

i have changed my mind a little bit with the stand. Same design as i sketched but with a rustic white trim and more of a hickory brown face. and 1"x1" glass tiles

Also i bought a Reef Octopus 160 Extreme skimmer from Nick's Reef this weekend. so i hope to have it within a week or two. Then i can finalize my sump plans.

blizzardscout2

This should be a sweet setup. Most of my favorite setups I see @ LFS are using this aquarium. Cant wait to see this guy in action. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update

got a good amount accomplished in the past couple of days

Pictures will explain

new toys to help make my life easier (4ft clamps 90 jointer and pocket hole jig)

100_6734.jpg

7 top choice 2*4's

cut em up

100_6737.jpg

boxed the top and bottom

100_6738.jpg

100_6746.jpg

100_6747.jpg

shot of my dads garage remodel

100_6748.jpg

finished the rest up in the basement

100_6793.jpg

some may call it over kill, i call it being able to sleep at night

100_6798.jpg

direct support under the tank itself

100_6812.jpg

filled 30 gallon long with water and salt

100_6767.jpg

AND THEN MY SKIMMER CAME (thanks Nicksreef) its a Reef Octopus 160 Extreme skimmer

100_6772.jpg

100_6790.jpg

100_6791.jpg

and got my rocks all wet

100_6806.jpg

100_6809.jpg

Archived