Top Shelf Aquatics

Soopabruva1's 20H Version 2.0

Soopa1

I never got around to doing a build thread for Version 1.0, so here is a reaally bad FTS of 1.0 w/ specs

4-2010

DSCN0082.jpg

Equipment:

20H AGA

2 x K1's

AC100 Fuge

Aquaticlife 4x24 T5

Fish:

2x False Percs.

1x Royal Gramma

Inverts:

1x Cleaner Shrimp

1x Emerald crab

1x smallTiger conch ( thats what LFS said)

Reef Cleaner CUC

Coral:

1x Torch

1x Hammer

1x Zoas of some kind

September 2010 FTS of 2.0 w/ specs

DSCN0365.jpg

Feb. 2011

DSCN0627.jpg

Equipment:

20H AGA

MP10

GlasHoles Nano con dientes overflow

Aquaticlife 4x24 T5

Aprrox: 7-8 gallon sump/fuge

JBJ ATO

Quietone 2200 return

DIY Foam rockwall

Fish:

2x False Percs.

1x Royal Gramma

1x purple firefish RIP, caught a wave

Inverts:

1x Emerald crab

2x smallTiger conch 1 in display 1 in fuge

1x GBTA

1x Dersea Clam

Reef Cleaner CUC

Coral:

1x Hammer

Lotsa Zoas of some kind (I gotta get around to finding out what they are)

1x Large Finger leather

1x Small Neon Finger leather frag

1x Pulsing Xenia

2x Trumpet Frags

Very nice job on both tanks. You did great on the foam wall. I had to actually "look" for the overflow box.

But I did notice you have some small patches of hair algae. MY advice- get rid of it NOW. If you don't, it will spread and spread and spread......happened to me :(

Other than that it looks good :D

DSCN0160.jpg

I decided I wanted a sump, but I didn't have a lot of room in this stand. The space down there was around a foot long and 10 inches high if I remember correctly. I had an old 10 gallon laying around so I took it apart and had it cut down.

DSCN0092.jpg

Re-siliconed..

DSCN0096.jpg

Baffles added, and now we have a sump. This was my first silicone job as you can see :D

DSCN0157.jpg

Very nice job on both tanks. You did great on the foam wall. I had to actually "look" for the overflow box.

But I did notice you have some small patches of hair algae. MY advice- get rid of it NOW. If you don't, it will spread and spread and spread......happened to me :(

Other than that it looks good :D

Believe me, I have TRIED! That small patch will not go away. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, I see you like my faux rock to hide the overflow! :D

No need to show more pics of glass drilling and foam wall builds so here is the final result

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention that this build spanned a few months because of time constraints and I got a new tank instead f drilling the old. These pics are from May I think.

Soon after this a bad string of events happed. I added new sugar sand in the tank, seeded with some old sand, transferred my rock, and ran carbon for a few days. I tested parameters and NOTHING. I add my livestock and EVERYTHING dies the next day except for some snails and my corals. The only thing I can think of was that I didnt wash my sand. I wasnt really paying attention and dumped it in (after I added water). I also want to add that there was never any ammonia spikes, nitrates, anything til this day. Any ideas?

I week after this I had a heater malfunction while I was at this beach and that melted my torch.

Hard lessons learned...

Try algae fix from api. It didn't really get rid of all of mine, but it made it really lose and easy to scrape/suck up.

Sorry about your loses :(

It could have been from ammonia, but it would of had to of been a lot to do it overnight.

Some final pics

DSCN0338.jpg

This isn't current, I actually have mangroves in there now. Since I dont have it enclosed, I want it to be more of a display fuge.

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Try algae fix from api. It didn't really get rid of all of mine, but it made it really lose and easy to scrape/suck up.

Sorry about your loses :(

It could have been from ammonia, but it would of had to of been a lot to do it overnight.

I actually have some of that and i worked pretty good, but around the same time my Zoas started melting away. I thought it was related, but since they are almost all gone anyway, I might try it again.

danthenewreefman

lookin good mate! finally got it up i c.....:-)

i got one of the tigers and two emeralds from aquarium center too, I love the conch, wish I'd got a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey whats the diminsions of your sump. For my 20L im going to be using a 10 gallon and like your design. Mine will only be a fuge and then return pump and I wanted to do a bubble diffusing tower like you did.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey whats the diminsions of your sump. For my 20L im going to be using a 10 gallon and like your design. Mine will only be a fuge and then return pump and I wanted to do a bubble diffusing tower like you did.

Sorry for the VERY late response, but it was a 10 gallon that I cut down 3 inches. Dont know the exact dimensions of a 10 gallon of the top of my head, but just subtract 3 from the height and there you have it.

• 4 months later...

Couple of new shots, I have been without a camera for awhile. Oh and if you couldn't tell,my camera skill suck! :P The color is waaay off

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

This tank looks awesome. I'm going for the same basic look of a wall with a jut out in the rock. What type of sand did you use for the wall? It had a darker hue in the pics you posted before you filled up the tank. Or is it the lighting?

Also did you use the egg crate idea of just foam the back wall and stick rocks in it? The rocks look seemless like there are no zip ties holding them on.

This tank looks awesome. I'm going for the same basic look of a wall with a jut out in the rock. What type of sand did you use for the wall? It had a darker hue in the pics you posted before you filled up the tank. Or is it the lighting?

Also did you use the egg crate idea of just foam the back wall and stick rocks in it? The rocks look seemless like there are no zip ties holding them on.

The darker sand was actually play sand from Lowes. Some people say its safe, some dont. Since I coudnt fine a definate answer, I used regular sugar sand. The play sand also didnt look natural(too dark) and didnt adhere as well as the finer sugar sand. I would use that if I were you. I used eggcrate and zipties. The holes you see in the rocks are from them, which I hate. Next time I may drill on the side or something.

• 2 months later...

The T5 combo was

Blue +

Fiji Purple

Aquablue Special

Blue +

The 75 is actually up and running. I got 2 BoostLED Mu fixtures and was trying to find a way to mount them without hanging from the ceiling. Right now they are resting on some plywood planks..lol After I figure that out I'm gonna post pics. Thanks for asking! I'm following your tank and its looking good!

nice wall. I like your over flow....

I'm working on my tank right now. Trying to design it... I have a JBJ12G and I'm taking the back wall out. I already have two holes in the bottom and I would like to use them... I have been thinking about not closing my holes up with a over flow, but put two tall pvc pipes to the height of my water in my tank. Then surround the pipes with rock.

Does this make since so I took the back wall out and two holes in the back right corner... I was thinking about this to take advantage of space in my small tank... would this work??

Archived