uwwmatt

Welcome to my 25G CADlight Thread

Established September 2010

IMG_6737b.jpg

Full tank shot taken September 2012

Video:

October 2012 Tank of the Month Winner

Equipment:

• Tank: 25G CADlights AIO (discontinued model)
  • Lighting: Nanobox 24 LED unit
  • Controller: ReefKeeper Lite w/ SL2, Salinity Probe, and 2x PC4s
  • Circulation: Vortech MP10, Stock Return pump
  • Heaters: 1x 100w and 1x50w backup on a separate outlet
  • ATO: Dual Float switches controlled by the Reefkeep run a Tom's Aqualifter pulling from a 5G reservoir
  • RO/DI: Air Water & Ice Mighty Mite
IMG_6727-1.jpg

Livestock: updated 9/12

• Orange Spotted Goby
  • Percula Clownfish
  • Springer’s Damsel
  • Royal Gramma
large.gallery_31815_88_1356252579_56927. large.gallery_31815_84_1356252564_55690. large.gallery_31815_5_1356252559_55261.j
  • Euphyllia paranchora (Branching Hammer)
  • Euphyllia paradivisa (Frogspawn)
  • Cynarina lacrymalis (Button Coral)
  • Fungia repanda (Plate Coral)
  • Lobophyllia hemprichii (Brain Coral)
  • Lobophytum sp (Devil's Hand)
  • Sinularia brassica (Cabbage Leather)
  • Capnella sp (Kenya Tree)
  • Sarcophyton sp. (Toadstool Leather)
  • Pachyclavularia (GSP)
  • Tubipora musica (Pipe Organ)
  • Anthelia sp
  • Parazoanthus spp (Yellow Colony Polyps)
  • Protopalythoa spp. (Button Polyps)
  • Zoanthus spp (Zoanthids)
large.gallery_31815_6_1356252526_51886.j large.gallery_31815_6_1356252532_52732.j large.gallery_31815_6_1356252557_54910.j
  • Lybia sp (Pom Pom Crab)
  • Clibanarius tricolor (Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit)
  • Paguristes cadenati (Scarlet Hermit)
  • Ophiactis spp. (Micro Brittle Stars)
  • Lysmata wurdemanni (Peppermint Shrimp)
  • Tridacna Crocea (Clam)
  • Neopetrolisthes ohshimai (Porcelain Anemone Crab)
IMG_6781.png

Previous Tanks:

25G Mixed Reef June 2010 TOTM Winner:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179289

large.gallery_31815_2_1356252501_49725.j

December 2008 to September 2010

14G Biocube:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159800

th_nano-reef-1.jpg

2007 to January 2009

2.5G custom desktop pico:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156154

th_IMG_3896.jpg

May 2008 to March 2009

8G Biocube:

2007 sometime I cant remember -_-

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTS101.jpg

On Thursday 8/26 I went out and bought a used Cadlight tank, stand, and light for $250. I had recently decided that my previous tank, a 25g tank with sump, was becoming more work than I wanted to deal with. I felt like I was constantly sticking my head under the tiny stand and trying to regulate the flow from the return pump and overflow, or clean out the filters. And because of the vibrating noise it made I had to put it in sort of an awkward spot so it wouldn't bother my downstairs neighbors. It had a good run; winning TOTM here on N-R as well as couple other reefing websites. Another issue was cord management. Because I bought the tank piece by piece I never really organized things all at once the way I wanted. Cords from the controller, pumps etc. began to get tangled up in back.

IMG_9704.jpg

Here is the old tank getting ready for the transfer. If it looks neglected, its because it was my wedding/honeymoon and I was basically gone all of august and someone else was taking care of it. (They only managed to kill one fish :angry: ). You can see how the light is to big for the tank, I bought used and couldn't pass up such a cheap price. The 10G tank you see on the left of the picture would hold my coral and livestock for a few days while I moved the sand and let it settle in the new tank. My new tank would have a much shallower sand bed so I just scooped up the top 2 inches of sand and transferred it to the CAD tank.

IMG_9702.jpg

Here I have begun filling the tank. I would end up using a mixture of freshly made saltwater, and old tank water. At this point I hadn't hung the light yet. Big mistake on my part. I should have hung the light and then centered the empty tank under it, rather than filling the tank and trying to center the light over the tank by myself.

IMG_9728.jpg

With my livestock acclimating comfortably to the 10G I went about setting up wiring. This is what it looks like as of this moment. But I have some cord hiding stuff coming in the mail shortly that I will use to do a better job of concealing the wires in and outside of the stand. My goal is to eliminate dangling wires. I also installed a small LED tap light inside the cabinet.

IMG_97141.jpg

The actual transfer of corals and inverts happened on Monday and went very smoothly. I used significantly less liverock, probably only 1/3 of what was in the old tank, maybe even less counting the sump. Because I am not running a sump my total water volume is considerably lower. Also,this tank's ability to filter biologically and mechanically is far lower than my previous tank because of leaving out the liverock and skimmer. As a result I have decided to move from 5 fish to 1or 2, which will be added at a later date. My current fish, which are still in the 10G, will be sold or donated to other reefers.

SPECS (updated 5/2/11)

Tank:Glass CAD Tank

Light:150W HQI + 2x 24W T5 CAD Light - suspended from ceiling,

12k Reeflux Bulb, ATI Blue + actinics

Controller:Reefkeeper Lite + SL2+Salinity Probe, dual float switch kit for ATO.

Circulation: Vortech MP20 + Stock Return Pump (apprx 355GPH)

Cooling: 4 fan aquarium unit

Filtration:Bioballs, Filter floss, Chemipure Elite, Tunze 9002 skimmer

Plans:

The tank also came with a 2x14W T5 fuge light fixture, but it did not fit with my fan. I would like to try mounting the fan, or fuge light to the wall and fill the middle chamber with chaeto.

I put bioballs in the first chamber really only because I needed something to hold up the filter floss and carbon bag. I plan on eventually removing the bioballs and replacing them with a custom made fuge rack.

IMG_8421.jpg

Stocking List:

coral

• Euphyllia paranchora (Branching Hammer)

• Lobophytum sp (Devil's Hand)

• Caulastrea curvata (Trumpet Coral)

• Caulastrea furcata (Candy Cane)

• Euphyllia paradivisa (Frogspawn)

• Sinularia brassica (Cabbage Leather)

• Seriatopora hystrix (Pink Bird's Nest)

• Seriatopora guttatus (Green Bird's Nest)

• Capnella sp (Kenya Tree)

• Sarcophyton sp. (Toadstool Leather)

• Cynarina lacrymalis (Button Coral)

• Pachyclavularia (GSP)

• Ricordea florida

• Tubipora musica (Pipe Organ)

• Fungia repanda (Plate Coral)

• Actinodiscus sp. (Mushrooms)

• Anthelia sp

• Montipora Spongodes

• Duncanopsammia axifuga (Duncan)

• Parazoanthus spp (Yellow Colony Polyps)

• Protopalythoa spp. (Button Polyps)

• Zoanthus spp (Zoanthids)

• Lobophyllia hemprichii (Brain Coral)

• Montipora sp.

Inverts

• Lybia sp (Pom Pom Crab)

• Lysmata amboinensis (Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp)

• Calcinus elegans (Electric Blue Hermit)

• Clibanarius tricolor (Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit)

• Paguristes cadenati (Scarlet Hermit)

• Ophiactis spp. (Micro Brittle Stars)

• Asterina Starfish

Fish

Orange spotted Goby

Perc

Spot Gill Cardinal

IMG_5418_2_.jpg

Love the new tank!!!

B)

Thanks

I have been tossing around the idea of making this a species tank. Does anyone have any ideas for a sweet fish with relatively easy feeding requirements? I thought about seahorses, but I don't want to be constantly feeding the tank, and having to do millions of water changes.

I have also considered the Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish, but I hear they can be difficult to feed frozen food.

You already have a couple nice specimens of crabs up there, why not make a crustacious species tank? Crabs were cool in the 70s right?

I am a bit nervous about adding more crabs to the tank. Other than the pom pom and Porcelain crab I worry about most other available species attacking snails/shrimp and stealing food from corals.

I finished the cord cleanup and filled up the cabinet. Most of the stuff underneath was included with the tank I bought. Probably more than $200 in test kits and supplements.

IMG_9740.jpg

New FTS for Friday

IMG_9742.jpg

That. Tank. Is. Awesome!

It's super clean and super neat! I also really like that cabinet/stand. Definitely enough space to keep everything organized. And i know what you mean when you got frustrated with your last tank because #### was all over the place and such.. That was the main reason i took apart my 55G.. i had no sump.. no cabinet, just a stand, and there were cords all over the place. It was terrible.

But seriously, excellent tank and great angle of that FTS.

Looking very nice Matt.Your old take is what made me get into the hobby.I went from my biocube to my Elos and am thinking about going back to AIO closed top.Seems my wifes friends kids like to put there hand in the tank. :rant:

Tank looks amazing. More FTS's!

Looking very nice Matt.Your old take is what made me get into the hobby.I went from my biocube to my Elos and am thinking about going back to AIO closed top.Seems my wifes friends kids like to put there hand in the tank. :rant:

Thanks guys,

I have been lazy, but I will get more photographs up this week.

• 1 month later...
very nice tank.Man you got a deal

Thanks Plainrt

Yeah it was great. I was actually looking at buying a new Cadlight tank when I happened to notice this guy selling his on the MARS website. He also through in a ton of test kits and supplements.

Thanks Plainrt

Yeah it was great. I was actually looking at buying a new Cadlight tank when I happened to notice this guy selling his on the MARS website. He also through in a ton of test kits and supplements.

damn i missed that tank.I would have bought it i think.I like them better then my biocube.

• 4 weeks later...

This tank is amazing. I love the corals you have. They are truly amazing. Have you see good growth rates from the GSP? Do you think that the Branching Hammer Coral is a fairly easy coral to keep? I was hoping to get one in the near future. I was thinking about getting the non-branching type though. Have you had any problems with it stinging other corals? Have you seen good growth rates from it? What about your Candy Canes?

I was also thinking about getting a Reef Keeper Lite for Christmas. Do you like yours? I was thinking about running fans, a heater, a ATO ststem using the float switch from them, and Lunar LEAD's using the MLC module. I will probably end up getting a the RKL (Plus) Package and then purchasing the float switch and MLC module. I will probably get the Lunar White LED's. What do you think?

Also, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be awesome. I could really use some feedback.

This tank is amazing. I love the corals you have. They are truly amazing. Have you see good growth rates from the GSP? Do you think that the Branching Hammer Coral is a fairly easy coral to keep? I was hoping to get one in the near future. I was thinking about getting the non-branching type though. Have you had any problems with it stinging other corals? Have you seen good growth rates from it? What about your Candy Canes?

I was also thinking about getting a Reef Keeper Lite for Christmas. Do you like yours? I was thinking about running fans, a heater, a ATO ststem using the float switch from them, and Lunar LEAD's using the MLC module. I will probably end up getting a the RKL (Plus) Package and then purchasing the float switch and MLC module. I will probably get the Lunar White LED's. What do you think?

Also, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be awesome. I could really use some feedback.

Thanks. All the corals in my tank are very easy to take care of and have grown significantly since I have purchased them. My GSP have not grown as fast as some I have had in the past, but that is a good thing because those things can grow out of control. If you want a really fast growing coral try the Yellow Polyps or Pulsing Xenia. My candy canes have grown a ton. The all started has single or double heads and the blue one has dozens now. I have fragged it twice over the last 2 years.

The only time I have problems with stinging corals is when my electric blue hermit bulldozes something over. I have lost a fair number of candy cane heads that way.

As for the RKL I stand 100% behind them. I love mine. It has made things so much easier. Having it control the heaters and fans especially. My temps are much more stable. As for the float switch I use a Tsunami ATO so I am not familiar with the DigitalAquatics ones that go with the RKL.

Thanks. All the corals in my tank are very easy to take care of and have grown significantly since I have purchased them. My GSP have not grown as fast as some I have had in the past, but that is a good thing because those things can grow out of control. If you want a really fast growing coral try the Yellow Polyps or Pulsing Xenia. My candy canes have grown a ton. The all started has single or double heads and the blue one has dozens now. I have fragged it twice over the last 2 years.

The only time I have problems with stinging corals is when my electric blue hermit bulldozes something over. I have lost a fair number of candy cane heads that way.

As for the RKL I stand 100% behind them. I love mine. It has made things so much easier. Having it control the heaters and fans especially. My temps are much more stable. As for the float switch I use a Tsunami ATO so I am not familiar with the DigitalAquatics ones that go with the RKL.

Thanks, that is a lot of good information that has helped me a ton!!

Awesome tank, I have been looking into the cadlights as well. Did you buy the tank and then the lights separately? I notice on their page it is not an option to get the mh+t5 combo light.

New FTS

IMG_01742.jpg

Awesome tank, I have been looking into the cadlights as well. Did you buy the tank and then the lights separately? I notice on their page it is not an option to get the mh+t5 combo light.

My light is MH T5 combo and it is the one that originally came with the tank..

Archived