inTank Media Baskets

My modified rio nano skimmer with imagine surface skimmer

GOODgREEF

So I have a taam rio nano skimmer that I have been using for awhile and have been pleased with it. I added an airline tube with t-valve connected to the Venturi tube and it makes adjusting bubbles a lot easier. It has improve the skimmer a whole lot better. Now I wanted to make the skimmer more efficient by adding some sort of surface skimmer to get rid of oils and nasty stuff on the surface. I looked into the fluval surface skimmer, but it was too pricey for me and ugly. Then recently I saw a fellow nano-reefer have a dr foster and smiths power filter with oxy surface skimmer. It looked a lot better than the fluval. So I contacted foster and smiths to find out if I can just order the skimmer part by itself. They gave me the number to the manufacture imagine and I talked to the guy and was able to

have one sent within a week for only 5 bucks!

I didn't know if it would fit on the skimmer but assumed it will. The package arrived last night and I tried hooking it up. The skimmer valve and tube fit perfectly with the skimmer intake tube and all I had to modify was cut a piece from the skimmer so the surface skimmer can float properly

It has been working great and making the surface clear. The foam production is alot thicker. I do not have alot of skimmers yet.

Here's a picture of my skimmate before the mod. I will take another picture later this week.

4929694791_d7fec499c4.jpg

4930219500_1d4513d854.jpg

I added an airline tube with t-valve connected to the Venturi tube and it makes adjusting bubbles a lot easier. It has improve the skimmer a whole lot better.

Can you show us some pictures of this mod to the venturi tube?

Nevermind, The saw the flickr photo of the mod

also, do you have a problem of the skimmer dumping a lot of microbubbles into the display?

I think u can see the airline tube in the second pic. I can take another picture when I get the chance.

About the microbubbles, it blasts tons when I turn it on , but within 30 Mins it breaks in the microbubbles minimizes greatly. It doesn't bother me as much.

i have the same skimmer and it produces so many microbubbles i had to get rid of it, lemme know if that mod takes care of it

I dont think this mod takes care of the microbubbles, I was just asking if he too had a microbubble issue.

I was able to reduce the microbubbles by stuffing some filter floss at the water outlet from the skimmer

so do you have the venturi tube pulled all the way up for this mod?

Not all the way up, but high enough to let the most air in.

BTW, once tuned properly ,I think this is a pretty good skimmer for $20

Yeah probably the best cheap skimmer available.

Archived