Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

36 bowfront

floridian reefer

floridian reefer

this is an acquired tank. the story behind this is it was donated to the local Ronald McDonald house about two years before Ivan ( Ivan was in 2004 ) by a local fish store and they were doing the maintenance on it until Ivan. after Ivan hit the company said they couldn't continue free services seeing how much damage and stuff they lost due to Ivan. Being a non profit and donations only, they could not hire anyone to take care of it. they had a volunteer for about 4 months. during Ivan the lights went out and the cpr protein skimmer quit working. im not sure of live stock except for a branching euphyllia, 2 clowns and a brittle star. when the volunteer stopped taking care of it for what ever reason the people of the Ronald McDonald house called the fish store when the water got about half way down to see what to do, they told them to push all the salt back in that built up on the tank and on the glass top and fill it up with tap water. its sat with no light or now protein skimmer only a power-head, and topped off with tap water and salt creep for 6 yrs. i started working for sacred heart hospital properties division may 2010. the building the Ronald McDonald house is in is our properties so stopping by one day seeing this tank in the corner i went and looked and seen two clown fish and a huge brittle star, at least 24" from tip to tip, and a skeleton of a euphylia. i asked about it they told me the story, i told her id volunteer to take care of it but they said id have to but the lights, skimmer, water for top off and changes... everything. i do not make that type of money so i offered to just buy it from them. they said they could not do that but if i donated something for trade, i ended up having to move a fallen tree blocking there drainage ditch and in turn they gave me the tank. after getting it home and doing a water change (the water salinity was at .016) i gradually over the next 2 weeks got it up to .025. I had the extra sump sitting around so i threw that on there and got some chatea and lr in it, bought a cpr hang on with fuge, and 3 24" glo 2 light t5s, only have 2 on it now. as soon as i put the fights on algae started everywhere!! and the war began. the rocks are real pretty though super deep purple! the sand bed was filthy, i stirred it up for once a week for 2months to get a lot of the detritus out. so the sand bed is pretty clean now, started doising vodka in july to help the algae after losing 2 sea hares and nudibranchs, astrea snails worked awesome for diatoms and dinoflagellets on back glass and overflow box. have a algae blenny in there now helping a little. blue leg hermits, whit leg hermits, cerith snail, nassaurius snails, 1 turbo, 6 astreas (my favorites), thats it for cuc. fish in there is 2 six line wrasses, a coral beauty, and an engineer goby, original clown jumped out after being in there for over 8 yrs :(

before vodka dosing, note gha every where

IMG_0029.jpg

after

DSCN2841.jpg

DSCN2842.jpg

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN2844.jpg

DSCN2845.jpg

DSCN2846.jpg

DSCN2847.jpg

DSCN2848.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg

DSCN2891.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

winning this battle so far!!!

floridian reefer

thanks man, love the avatar pic! yea its got all types of little caves and stuff sponges in all of them, hard to see detail and depth with pictures.

floridian reefer

new additions...

DSCN2940.jpg

DSCN2942.jpg

DSCN2943.jpg

DSCN2946.jpg

i know my pictures suck, any advice on camera would be greatly appreciated!! using coolpix s50.

Archived