Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

unique inverts?

Goonter

I am looking for some unique reef safe inverts that i could place in a 15 gallon specialty aquarium that houses only blastomussa corals. I want to add some "flare" to make it more interesting for the average viewer, but i have no clue of what crazy unique things are out there.

Please post suggestions or ideas!

Thanks!

Mr. Microscope

There's a pretty purple and orange reef lobster out there. I read that they hide a lot though. You could get a bunch of bumble bee shrimp.

There's a pretty purple and orange reef lobster out there. I read that they hide a lot though. You could get a bunch of bumble bee shrimp.

Most 'reef lobsters' are not actually reef safe.

Sexy shrimp sounds like a good bet to me. I don't know of any inverts commensal with blastos, but if there were one it sounds like a good bet. If not sexy shrimp, maybe some of those little clear anemone shrimps - always liked them.

Mustang Boy

depending on how aggressive the blastos are he might be able to have a few different critters as long as they all got along. maybe a group of 5 sexies, a few anemone shrimp, and a pair of harleys(not sure of their aggressiveness towards other shrimp though)

also will there be any fish in the tank? if so what kind

edit: i just thought of another one. porcelain crab(s) would be a good addition and they are are non aggressive filter feeders

MusicISUnlimited

I think one of the coolest things to see is a paired pistol shrimp and goby. You can get some nice colored shrimp and goby`s. They put on quite the show i find.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I would love a harlequin shrimp (always loved their looks), but i have no place to house starfish to feed it. The pistol/goby combo may not work in my tank as my sand bed is the carib sea indo-pacific (has big chunks). Definitely will be getting porcelain crabs. Thinking about even a pom pom crab, dunno if it is a good idea or not. I think i will also try a coco worm or 2. May look into sponges/tunicates. Not a fan of lobsters.

Now on the topic of shrimp: I am uncertain if i want to have shrimp because they seem to steal food off of corals when i try to feed the corals. If i did decide to get some shrimp, I have always gotten a good laugh at the sexy shrimp and completely forgot about those. So i would probably do a sexy shrimp and/or a yellow line shrimp.

I am uncertain of what fish i am going to put in the tank to be honest. I was considering probably a blue-line pseudo and a black cap basselet, but still can't decide.

Any more suggestions or ideas?

I think one of the coolest things to see is a paired pistol shrimp and goby. You can get some nice colored shrimp and goby`s. They put on quite the show i find.

my LFS actually have a pair... its pretty kool...

Mustang Boy

if you do get some sexy shrimp i would recommend getting 3-5+ especially with a 15g tank because they are so small you might barely ever see them if you only get 1. also im betting if you feed the sexy shrimp right before you feed your corals you will have no problems because they will be too busy eating their food to worry about scavaging food from the corals. i just looked up yellow line shrimp and the seem to be really cool especially if you got a small group of them since they live in groups.

i would also make sure that any fish you get wont see shrimp as tastey snacks

If you would like interesting then

Rock Shrimp (Urocaridella sp.)

These cool little shrimp hover around the aquarium. They are close to being completely clear and remind you of the movie predator when you see them in person.

Mike

those are awesome, too bad mine decided to jump after a molt... i dunno what that was about i found him behind my tank.

ok how big do rock shrimp get and do they really hover all the time?

and hells yeah once they get used to your tank they love floating around on the current. mine would do it especially during feedings

Mustang Boy
those are awesome, too bad mine decided to jump after a molt... i dunno what that was about i found him behind my tank.

and hells yeah once they get used to your tank they love floating around on the current. mine would do it especially during feedings

i am so getting some of these for my aquapod then that is so cool i think 2-3 floating aroudn would be an awesome sight.

also how safe would they be with a koralia in the tank would they be able to swim away if they got caught in the current being drawn into it?

Mustang Boy
1+ for Harlequin Shrimp all you have to do is get a tank for chocolate starfishes.

and drop a star fish in very 2 weeks

yea you could setup a basic 10g tank with basic lighting and live rock(even dry rock seeded with a little live rock will work) sand would be optional. an HOB like an aquaclear for flow and then a couple chocolate chip stars. if you dont want to have to buy a new star every few weeks you could get 2-3 up front and just cut legs off of them to feed them. one leg from one star then 3-4 days later a leg from a different star you could just alternate stars so they have time to regenerate the legs.

i am so getting some of these for my aquapod then that is so cool i think 2-3 floating aroudn would be an awesome sight.

also how safe would they be with a koralia in the tank would they be able to swim away if they got caught in the current being drawn into it?

The are pretty fun to watch but they do better in a low current tank if you want to watch them hovering around all the time.

Mike

a floating rock shrimp sounds pretty intriguing. Where do you buy one? Also, does anyone know if a shrimp compatibility chart exists?

a floating rock shrimp sounds pretty intriguing. Where do you buy one? Also, does anyone know if a shrimp compatibility chart exists?

You can check with Greenwich Aquaria, they get them in time to time or you can keep an eye on Live Aquaria since they do come in there as well.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

for shrimp ? take a look at bonngo shrimps tanks. im pretty sure his is one of the most diverse combos of shrimp & inverts on here. basket star, feather star, shrimp.

Archived