Cultivated Reef

gutterguys breeder,beer and bbq

gutterguy

7/28/10

cdfcc8b3.jpg

40b with 20l sump

Going to drill but not sure on overflow yet, herbie or glass holes, with two returns

Not sure on light yet but it between FNI 4x39 t5 or 2 150mh w/t5. Want mixed reef with some sps

All other equipment is still up in the air and depends on what i can get in the classifieds.

Stand will be diy, got my wood today and will get started this weekend

Monthly Full Tank Shot

Dec 1

IMAG0445.jpg

Jan 3

IMAG0527.jpg

Feb 6

IMAG0637.jpg

March 5

IMAG0820.jpg

April 3

IMG_0452.jpg

May 2

IMG_0698.jpg

June 6

DSC_0158.jpg

August 29

IMG_0861.jpg

Nov 27

IMAG0034-1.jpg

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got my 40B going a couple of weeks ago so I'm tagging along with your build :D

been following yours since you started. love the island formation, i have been thinking of doing two islands that will rise all the to the top like a volcano, but im sure my scape ideas will change ten times b4 my tank is even wet

Moving along here, I have have my DIY overflow made from a vinyl post sleeve, and built my frame for my stand

a4b8abd3.jpg

The stand will end up being skinned in birch plywood and stained with a translucent black stain. The top will be made out of concrete with color added to have a charcoal swirl pattern. Also there will be small shelves in the stand for food, test kits, etc. Also a spot to mount one of those DJ power strips.

0fb5f4c5.jpg

There wont be much more done for a few weeks as i a getting ready for vacation and wifey wont let me spend no more money.

• 5 weeks later...

Little bit of an update. Recieved my RO/DI yesterday, set up, flushed and did my first water change without store bought water. Also just ordered and recieved shipping confirmation(same day) from glass holes. Those guys were very helpfull and have been answering my questions via email for the last 2 evenings. I ordered the 700gph kit and 2- 3/4 inch return kits with loc line. Cant wait to recieve, drink a six pack and try drilling. I ordered the kit now so if i crack the tank i can go to petco and get another for $40.

Tank stand should be done in 2 weeks. Bought premade doors and i am going to bring it to my friends cabinet shop so i can do it right

Very interested in following. I missed the contest but I am going the exact same route with size, sump, and overflow box/return selection.

What return pump were going to go with? I was looking at the Quietone 3000, haven't heard much about them though but for the price it puts out a good number.

If you could, be as detailed as you can on the drilling/installation of the overflow and returns. D:

Hey AM sorry i did not post for aug. unfortunatly i was on vacation for 2 weeks and didnt do anything till the 31st and forgot about. I can take the contest out of my title.

On to the good news!!!! Drilled the tank sucsessfully today. I ordered the 700gph kit from GH with two 3/4" return kits. All three holes went perfectly. Also today i cut my baffles out of 1/4" acrylic and installed in my 20l sump using loctite silicone adhesive.

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

Next step is skinning the stand and getting return pump. As far as the pump ive been looking at a mag 9.5 and putting a SWCD on it to divert the water back and forth between the returns, also looking at the via aqua 3600 but have not research to much on that one yet.

Also i am getting a ASM g1-x skimmer. Has any body had any experience with these. I am getting at a great price from a friend.

looks nice so far man.. im doing something similar.. 40b with 20 l sump. glass-holes 700 kit with one 3/4 return. Waiting on my friend whos building me a 42 inch tall stand.

I think im going to get some egg crate like you have right before the return section to keep chaeto in.

Cant wait to see how this one progresses.

Thanks surf, Im hoping to have my stand skinned this weekend but i still have to do the top. Im going to make a concrete countertop for it.

• 2 weeks later...

just scored a ASM g1x skimmer for $100 and bought a triton deep blue 4000 for my return pump. Set it up for a leak test with all the plumbing and all is good. Next is to finish stand, buy dry rock, sand and lights

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, its been awhile since i have been able to do anything but i have been busy. Within the last week i have recieved my sand (ESV ultra white 50# coarse and 50# fine grade) This stuff is very bright white. I also recieved 30# of the carribean reef rock from reefcleaners. Picked up a Odyssey 4 bulb t5 light off CL. I have some UVL vho-r lights being shipped now. Plus i was able to finish my stand tonight. This weekend I hope to have the plumbing all done and have water in it after Thanksgiving

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

Beautiful work...Stand is Almost too nice to just put a tank on!! Impressive!

Thanks herefishy, my friend has a wood shop so that made it a little easier and I scored the granite top for free. I had to make it a piece of furniture so my wife would approve.

Shazam!

Nice touch with the Granite top. Does that remnant match anything else in your house?

No, unfortunately that's all the granite in the house, but the stained black oak does match my entertainment center

Finished plumbing today and did another leak test. Every thing looks pretty good. I still have to wait until after Thanksgiving to get set up and everything transfered

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

Good looking build!

I always had in mind a granite top stand and is very nice looking at one build...

How is your experience with the overflow so far...I read a lot of threads where people said they are very noisy...

Also what kind of lights did you pick to go with your new setup?

Looks good. Have you turned off your pumps in the tank yet? It doesnt look like you left much room in your sump for when you turn off power or your power goes out.

Good looking build!

I always had in mind a granite top stand and is very nice looking at one build...

How is your experience with the overflow so far...I read a lot of threads where people said they are very noisy...

Also what kind of lights did you pick to go with your new setup?

Thanks jd

So far the overflow is definitly noticeable, I have the tank set up in my garage and it doesnt seem horrible but we will see when it get into the house. Right now I can here the water from my sump more than the overflow.

As far as lights I picked up an older Odyseey 4 bulb t5 and just recieved new bulbs they are the UVL vho-r with reflectors I went with two 454 (85% triband blue 15% nichia phos), One Actinic White (12k) and one 75.25 (14k). I wanted a bluer look and this seems to be pretty good we will see when i get my corals in.

Byrdman - Yes i have done the power outage test. It fills up to about 3/4" under the lip. I have holes drilled on my loc line and also a check valve. I have been thinking of drilling some holes in my last baffle to lower the fuge level a little but i also dont want to take to much water out of the pump section.

Recieved 30# of the new carribean reef rock from RC glued some together.

First attempt, let me know what you guys think.

Also I will have a few small pieces from my BC

Thanks

gg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

Archived