inTank Media Baskets

geewiz a new tank

geewiz

this is my new tank thread.

i am not new to the aquarium hobby. my first tank i bred jack dempseys in a 20 gallon tall in 1981. my first salt water tank was in 1986.

ok enough of memory lane.

new tank is a oceanic biocube 29 gallon aquarium with factory stand. got it used, had some gold fish in it.

needed some tlc, lights were burned out including the leds. nano customs hooked me up and now i have the hood going. acid washed the whole tank and started messing around with the filtration bit in back. ran the unit for over a month with fresh water playing with different pumps and looking at different filtration possibilities.

so some pics

here i did some basic mods to make space for heater and to increase flow onto my filter pad. the orange lines are areas i removed.

0244.JPG

removed the bio balls and replaced with some dead rock that i seeded some ten years ago. so yeah basically fully cured live rock.

0253.JPG

here i tried a variety of different pumps. i settled on the mj 900. best sized pump watt to gph for the tubing and 90 elbow. i have left the screen off the pump that way any creature that comes out of the rock fuge may be pushed out into the main tank. i run "sump" at full volume, not drip.

0231.JPG

here is more of that old seeded rock. i raised it off the floor of the tank. this is a semi dsb tank. 3-4 inches fine sand. raising saves me from having to bury rock and prevents undermining if i had placed rock on sand.

0195.JPG

Is that a air tube going to your return pump?

that is ato, auto top off. lime water comes out of tube from ro/di and kalkreactor in basement.

i made an ato using some liquid level switches. the whole system is 12 dc. i bent the acrylic and tapped some holes. use two switches to have a back up. i am designing a circuit that turns on a buzzer that alerts me if a switch fails, just because i get bored and it may come in handy. i had a switch recently fail and didn't know for a few days. it failed open. that was the first time i had a switch fail in ten years.

different views.

0145.JPG

0122.JPG

the bracket off to give different view

0164.JPG

this is frankenstein, the ato ro/di that i made. it is what umm 6 stage, pre filter, 2 carbon, ro membrane, 2 di carts. the waste goes to my fish pond outside so no waste unless the outside temp freezes the line then it will automatically dump waste into waste pipe seen here. the fitered water then travels to....... you can see the 12vdc valve in this pic. the transformer is in the next pic.

0082.JPG

the kalkreactor. yeah i called it a kalkreactor but that is the name. precision marine kalkreactor. i have the unit running in line from ro/di at low pressure.

0094.JPG

this whole current system is about to be revamped as im am changing out the single valve to a new 6 valve manifold to provide ato to several tanks. currently my super ugly 10 gallon frag / qt is manual top off, which works because i put on a tight fitting lid that really slows down evaporation.

Archived