FTS from 9-30-10

photo-3.jpg

here's my empty 40B:

photo.jpg

Stand under construction:

photo4-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

still need to finish up the bracing and shelving near the bottom.

anyway, just a quick post for now... i'll edit this later to add more detail when i have more time (i.e. when i'm not at work).

edit:

that's not me in the pix...no making fun! :P

Stocking List:

zoas and palys (not big on names, but they're mostly the common ones)

pulsing sinularia (the big pink finger leather)

gold maxima

rainbow pocillopora

orange digi

undata monti (sp?)

acans (lords and echinatas)

blastos (merlettis and welsi)

branching hammer (purple tip)

frogspawn (pink tip)

encrusting metallic green gorgonian

blue cloves

neon green candycanes

pink and green stylopora (sp?)

mushrooms

rics

green cap (that's severely bleached)

maxi mini nem

mini mini nem

2 b/w clowns

1 mystery wrasse

1 starry blenny

tuxedo urchin

assorted snails and crabs

CoolNameGoesHere

update:

almost finished stand

photo6.jpg

finished stand

photo5-1.jpg

I cleaned up the 40b and the 20L sump, and lined the 40 w/ black window tint (b/c i didn't want to spray paint). I will post those pics later today.

Comin along slowly...

CoolNameGoesHere
wood.

awesome.

:D

Haha, thanks! Yea, I'm trying to stay as low-budget as possible for the time being. Plus it had to be kinda quick and dirty b/c the fish are temporarily housed in the garage (i just moved into a new place) and the weather's been hot lately. Anyway, built the stand w/ my pops from stuff lying around and a few odds and ends picked up from home despot. Total cost about $45.

The stand is about 45 inches tall, so i won't have to constantly bend over to see what's going on in there. There's a 20L that'll become a sump/fuge eventually. I still have to figure out plumbing; but i'm not gonna do any drilling.

I actually got the tanks from adinsxq (sp? - the red robot); they'd been sitting empty for almost a year or so. Finally have a chance to set them up so this is kinda a rebirth for them.

Anyway, some more pics!

Tanks cleaned and positioned. I used blackout window tint rather than spray painting (so if you look closely you can actually kinda see thru it...oh well).

photo-1.jpg

And here it is filled up w/ fresh water for the leak test. I have wood floors and my gf would kill me if anything happened to them. So far so good.

photo2-1.jpg

Last update for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CoolNameGoesHere
OMG HOW DID YOU GET THEM SO CLEAN

that's a great stand

Haha, dude, surprisingly, they weren't that bad!

did some scrubbin w/ a mr. clean magic eraser...made quick work of all the crusted on stuff, then rinsed and voila!

some of the latest updates:

tank and stand (sorry for the iphone pics)

photo2-2.jpg

from right side looking left thru the front of the tank

photo5-2.jpg

left side

photo3-1.jpg

right side

photo4-2.jpg

clearly still a work in progress. plan to eventually mount stuff, put the heater in the sump, rearrange some of the LR, maybe transfer some to the sump to make it look cleaner in the DT.

slowly but surely, definitely slowly.

• 2 weeks later...
CoolNameGoesHere

Quick update:

i had to do some major rearranging to extract an acan eating mithrax crab. so this is the current FTS:

012.jpg

i also finally got a real camera (a panasonic lumix dmc-LX5; not a pro camera by any means, but a huge step up from my iphone), and i'm still getting used to it. no more crappy iphone pics, haha. this is just a random pic on standard macro settings.

011.jpg

other than rearranging the rockwork, not much has changed. i really need to start mounting stuff so it doesn't look like a big frag tank.

• 1 month later...
CoolNameGoesHere

as you can see from the current FTS in the OP, not much has changed. i must have just had the actinics on in the october shot. though i did change out the reflectors, but i doubt it would have such a severe impact on the lighting as seen in the photos.

anyway, i'm not too happy w/ the scape, but i haven't been motivated to do much about it, hahaha. i've recently been battling minor red slime here and there, which is annoying. i don't feed all that often and i'm not that stocked w/ fish. however, i will say the starry blenny is a champion crapper. some of the biggest fish dooks i've seen relative to his size. and he lays them everywhere...on zoas, acans, cloves...he's an equal opportunity pooper i guess.

here's a couple random tank shots i took just before the lights went out:

one half of my clowns, and her home

P1000870.jpg

some of the acans. the one in the top center got crazy bleached (so did the micro on the right). i shaded it, but it doesn't seem to want to color back up... any tips are appreciated.

P1000868.jpg

that's it for now! :)

Archived