Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dnic's 29g

Dnic

This hobby all began as a freshwater adventure, but after a little research, I decided I wanted a reef tank.

I have a 29 gallon rectangular tank (30x18x12), an aquaclear 70 filter (300 gph), a 150w heater, and 2x hydor koralia nano 425 gph.

I have considered adding a refugium for copepods etc., but that will have to be added later, I don't have a suitable tank stand yet (to hide a refugium).

I have had the tank going for around 8-10 weeks with 40lbs of live sand in it.

Today I drove to get 40lbs of live rock from a guy off craigslist, and got away with the 40lbs of rock including two rocks covered with zoas for $100. Really nice rocks too, lots of coraline.

After putting all of the live rock into the tank, and adding the new light (Aquaticlife 4x HO w/ Lunar Lights), I have noticed quite an amount of hitchhikers in the live rock.

post-54314-1279863192_thumb.jpg

Today I went to a local store and bought a nice piece of LR, a coral and a critter.

I finished my aquascaping- takes a lot longer than I thought, puzzling the pieces together. Fun though.

post-54314-1279936480_thumb.jpg

post-54314-1279936758_thumb.jpg

post-54314-1279936887_thumb.jpg

Went to the LFS yesterday and had planned on just looking around. :happy: I almost got an anemone paired with two clarkiis, but instead i got a nice torch coral and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Right when I put the skunk shrimp into the tank, the blood shrimp chopped one of the skunk's antennae in half, then ate it.

Hopefully they will begin to co-exist, but right now they are just staying on opposite sides of the tank.

Here is the current aquascape. I think i'm going to move the ricordeas somewhere, but Im not sure where would be good. Any suggestions? I want a ricordea garden eventually.

I gave the torch some spot-fed brine shrimp last night, and it appeared to gobble them up.

post-54314-1280160471_thumb.jpg

post-54314-1280160807_thumb.jpg

bhskicker18

If you started this tank on July 22, you have way too much in it. It hasn't had enough time to cycle yet and when it does, it will kill your tourch coral and probable your shrimp. You need to let it cycle for a while (it can range from a rew weeks to months) then you can add your live stock. You can't rush things in this hobby. Now you can put Instant Ocean Bio-Spira in the tank and it has bacteria that won't cause a cycle (some people think this stuff is good, and others think its bad). But in my opinion, you need to let it cycle first.

And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Thanks for the advice!

The tank has been running for around 10 weeks with sand in it. I added the live rock soon before I started posting here, which came from a tank that had been running for about 10 years. I believe that my tank is fully cycled, as all the readings are still 0 ppm, but I'm no expert, so..

Let's hope that everything will be alright, everyone looks happy in the tank so far.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a new Octopus HOB skimmer, working pretty well for 1 week of operation. Already filled the cup 2 times.

Also painted the back of the aquarium, I like it better.

My firefish jumped :( , but my LFS is getting a tailspot blenny for me soon :ninja: .

post-54314-1294272057_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to my new skimmer, I've recently gotten a new BRS 75gpd Plus unit, along with a tailspot blenny and a new mag-rock. Pics:

189.jpg

227.jpg

073.jpg

Anyone see their mandarin hang out in the equipment?

096.jpg

219.jpg

224.jpg

118.jpg

Thanks pmcaree!

My clowns are starting to play in the torch, so i'm hoping that they will make it their home soon. If not i'm going to buy a BTA for them.

The tailspot is settling in quite nicely too.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I just got a dna helix acan, dragon soul prism favia, and a tyree fire echino today, i'm going to take some pix soon once they are happier.

And my mandarin died, had him for about 6 months :(

He disappeared a week ago and I never saw him again. I never even had an ammonia spike.

He was on frozen food. And he was eating pellets too. And I have pods.

But he disappeared :( I suspect I have another crab I haven't seen.

He's doing fantastic, he likes to swim with my clowns, even though they aren't very particular of it.

I'll snap some more pics of him

Sounds great. Is he out in the open a lot or hides/perches?

Here's what's been going on lately..

Got a new dna helix acan, dragon soul prism favia, and tyree fire echino. The acan needs to do a lot of coloring up, or else I got ripped.

Also check out how the torch has grown in the past five months..

First, FTS:

012.jpg

Second, Tailspot:

025.jpg

Torch with no flow!

2011-01-28_12-23-14_74-1.jpg

017.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Anyone need a hollywood frag? This thing grows like 1mm a day.

023.jpg

Sounds great. Is he out in the open a lot or hides/perches?

He is very active, but very camera shy. As soon as the camera comes out, he goes to his safe place.

He is usually out all day long, checking around the tank for some algae.

I like the fact that he will stay small because my small male clownfish is very uneasy around larger fish.

My reef octopus hob skimmer broke, after 1.5 months :(

The acrylic seams are coming apart between the reaction chamber and the overflow

Coralvue said they would ship me out a new body asap, though!

i was just looking into getting a tail spot blenny yesterday!

i dont want the normal old man lawnmower blenny. Tail spot is just different enough to make it interesting :)

he looks like a tribal warrior with facepaint

Archived