• 2-1400gph Koralia Evolutions
  • Eheim 180gph pump
  • 1-2bulb 36" T5 GLO fixture
  • 2-2bulb 36" Current SLR
  • CPR 300gph overflow
  • 13g Rubbermaid sump aka trashcan
  • Purelyh2o.com 75gph 4 stage RO/DI
  • Purelyh2o.com Media reactor w/ maxi-jet 1200 -- GFO+carbon
  • 34g roughneck trashcan with wheels\tetra 200w 7+year old heater\600gph Koralia = water station

Livestock

• ~40lb Tonga LR
  • ~10lb seeded Base LR
  • ~20lb of Texas holey rock chunks
  • Snail Species - Nerite, Astrea, Nassurius, Certh, Dwarf Certh, Periwinkles, Stomatellas, +1unidentified small type
  • Crab Species - 12 dwarf Blue leg hermits, full size now & 2 emerald crabs
  • Shrimp Species - 2 Peppermint shrimp
  • Starfish - Astrea Starfish & few white micro brittle stars & tigerstriped small brittle stars
  • LOTS of bristle worms, some 1inch and I see one regularly that's 10-16" long
  • Yellow tang
  • Maroon Clown
  • Ocellaris Clown
  • Starry Blenny
  • Clown Goby
  • Firefish GOby
  • Blue Damsel
  • Six-line wrasse
  • Blue Linka Starfish
  • Crocea Clam

Coral

• Favia
  • Euphyllia
  • Acropora and other branching SPS
  • Montipora
  • Zoa/Paly -- Moved to 5.5g pico, had some pods eating the hell outa them.
  • Couple different chalice species
  • Couple different mushrooms/rich
  • Metallic green open brain

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman
I like yer thread title...

:D

...subtle, yet you get the idea :-)

new tank was

temp 75.0

old tank

temp 77.0

...close enough, moved a zoa rock over and they all opened in 5 minutes. Moved Damsel over, looked happier than he was in the fuge prison.

So then I moved all the zoanthinds over and ALL over the LR, made a sick mountain in the middle like I wanted.

Left all the hard coral in old tank w/ no lights on it, will move them to new tank when I get home wanted it to heat up a little bit more.

Should have everything in the tank today. But still won't have 100% everything I need until pay day on July 27th.

PICS tonight.

danthenewreefman

The Damsels 5 month prison sentence has lowered his aggression issues...not likely.

He is nicer because:

A.There is a LOT more room

B.The Tang scares him

I think it is both.

45lb of rock and this thing looks like it COULD hold 450lb of rock. I like the low rock amount look though, but I worry about BIO-filtration capacity.

I plan to stick to these 4 fish and maybe add a blenny/goby body shapge to finish it all off. Low bio-load, or at least until the tang gets bigger.... won't take long for that with all this room.

danthenewreefman

Saltwater organisms are tougher than advertised.

I didn't acclimate ANYTHING and lost NOTHING. Everything is eating so I take that as a good sign...

My cheap plastic salinity thing when it says 1.025 my tank is really 1.029...right now the big tank is saying 1.020, so I'm assuming that is closer to ideal.

Feather dusters on LR survived and everything... Will take a few days to see if my sponges made it after being exposed to air for about 20 seconds.

Had 7 german shepherds less than 2 weeks ago, now I have 2 left...Chaaaching? I think so!

The tang looks TINY in the big tank, it will DEF take minimum 2 years for him to outgrow this thing.

danthenewreefman

everything still looking good

damsel will flash his fins towards tang, tang flashes his then pulls out his knife...damsel runs.

The clowns are still swimming crazy everywhere, but I expected as much, just takes them time to "feel at home"

The damsel and tang couldn't have cared less, they looked at home in 5 minutes.

Waiting for some algae to grow, I know it will, I'm expecting a minor cycle.

Big tanks pH stood right for like 1 day! Now the pH is back down (3 people in my house who smoke) to around 7.9. Until I figure out how to quit smoking or get fresh air into my tank this will never be right.

danthenewreefman

Everything still looking good.

WTF!!!!

Some new freebie, I wish I knew what it is! It was grazing on algae when I took the photo NEVER seen it before.

post-51644-1278805287.jpg

danthenewreefman

Some type of stomatella b/c of the flat shell

I tore down the old 30g last night...I can't fit the current fuge into my stand, I tried and tried. The stand has a 17 inch wide space the tank is like 16 and 1/2, but there is a lip on the front...it just won't fit!!!

I found a snail that had been left in tap water for like 15 minutes, threw him into the 75g and he landed on his back, this morning I saw him on his back and flipped him...and he started moving!!!

Damn I thought he would've died for sure! Tough little bugger!

danthenewreefman

post-51644-1278958293_thumb.jpg

I think I need to just have the pink one on this rock...I'll remove the other chalice before it grows down to it.

That pink one really has some attitude.

Ignore the colors, it was taken with flash on.

danthenewreefman

A 12g jbj nano cube would fit PERFECT in my stand as a refugium, I'd love to try one if I can find one used.

Would be sweet looking.

wonder how I'd get the water flowing through it....?

Getting a LITTLE green film algae on glass.

Phosphate remover seems to have some effect on brown wafer algae.

Only fed the tank twice since set it up, trying to shake off the cyano from the old tank.

Aptasia outbreak, aptasia X is only holding them back from full outbreak.

Goinopora is not looking good, the move has made it mad.

Feather dusters EVERYwhere, along with barnacles too. At least 5 big dusters I see now.

Phosphate remover does actually work!

I miss my fuge, want it back! But I want it to actually look nice this time!!!!!

danthenewreefman

JUST ordered the Koralia evolution 1400gph for $45.00...that is suck a steal!!!

+600

+240

+240

2480gph in circulation from power heads / 75g tank = 33.067 turn over rate, just counting powerheads!

Also ordered an output pipe for my canister too! Plan on running Phosphate and Carbon in it a couple of days per week.

Bought a peice of egg crate too, so I can open the top up!

Probably will be later than end of July for finishing the tanks hardware. I still need:

RO unit

6 new 36" T5 bulbs

a custom sized ~13g tank to serve as fuge

bunch of sand

Probably will buy the bulbs at the end of July and maybe I'll have enough $ to buy the rest before the end of August.

I am now considering buying a couple of the evil LED lights too.

danthenewreefman

I've got stomatella broadcast spawning like crazy!

Just noticed these guys a couple days ago, couple hours ago one was at the top of my LR spewing clouds, everything went crazy eating it!

Just saw a few clouds "poofing" out just a few seconds ago, so I must have more than one!

Hope they reproduce, this will def save me money on CUC if they are successful!

Cool!

danthenewreefman

pH 8.0

dkH 10

Nitrates 0

Ca+ 340

After dosing 5 spoons it went up to 380ppm

Is that too big of a change at one time, 40ppm in Ca+??? It says no more than 10grams at once, but references a 40g aquarium, so I assume 20gram would be the max for 80g...?

danthenewreefman

post-51644-1279559298_thumb.jpg

I have 7 polyps on 1 plug, 6 on the other. Cut July 17th, opened 18th. I'll call them "generic fruit loops".

we'll see how fast they spread to the surrounding plugs (photos later of this setup, you can see the frag rack).

I lost my fire shrimp, I topped off about 1gallon the other day and he swam right through the cloud of freshwater. He went to the opposite end of the end and started acting weird (half jumping up and down).

Haven't seen him sense, been a couple days I haven't seen him, thought he might just be hiding after shedding...but at this point I think he is a goner!

:-(

danthenewreefman

post-51644-1279667693_thumb.jpg

this started with 2 polyps, now I've got 13!!!

I wish I knew what these were called; they came from Mr. Coral, supposedly "fruit loops" but I don't think they are...the pictures not match to what I've seen.

green center, purple/blue body with orange skirts.

Whatever they are I like'um!

I wonder how long it'll take to grow onto all the surrounding plugs?!?

danthenewreefman

My shipment: Power head evo 1400 & canister output nozzle will be here tomorrow!!!

That thing is going to SPIT some water!!! I excited. But I am sick today, feel like strept throat.

Got some pellet carbon today and I've already cleaned it and got the canister ready to use!!!!

I excited.

danthenewreefman

And from my breif experience I HAVE to agree...DSB are tough to maintain and make things tougher to maintain especially for a beginner.

I'm still doing an ALL-in-ONE tank with on LR and flow, I have not seen a difference from when i DID use a fuge cheato 24/7 light. NOW i must admit, I used to feed heavily DAILY, now I only feed 2x per week and much less food.

Overall cyano is way WAY down and there is little green film algae growth.

The brown turf algae is still with me, I can't tell 100% but it does look like it has at least stopped growing.

Hopefully using the canister once in a while will help against the brown turf algae. ALSO when I change the bulbs in a couple weeks, that could help too.

we'll see, but I can deal with the brown turf stuff is that is all I have to concentrate on.

LITTLE bubble algae, but I've been manually removing ANY I SPOT.

danthenewreefman

Got the evolution 1400gph & canister surface agitation attachment today!!!

Now my flow is 33x w/o the canister and around 35x when using the canister.

WOW, BIG DIFFERENCE!

FTS

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6Bit6g1Ya-8/TEh0...00/100_3688.JPG

Some coral photos

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6Bit6g1Ya-8/TEh0...00/100_3677.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6Bit6g1Ya-8/TEh1...00/100_3679.JPG

SOrry I had to link the photos, but they're 2.5mb each!

Also added hardware and livestock listings to first thread of this post.

pH 8

dKH 10

Ca+ 380

nitrate 0

danthenewreefman

I am about to win the war with cyano, the carbon and phosphate remover are doing a number on it!

That with the increased flow has probably reduced the cyano in the sand by 75% already.

I'm love'in it!!!

Archived