Cultivated Reef

DIY 40 Breeder Stand

Drew220

I think many people here over engineer the stands, of course, better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure you've seen the tank stands made by the aquarium manufacturer's that use compressed particle wood in their stands and they're fine. I have one from a friend who gave me his 65G on a stand built like that from All Glass or whoever made the tank.

The 90G tank I have from Tenacore is made using plywood.

You may want to make it an inch wider and longer to give a lip around the tank itself.

+ 1 give yourself some room - and that stand will work just fine.

Deleted User 6

when you skin it i would make the skin an inch higher than the frame all around to cover up the black plastic frame of the tank. it'll make the tank look like it's sitting down in the stand too, which i think looks cool.

when you skin it i would make the skin an inch higher than the frame all around to cover up the black plastic frame of the tank. it'll make the tank look like it's sitting down in the stand too, which i think looks cool.

Already planned to do that :P .

I'm thinking about laying the center support on the bottom flat adding two 2X2's to the bottom and making a recessed floor lined with some sort of water tight material. This would give me some secondary protection in case of sump overflow.

thelowdowndime

im currently doing the same thing. mines a little more complicated, but our main load bearing structures are about the same, i just used 2x3s. the foot print of your stand should be 36.25 by 18.25. the tank will fit exactly on top that way.

im currently doing the same thing. mines a little more complicated, but our main load bearing structures are about the same, i just used 2x3s. the foot print of your stand should be 36.25 by 18.25. the tank will fit exactly on top that way.

Thanks for the tip I will adjust my numbers.

JeffBilly

The frame will be constructed of straight select grade lumber. I'm still not set on whether I'm using 2X4 or 2X3. Both would be plenty strong. I'm thinking of skinning it in maple or birch. Staining will be a dark expresso color to match the rest of the furniture.

redesigned the frame using 2X2 posts and 1x4. Going over the numbers I realized I did not use the dry dimensions of the lumber when designing the original stand. I like the redesign much better.

stand2.jpg

thelowdowndime

same here. i just finished framing my stand. i made a thread for it here in DIY if u want to check it out

Here's a picture of my 40 breeder stand that I made over the weekend.

Going to frame it tomorrow hopefully

Stand.jpg

Tank Length, Width, and 40" Tall

Purchased the wood for mine today. I made a revision to the design. Built using 1x4 and 2x2. Boards will be held together by 1 5/8" sheet-rock screws. skinned in 1/2" plywood.

Newstand.png

Here's a picture of my 40 breeder stand that I made over the weekend.

Going to frame it tomorrow hopefully

Stand.jpg

Tank Length, Width, and 40" Tall

nice design

Frame is finished. Tank fits, and is level.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Anyone have a a design for a canopy?

Started mine yesterday...no small task for 2 people who have been known to buy a new house when a light bulb needs replacing lol :lol: (JK)

There will be more pics added today as we get more work done. So far this is all we've done (added pics to thread link below)

stand01.jpg

stand02.jpg

circusordie16

question for you stand builders. what type of 2x4s are you using? im going to prime the inside and everything so i assume it doesnt matter too much but im curious if you get the treated wood or just stud 2x4s. also, are your stands made to fit the exact outer dimensions of your tank or do you make the stand slightly bigger? im thinking about making the stand frame about an inch bigger than the tank so that the tank bottom sits more in the center of the 2x4 than on the outer (and usually kinda rounded) edge.

Make it a 1/2 inch bigger to give yourself some room. I used just regular wood. Pressure treated wood is just to nasty for me to cut myself. I did buy the high grade lumber instead of stud quality.

Make sure to inspect every piece of wood before you buy it to make sure its straight and has no defects. Another tip is to let the guys at lowes or HD cut some of the lumber for you. You get two free cuts, saves you a little time.

Archived