new-b-reefers LED picotope (pic heavy!)

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

2012-10-24195429.jpg

most recent F.T.S.

tank specs

tank: jbj picotope

filtration/flow: AC50

heater: tetra preset heater (78 degrees)

lighting: aquastyle 6x3watt led kit (3x 3watt royal blue, 3x 3watt 10k)

stock

fiji blue devil damsel RIP

sally light foot crab

dwarf hermit crab

corals

various mushrooms

zoas

palys

trumpet/candy cane

xenia

taro tree

decided that i should probably make one long thread and continue my updates rather than making new threads each time :) forgive me, i know its poorly formatted. so this is my picotope reef journal so to speak :)

the start

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=238478&hl=

day 15

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=239746&hl=

day 20

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=240294&hl=

day 27

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=241074&hl=

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Glad to see you started this. The formatting is an ever growing process. I'm constantly going back to old entries and editing them for aesthetics. Adding a grey box here, a line though something there. Good luck. We'll be tuning in.

new-b-reefer

lol, thanks for the tuning in and the kind words. hard to get the hang of the formatting :) lol

i will keep pictures up as much as possible :) constant updates :)

as you can see, i added some new zoas. some nice colorful ones. a lucky find in my opinion especially for $5 frags. i was excited :D

here are more pics

new-b-reefer
Yes, yes I did. ;)

I will keep the updates and pictures coming :)

an update as promised ;)

day #36

made a few changes. as i thought about it more, i scrapped the idea of having the live rock rubble in the ac50 and decided to use all that extra live rock to build up the display :) since the ac50 filter was just live rock rubble and floss, i figured, well i will run the factory filter with floss, use all that rock to build up the display, i added my extra picotope light i had lying around so now rather than 9watts the little tank is running 18watts of power compact, and i added in my rio50 powerhead for flow. sweet! i am really pleased with the way the scape came out with the added rock. here are day 36 pictures :)

new-b-reefer

day 42 picture update :)

-added a flow control nozzle to the rio50 power head. the flow was really strong in the tank and since i have slowed it down a bit, the corals seem to be opening up a bit more :)

-also added a green clown goby but he never comes out into view really. starting to think i should have got a yellow tail damsle or something a little less reclusive. but i will give him a few more days. we will see how he does :)

-also went to the tidepools this weekend and brought a couple real small snails and added them to the pico to cruize around and eat algae. got 4 little snails (not sure of exact type) and 1 little limpet. they are all the size of pencil erasers pretty much. little guys :) i will say that they are one of the only inhabitants ive had that use the entire tank, that includes the parts that are not submerged ;) (the pics of them are the last 2 pics)

enjoy the pics

last pic on the right is a nerite, nice find. though all those that hand above the surface are tidal and will crawl out of your tank eventually, just watch for them :)

new-b-reefer
last pic on the right is a nerite, nice find. though all those that hand above the surface are tidal and will crawl out of your tank eventually, just watch for them :)

Hello. I may have misunderstood or maybe the order of the pics got messed up. The very last picture, the one with the little guy right at the water line, that one is the limpet. Pretty flat shell. So I'm guessing you mean the other pic with the snail above the water line is the nerite. Way cool. Now I know what they are lol. I put 4 of them in there. Hopping they might breed and I can spread them to my other tanks. We will see. They seem to love dangling from the lid. They make there way up the walls and even where the top doesn't cover, they go all the way up and once they get to the open air where there is no lid covering, they turn around and go back down a bit. I have 3 that like to chill upside down on the lid and one that hangs out in the outflow of the filter. Entertaining little guys :) thanks for the id :) and judging by how many I saw at the tidepools, I would say they can breed pretty easily. :) could use some in my nc28reef

whoops lol thats a limpet? its body and mouth looked like nerite sorry. the other one idk what that is =/

new-b-reefer
whoops lol thats a limpet? its body and mouth looked like nerite sorry. the other one idk what that is =/

lol, no worries. yes that one is a limpet. the other ones that are above the water line in the pics though, the mouth and body look pretty much identical so you may be correct still... kinda :) imma try to find some info on them. i will let you know what info i come up with on them. i think you may be onto something with the nerite though.

new-b-reefer
lol, no worries. yes that one is a limpet. the other ones that are above the water line in the pics though, the mouth and body look pretty much identical so you may be correct still... kinda :) imma try to find some info on them. i will let you know what info i come up with on them. i think you may be onto something with the nerite though.

lol, ok so i foound some info on them here.

http://www.reefnews.com/reefnews/photos/sd/sd_snail.html

they are called Periwinkles. i knew someone had identified them for me a long time ago at an aquarium or something and i couldnt remember the name. these are them, i saw the name and the little lightbulb flickered :) lol

new-b-reefer

so my reclusive green clown goby is starting to get a little more comfortable. he is verturing out to the front of the tank at night and im hoping to start seeing him a little more during the day too. i managed to snap 2 pics of him last night. one with the night leds and one pic where i shined a flash light on him to see in the pic :)

• 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer

picotope update, day 55. things are going well. mushrooms are starting to spread, my dark purple ones on the right side spread recently and the big green one has spread a few times :)

also my green clown goby is finally getting used to me, he comes out and chills right in the front of the tank now and doesnt swim away when i go in for a closer look :)

enjoy the pics, feed back is welcome :)

new-b-reefer

day-59

-I diy'd a surface skimmer for the picotope filter with 1/2" pvc. the tube dips down to the bottom under the power head and back up to the surface. i had some of that nasty film starting to acumulate... this cleared all that up really quick :) works great. cant wait till the white pvc starts covering in the coraline algae ;)

-the tank has been completely rescaped. the reef is stacked up against the left and rear walls. my bed sits on the right side so now i can get a good view from the front and the right side :) this also allowed a big cave area in the back for the inhabitants to hide if they choose

-back to only one picotope light. having 2 on there was quite annoying, looked kinda ghetto and didnt really make a difference with the corals so i took that extra picotope light off. the single factory one works great atleast for the corals i have in there :)

here are some pictures of the tank after the diy surface skimmer and the rescaping. pardon the corals, they are all pissed off from being moved around.

more pictures to come once the corals all start adjusting to their new positions :)

feedback welcome as always

new-b-reefer

day 60 update pictures

the corals are adjusting to there new positions after the re-scape. my diy surface skimmer works like a charm :) the surface film is gone completely :)

here are pics

feedback welcome as always

I like your tank a lot! The island scape worked out really well for you! :) I think your frogspawn might be a wee bit unhappy in all that flow though

new-b-reefer
I like your tank a lot! The island scape worked out really well for you! :) I think your frogspawn might be a wee bit unhappy in all that flow though

thanks, the hammer is doing quite well actually, where it is at it actually doesnt get a ton of flow, the outlet from the power head sticks out past the head and the return from the filter is coming out a little to the right of the hammer. i also have the flow turned down on the power head. i am open to suggestions though. any ideas on where to move it?

and out of curiosity when you say island scape are refering to the current scape or the previous one? just curious cause i wasnt sure if this one was considered an island scape :)

Oh, it just looked a bit deflated thats all. As long as theres not a killer amount of direct flow you should be okay.

I'm talking about the scape you have now, the feel flows from the left to the right because your big rock breaks down into smaller rocks an then into sand. its nice :)

new-b-reefer
Oh, it just looked a bit deflated thats all. As long as theres not a killer amount of direct flow you should be okay.

I'm talking about the scape you have now, the feel flows from the left to the right because your big rock breaks down into smaller rocks an then into sand. its nice :)

oh ok, gocha, thanks ;) yeah the hammer is still adjusting to the rescape, i will keep an eye on it and if it starts looking like its having trouble then i will move it. it was looking real good this morning with the lights off even, so we will see how it is when i get home and the lights are on :)

and thanks for the compliments on the scape :D it came out better than i thought it would. helped having all the little rubble pieces in there.

Archived