ReefCleaners.org

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

THIS TANK HAS FINALLY BEEN TAKEN DOWN :(

The Tank

• 10 Gallon AGA Aquarium

• 69 gph Rio 50 Pump
  • 425 gph Koralia Nano
  • AC 110 Fuge Mod (Chemi-pure, Floss. Chaeto/Macros)
  • 70W Fishneedit MH (20,000K bulb)

• 2x24W Coralife T5 HO Fixture(1 ATI Blue+ and 1 UVL Indigo Sun bulb)
  • 1x18W Coralife PC Fixture(Fuge light)
  • Iceprobe Chiller

Inverts

• Cerith Snails
  • 2x Astrea Snail
  • Atlantic Bay Scallop
  • Red Bearded Sponge

• Peppermint Shrimp
  • Porcelain Crab

• Maxima Clam

• Featherduster Worm

Fish

• 2x Ocellaris Clownfish

Coral Inverts

• Rhodactis Mushrooms
  • Zoas
  • Palythoas
  • Acan coral
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice
  • 3 types of Montipora caps
  • 3 types of Birdsnest corals
  • Various mushrooms
  • Ricordea florida
  • Green-tipped Torch coral
  • Green Hammer coral
  • Pom-Pom Xenia
  • 2 types of GSP

FTS:

DSCN3254.jpg

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there was a sweet conure at my buddys work we always used to play with. it was there forever cause they were asking like $500 for it. then it sold. now i am sad.... nice start on the tank though.

CanadianNano

awesome, check out my thread, started my 10g about 2 weeks ago, maybe we can help eachother out with ideas.

what light are you using?

what are you gonna use for a powerhead?

what kinda corals/inverts/fish you want to keep?

@badfish: was it a sun conure? We have a sun living in that cage in that picture above :)

@CanadianNano: Yes, I will deffo check it out!

Light: 48W Coralife T5 HO fixture. Right now i have stock bulbs. will be getting an ATI Blue+ bulb and a UVL Indigo Sun bulb for this sucker.

Powerhead: I have two random ones laying around, I might as well use them for now cuz i dont want to buy anything new yet...a Rio50 that used to be in that pico, and an AC10 powerhead :)

Corals: mushroom,zoas,palys,LPS,soft corals.

Inverts: Astrea Snail, Dwarf Ceriths, sexy shrimp...

Fish: 1 Ocellaris clown, 1 Cherub angel, maybe 1 green clown goby...

@jbb: thanks! I joined :)

not sure what is was. it was green and red. smart as hell too. if you bobbed your head at it it would dance with you. lol

lol thats cool :)

I put sand in this tank...not much else happening lol. still waiting for my base rock to start scaping.

aww but the pygmy angel was the main attraction to this tank haha :lol:

Is there a reason I should avoid it? Paris holds one in a 5.5 gal and the fish does fine?

rock has not arrived yet because of the holiday weekend i suppose. Havent done a thing with this tank yet :(

haha, the thread was buried on the 4th or 5 th page xD

I did get some supplies for this tank including more reef crystal salt, I've made a few gallons of RO/DI water too, installed my ATO air pump design thing that I made...I'll have to upgrade the reservoir from the current 1 gal to around a 5 gal tho cuz im soon leaving on vacation for a month and 5 gals should last me.

Dang rock needs to hurry up and get here so that i can decide if 13 lbs is enough to make a decent scape or if i need to go to my LFS and resort to their rock afterall..

CanadianNano

leaving tanks is exciting, get to see alot of growth when you get back, as long as somebody is looking after it for you

I thought I would never be saying this, but if you are planning on zoas and SPS skip the pygmy angel...eventually they will nip certain corals of their liking.

I had my Pygmy for a little over 8 months jn my 29g and one day Day Trippers, green slimer and other zoas were picked on to the point that they were going to die...so I threw him in my 125g and he has plenty of room to swim and keep busy.

I will not likely keep any SPS, but they pick on zoas? maybe if I keep it well fed...thats usually the solution to animals picking on corals lol. worked with my emerald crab and i never seen my pep shrimp do anything bad either.

And yes ill be leaving all my tanks for a month in august. the ATOs should keep salinity stable and theres one of my parents in the house to feed the fish in the 10 gal and inverts in my 3 gal.

it has begun:

goldifhs236.jpg

about 13lbs or rock in here now, white stuff is florida little brown guy is old figi base rock...I need more rock! lol

I will not likely keep any SPS, but they pick on zoas? maybe if I keep it well fed...thats usually the solution to animals picking on corals lol. worked with my emerald crab and i never seen my pep shrimp do anything bad either.

My fishies eat like pigs haha believe me angels just like to swim and pick...it's in their nature :happy:

CanadianNano

youre definiteley going the opposite of my tank if youre putting more rock, im going for that minimalist approach, just glad to see you finally got it running! :D stoked for sure

yes, I want a LOT of rock in this tank. I'm going minimal with the sand and max with rock. With two fish planned and a few inverts i want enough rock to filter all that waste, + I want the tank to look fuller :)

I think 10 more pounds of base rock should do it. then some rock from my 3 gal reef will go in to seed this rock.

Archived