• Skimmer: Tunze 9004
  • Circulation: Vortech MP10, Tunze 6015
  • Heating: Rena Smartheater
  • Controller: RKL W/ SL2

PREVIOUS LIFE
668c25e4.jpg

post-32904-1277782028_thumb.jpg

• Display: 30g Breeder, Custom Stand
  • Lighting: Current Sundail 150w MH 14K Phoenix/ 2x32w artinics with built-in timer
  • Filtration: DIY 20L sump w/ refugium, DIY PVC Overflow, Mag5 Return Pump
  • Reactors: 2 TLF Reactors w/ Mini Jet 606 (TLF HydroCarbon, D-D ROWAphos)
  • ATO: DIY ATO w/ aqualifter
  • Skimmer: SWC120
  • Circulation: Vortech MP10, 1/2 Seaswirl
  • Cooling: Azoo Twin Cooling Fan on Sump
  • Heating: 300w inline heater
  • Cabinet Ventilation: RedSea Max Cabinet Ventilation Kit.
  • Controller: RKL W/ SL2

I been wanting to upgrade for awhile now. Took my time, tried to get the right equipment.So i had to first decide what tank to set up. it was between a 25g cube or a breeder (30 or 40). I picked the 30g Breeder as you can see. Could not found the right stand so i built one myself. I still need to add a door to cover the refuge.

Cant wait to add the sand and water tommorrow.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stand looks nice!

Thank you

not bad for the first stand i ever built. It wasn't that difficult to build. if you need a stand try to build your own, its more affordable. I spent $50 to build the stand (wood,2 spray cans and screws) but i did cost me some time :)

Are you going to cut the brace out? I to like the stand, however the avatar is a little disturbing.

lol, I chose the avatar for that reason.

Do you mean the center brace on the tank? I was thinking about it. Let see how it looks with the light first.

As for the scape, I want everything spaced out. I dont what is to look crowded like my 14 biocube.

FishyFishy!

Lookin good! I love the overhanging canopy style. Can't wait to see it in action!

So everything is planning to hang off the left side to conceal it? (just taking a guess due to the extra space)

That stand looks cool...

But not very stable.

Interesting, not stable. What you mean by that?

Im not a professional in any way, so any help is appreciated.

This is what the final inner structure looks like.

post-32904-1277825258_thumb.jpg

Bingo, everything with hang on the left side. I also will add a little door to conceal it.

After i hang the light last night i can see that the canopy was not leveled, so i added a piece of plexiglass from the front right corner of the stand to the Front right corner of the canopy. look good.

Will add pics tonight

FishyFishy!

I think that he was reffering to the canopy not being stable. I can see that it will be under a lot of stress with just the plywood holding it up. The rest looks fine. And I see you are using some pretty dense plywood as well, which will aid in structural strength.

Can't wait to see what it looks like together! I'm planning on making a stand like this for my 50 Gallon Breeder Reef tank

I think that he was reffering to the canopy not being stable. I can see that it will be under a lot of stress with just the plywood holding it up. The rest looks fine. And I see you are using some pretty dense plywood as well, which will aid in structural strength.

Can't wait to see what it looks like together! I'm planning on making a stand like this for my 50 Gallon Breeder Reef tank

I agree, I would of did the canopy different if i was to do it over. But with the added support with the plexiglass it's good enuff.

50g Breeder NICE! I wish i had the space.

pismo_reefer

In the first "skinless" pic,

it doesn't appear to have the outer support legs that are in the drawing.

Were they added after the first pic was taken?

If they aren't there, then they need to be.

I'd also support the canopy on the 'floating' side...

It'll prolly hold as is,

but I'd hate for someone to lean or fall onto it, and have yer MH hit the water... :scarry:

post-32904-1277851139_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1277851372_thumb.jpg

I added the outer support legs that are shown in the drawing.

I also added support to the canopy. I did not want too but it was needed. Cut the door and hinge. Need to paint it. Thinking of a way to use the door when it's down as a little table.

Added water and sand. Put a HOB filter to have something running for now. The extra sand and live rock that i need will come from my biocube. but i might need one more bag.

opinions, is having the light 7" from the water to high?

The tank is only 12" tall

And The center brace is creating shadow, dont know if i should cut it. Im actually thinking about drilling a

1/2" hole in the middle of it. maybe that helps

FishyFishy!

I wouldn't worry about the center brace... loose it!

I actually like the plexi support on the right. Dosn't look bad at all! Just make sure you keep it clean otherwise it'll turn into a salt creeped mess.

And 7" should be just fine, it looks like you have a decent light, so as long as the light isn't being wasted all over the floor you should be good.

I wouldn't worry about the center brace... loose it!

I actually like the plexi support on the right. Dosn't look bad at all! Just make sure you keep it clean otherwise it'll turn into a salt creeped mess.

And 7" should be just fine, it looks like you have a decent light, so as long as the light isn't being wasted all over the floor you should be good.

Just removed the center brace. I cut it with a Saw and a vacuum to pick the saw dust. it was a breeze. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

post-32904-1279076536_thumb.jpg

post-32904-1279076567_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1279076541_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1279076577_thumb.jpg

Yesterday i tested the water and I made the move for 14BC to the 30Breeder. I dipped everything before i put it in the tank. I had issue with nubi branches. Im taking no chances.

Anyone have any suggestion on scape?

Need to pick up a few more LR.

I also added a AquaUV 8w Hang On. So the water will flow through the chiller, pass the Hydro inline heater and return through the UV.

It's not hooked up because i broke the external pump when i was connecting. :(

I Bought a little fan that i found at Target for $7. For extra cooling. Works pretty good.

I will catalog my coral when i get a chance. I would like to now what i have.

post-32904-1279476057_thumb.jpg

Added a Red Sea Max Cabinet Ventilation Kit to the stand. Needed Extra ventilation, so when i added the Chiller.

twelve volt pro

I really like the aqua scape, I would just be worried about the rock that close to the glass, will make it an SOB to clean

I really like the aqua scape, I would just be worried about the rock that close to the glass, will make it an SOB to clean

I was thinking the same thing, i just haven't made the change yet. I need to do a water change today, so i will make the adjustment.

will post photos later. :)

Here are updated pic of the scape.

post-32904-1279588568_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1279588668_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1279588647_thumb.jpg

The only thing that sucks is that not all my star polyps opened up. I adjusted the MP10, I think it was a like to high.

I picked up a Biocolor Blenny on Saturday, He's Gone. I was hoping to find him when i adjusted the scape yesterday.

I wanted to add a fish, So i picked up a small maroon clown.

he's active but did not eating.

My Fluval 305 coming in tomorrow, cant wait.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates

Added Fluval 305, Hooked up the 8w AquaUV to it.

I tried to run the chiller with just the fluval but it not strong enough.

Also will not use the Hydor ETH In-Line External Heat.

I would like to get one of those Fluval VueTech Advanced Aquarium Heater.

Also added DIY ATO ( Aqua Lifter pump w/ timer, 2.5 Gallon reserve)

I ran the water line through the hole for the center set screw on the CPR. Worked out good.

post-32904-1280806534_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1280806477_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Updated pic

post-32904-1281575128_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1281575122_thumb.jpg

post-32904-1281577271_thumb.jpg

Im not seeing any growth :(

I little bit of a red algae breakout but nothing major

I do a 20% water change once a week.

I checked the water:

Specific gravity 1.025-1.026, PH Good, Nitrate Good, Calcium not good, at 300. Started two part dose.

I have not installed the chiller (need a pump).The temp of the water raises once the MH by 4 degrees (84).

So i raised the light 1.5" to see if that helps.

I had the light timer set for 11 hours, reduced it to 10.

Actinic on at 12PM, MH on at 1pm

Actinic off at 10PM, MH off at 9pm

I installed a surface skimmer to the fluval.

post-32904-1281575138_thumb.jpg

From left to right:

8w AquaUV (Also outlet of fluval), Outlet of refugium, Heater, DIY ATO, Surface Skimmer (Inlet to Fluval),

refugium pump.

R.I.P Maroon Clown fish.

post-32904-1281577076_thumb.jpg

I found him on the floor when i came home from work. Need to install a screen so the fish stop jumping out. I never found the Bi-color Blenny. Bought i yellow tail damsel just to have a fish swimming around until i build top screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I found ten nubi branch last week. I been on the hunt, checking the tank daily. Havent found any more.

im hoping that i wont need to dip everything again.

Since finding them, everything opening up nicely. update pics......

post-32904-1283019094_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1283019123_thumb.jpg

I was watching a bid on ebay for 7 days

(wait for the bidding to end and hope you win. then wait for it to be shipped, i hate ebay sometimes.....)

it was for a Tunze 9002 Skimmer.

Guess who won? :)

I got for $96 shipped. Can not wait to get it. I will be dream of micro bubbles tonight.

i wasn't happy with the scape. This was the best i could do after messing with it for at least an hour.

I had to stop, my hand couldnt take it any more. :(

I made a little tunnel in the middle for my bandit shrimp.

Let me know what you think?

post-32904-1283218538_thumb.jpgpost-32904-1283218561_thumb.jpg

post-32904-1283218579_thumb.jpg

The pic of the right side of the tank, has an red arrow pointing at the only set of zoo that wont open.

outer brown and green center zoo that are on the same piece of live rock is doing fine.

post-32904-1283218599_thumb.jpg

Archived