Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mirage's 40 Gallon breeder (New Pics 3/31/14)

MGDMIRAGE

40 Gallon Breeder Display
40 Gallon Long Sump/Refuge
1 WP-40 Pump (circulation)

1 MP40 Vortech wireless.
Reef Ocotopus 250 Needle Wheel Skimmer
36" Nova Extreme 6 bulb T5HO 32" Reefbreeders full spectrum LED fixture.
Ebo Jager 250w heater
BRS Reactor running Ecobak by Warner Marine (for over 3 years now)

Korallin C1502 calcium reactor with 10lb co2 tank.
QuietOne 4000 Return Pump
60lbs Sugar sized sand(removing with water changes)

Livestock plans

Coral:
SPS and LPS minimal to no softies

Fish:
2 Black and White Ocellaris.

1 Golden Dwarf Moray Eel. Now lives in a 150 gallon tank.
1 Pygmy Cherub Angelfish
1 Vermiculated Wrasse Female MIA
1 Hector's Goby Died perhaps of age
1 Yellow Tang, trying to sell. Need to catch, has a home ready in a 200 gallon cube.
1 (Temporarily) Sailfin Tang juvenile Sold and now lives in a 120 gallon elos system.
1 Target Mandarin (Male) Jumped during night :(

1 Dragonface Pipefish Vanished without a trace.

1 Orchid Dottyback

1 Copperband Butterflyfish. Lives in the sump.
more to come...

FTS 3/29/2014

FTS3-29-14_zps7e86d63b.jpg

FTS 6/14/2013"</IMG>

004-4_zps7500b210.jpg

FTS 3/31/2013

IMG_99841280x488_zps5b71ff00.jpg

FTS 1/20/2013

IMG_92831280x573_zps6c7e911e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i chickened out on setting up the 90 gallon in my upstairs apartment lol(after much floor strength research). So i'm not working on a 40 gallon breeder instead, i already have it drilled and i'll be tinting the back today and hopefully finishing up the plumbing. It will have a 40 gallon long sump split into 3 sections: refuge, return, skimmer. Lighting will be 250W 20K DE MH with 2 36" 39w T5HO giessman pure actinic bulbs(Tek II reflectors). Skimmer will still be the octopus 250 needle wheel. I also plan on adding my phosban reactor running ecobak pellets by warner marine :D

Pics soon.

Woot did my first ever pvc solvent welding, anyone else think this is really fun? Maybe it was just the fantastic fumes but i enjoyed it lol.

Well i found something to put on my list of things to never do again: tint tank alone. I'll go back to my trusty Krylon from now on this tinting thing totally sucked!

Going to run the display sump-less for a few days until the sump silicone is fully cured, and i plan on doing the water test Friday evening. I tossed in a bunch of my rock in the display so i still have to do some scaping but the water is still a bit cloudy from the sand so I'm waiting a bit. Also check out my cool makeshift PVC MH holder lol, it's temporary until i can build a canopy and add my retro T5s along side it. I used gobs of silicone on the sump since I'm using acrylic baffles and silicone really doesn't like acrylic too much.

Anyway here are the latest progress pics:

003-1.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Thought i'd keep talking to myself by adding yet another post with pictures.

Here is my latest progress, scaping 90% done. I had broken my archway during the move and i repaired it today with some water weld putty.

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

And here is my 20L still sitting full of fish and frags, almost none of these frags or rocks will be going into the 40Br though they will be going into a new project once 40 is running well. Actinic shot:

008.jpg

Thanks you two, it cleared up a lot lastnight. Going to be leak testing the sump today or tomorrow so hopefully i'll have that up and running soon so i can ditch the heater in the display.

007.jpg

My Acropora Valida about 10 mins after lights on.

014.jpg

Nice looking setup man! I am pretty much in the middle of building the same setup, although I am using a 40br as a sump. I was also looking at doing a PVC coast-to-coast but I was worried it might be a little bit too difficult to get dialed in just right. I've decided to go with a Bean style overflow instead.

Yeah i had this setup on my other 40 hex and my only real complaint was the noise but this time i have a durso setup behind the bulkhead and that seemed to help a ton. I even ran the return pump full blast with one side turned off and it handled it fine so i may just leave return on full on this one. My 40 hex couldn't handle full throttle on only one bulkhead yet it was same size bulkhead I'm thinking the durso setup helped a lot since it's not having to gulp air at the same time it's taking water in.

I'll be running the drains at 25% fuge side and 75% skimmer side.

I love your rockwork. That arch is sweet It's going to look awesome when that coral grows :D. I started a 40B build myself last week but I'm still looking at an empty tank...thanks for sharing yours - gives me hope lol.

I love your rockwork. That arch is sweet It's going to look awesome when that coral grows :D. I started a 40B build myself last week but I'm still looking at an empty tank...thanks for sharing yours - gives me hope lol.

Thanks, i've loved that arch for a long time this is the third tank i've put it in lol. I was pretty bummed when i broke it during the move to the new apartment but i got it fixed, not 100% what it was but still looks decent.

What size bulkheads are you using?

1" bulkheads. I believe 1" are rated for something like 600gph and i believe with the durso setup i have now that they may actually be able to handle that much each.

you arew doing a wonderful job.

nice size refugium/sump

tagging along for sure

Thanks for the comments :) yeah i can't wait until i get the sump online.

That Valida is awesome!!

Thanks AM it has so many different colors, i see purple and green and white on the tips.

Clowns moved over and Starry Blenny is acclimating, next up, Golden Dwarf Moray :D Sixline will be in the fuge section of the sump until i can deliver him/her to a friend that lives near me, hes just too much of a cocky jerk, but very beautiful. His new home is going to be a 200 gallon marineland deep dimension, he'll be a small fry in there so he should behave.

Sump leak test completed successfully! Tomorrow more updates and pictures, plumbing will be finished and hopefully full system will be up and running. Sump is filled with 1.025 SG water and skimmer is in place.

animalmaster6

Good to know about the Six Line. I'm going to try a Royal Gramma in my 125g. I'm just hoping it won't be too aggressive. Usually in bigger tanks they calm down.

The 90 would've been awesome but I'm liking this so far. Are you going all SPS?

Yeah i hated putting the 90 in the garage but i didn't want to crash through my floor i wasn't gutsy enough lol.

Yes this will mainly be SPS with LPS covering the sand bed i really like Acans and i hope to accumulate a bunch in a few months :)

I was actually going to just set it up but i decided to ask the apartment manager and she said it wasn't that great of an idea, it was up to me since i have renters insurance but in the end i didn't want to take the chance.

Good to know about the Six Line. I'm going to try a Royal Gramma in my 125g. I'm just hoping it won't be too aggressive. Usually in bigger tanks they calm down.

Yeah i've always wanted a Royal Gramma i may try one too as a last fish. My plan now though for fish is to train a mandarin to eat frozen and then pellets, always wanted one, must have one!

ORA is so expensive plus i kinda like the challenge + most of the mandarins are doomed in the pet stores so i don't mind saving one.

Archived