Cultivated Reef

The Mini Carpet Clubhouse

sweet<3

The mini monsters are my newest obsession and they finally have their own tank. It is still in the early stages and far from being finished. Im always looking to expand my collection!

• Equipment:
  • 10 gallon cube
  • 150w halide + actinic supplement (14k phoenix bulb)
  • Rio 90
  • Plumbed into my main twenty long

• LIvestock:
  • Maxi Minis
  • Mini Minis
  • One lone sexy shrimp

First FTS:

5-29-10

FTS.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
firefishbrain

very cool! you and I are actually doing a similar project! except mine is not plumbed to another system (as much as I would want it to!) I shall be following this. Hoping to add livestock to mine soon! =D

Quick question, even though Maxi's get considerably larger than the "mini mini's", they are still the same species, correct? just something that I've been wondering lately...

very cool! you and I are actually doing a similar project! except mine is not plumbed to another system (as much as I would want it to!) I shall be following this. Hoping to add livestock to mine soon! =D

Quick question, even though Maxi's get considerably larger than the "mini mini's", they are still the same species, correct? just something that I've been wondering lately...

As I understand it they are currently the same species although they are considerably different. I would love to see how yours comes out! Send me a link or some pics when you get it going!!

Closeupofrockwork.jpg

babies.jpg

miniandsexy.jpg

orangeandgreen2.jpg

Pinkandgreen.jpg

Pinkandgreen10focus.jpg

Pinkandgreen9.jpg

purpleandgreen2focus.jpg

Here's the first two I just got a few days ago.. The purple one eats like a pig, however the other decided he wanted to migrate towards the sand bed and won't eat a thing. He's fully open and firmly attached to the rock, but shows no feeding response. A bit worried about him..

DSC00192.jpg

Very nice!

(I recognize that cup!)

Shh haha I know its ghetto :lol:

Here's the first two I just got a few days ago.. The purple one eats like a pig, however the other decided he wanted to migrate towards the sand bed and won't eat a thing. He's fully open and firmly attached to the rock, but shows no feeding response. A bit worried about him..

DSC00192.jpg

Those are amazing especially the purple one. When I first get some of mine, they don't eat right off the bat. Sometimes they just need some time to settle in. Hopefully it starts chowing down!

Really awesome. How big do Mini minis get??? Would a clown host them???

Mini minis get about the size of a quarter. As far as I have heard clowns do not host the mini or maxi mini carpets. There have even been some instances of minis/maxis eating clowns :o

firefishbrain

As I understand it they are currently the same species although they are considerably different. I would love to see how yours comes out! Send me a link or some pics when you get it going!!

Good to know, Cool. And I will post a link for ya!

Yours look simply magnificent!!

Hey guys! Please help with an ID!?

This has been called everything from a yuma to jo-average mushroom to a "unusual coralimorph"

Anyone got input on it??? Is even a ricordea? Or just an unusual mushroom? Is it rare? or nothing special.

Is it a mini carpet nennie???

Thanks guys

D

PS: Your tank looks awesome, those are some AWESOME minis.... So jealous - we dont get stuff like that in SA! :-(

PPS: Sorry for the thread hijack :-P

post-51776-1275265478_thumb.png

post-51776-1275265489_thumb.jpg

This has been called everything from a yuma to jo-average mushroom to a "unusual coralimorph"

Anyone got input on it??? Is even a ricordea? Or just an unusual mushroom? Is it rare? or nothing special.

Thanks guys

D

PS: Your tank looks awesome, those are some AWESOME minis.... So jealous - we dont get stuff like that in SA! :-(

Deff a ric. As far as if it's a florida or yuma idk.

Very nice. My collection is waiting on their tank to get set up. I just have to move an old tv out of the way, which is being held up by having a broken thumb. :(

Very nice. Do you get them at an LFS? If you do, do me a favor and ask which wholesaler they purchase from! :)

lol.

Good to know, Cool. And I will post a link for ya!

Yours look simply magnificent!!

Thanks so much!! Can't wait to see yours!

Thanks guys

D

Yea it looks like a ric to me.

Very nice. My collection is waiting on their tank to get set up. I just have to move an old tv out of the way, which is being held up by having a broken thumb. :(

That's rough. Well good luck with it and when you get it going be sure to send me a link or some pics I would love to see it!!

Very nice. Do you get them at an LFS? If you do, do me a favor and ask which wholesaler they purchase from! :)

Hahaha I wish! These things are elusive and when an LFS does happen to have one in stock they are super hush hush about where it came from. You will probably have more luck hunting down people on forums that are willing to sell or trade. If you do find a wholesaler who carries them be sure to share it with me!! Haha

really cool tank idea! what brand is/where did the 10 gallon cube come from? j/w :P

The brand is Visio and it came from a LFS in San Diego. They are pretty standard but I love it!

i want

I want more!!!!

Paul E. Wog

Nice love em. Your orange looks exactly like the one i got a few weeks back. Your lucky to have such a nice orange. They are not easy to come by. I have seen more solid blues then solid oranges.

Keep collecting I might see something I just have to have and maybe we can work out a trade for cuttings sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome tank!!!!

Thank you! Hopefully I can keep building and making it better!

Nice love em. Your orange looks exactly like the one i got a few weeks back. Your lucky to have such a nice orange. They are not easy to come by. I have seen more solid blues then solid oranges.

Keep collecting I might see something I just have to have and maybe we can work out a trade for cuttings sometime.

I just have to master cutting these things now!!!

I love your mini carpet anemones... I can't find them in Toronto, anywhere :(

I hear ya. These things are pretty hard to find anywhere. People like to hoard these things!! I got most of mine from the classifieds here. Just keep an eye open!

Paul E. Wog
I just have to master cutting these things now!!!

It's super easy. IME they dont relax too much and its hard to get them to spread out really nice. Just find the best straight across line you can. cut with a new razor from the mouth down and out on one side then do the exact same thing on the other side. They can squirt so watch ur eyes.

NaClCrocodile

I'll be growing some out shortly. Do you all keep them in containers when separating them for east removal? I've heard that their foot can be damaged if you try and pull them off their rock - should I just pull gently?

Paul E. Wog
I'll be growing some out shortly. Do you all keep them in containers when separating them for east removal? I've heard that their foot can be damaged if you try and pull them off their rock - should I just pull gently?

Check the link in my sig for my tank build on page 1 in the first post. I use a plastic office organizer and some plastic clips from wal-mart zip-tied to the organizer and clipped to the rim of my tank. They are vented just enough to keep the frags in and allow good flow through the the basket. They also dont take a lot of space and come in a variety of sizes. Mine is like 2"x6"

Archived