Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Quattro

drufornano

drufornano

Props to dstruong for giving detailed info and photos on the attempt to improving Fluval Edge stock lighting setup. I took it bit further and added more LED strips and nocturnal lights. We shall see if this sustains some corals over the long term! Cycling on the agenda this weekend.

post-53013-1274769789_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1274769852_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1274769906_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1274770017_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a lot of lights~!!! i see you made use of that power adapter. maybe i will order more... lol

thats a lot of lights~!!! i see you made use of that power adapter. maybe i will order more... lol

also i wonder if i could stick another 50/50 on the back side of the fixture.

Props to dstruong for giving detailed info and photos on the attempt to improving Fluval Edge stock lighting setup. I took it bit further and added more LED strips and nocturnal lights. We shall see if this sustains some corals over the long term! Cycling on the agenda this weekend.

BTW, thanks for the shout out..

:D

drufornano

also i wonder if i could stick another 50/50 on the back side of the fixture.

BTW, thanks for the shout out..

:D

yep--im determined to sunburn the corals : ). btw, I used a 1/2in square piece of "nail-polished" wood to support the 3 LED strips on either side. I'll post a pic tnight. if you figure out a better solution, let me know.

Looks great!, I'm also trying to find ways to improve my fluval edge lighting. Right now i'm using two 10w 50/50 coralifes with reflectors in the hood. the swing arm was cut away to make room.

I"m not overly happy with the amount of light they provide.

I'll be following along here to see how this method is turning out.

Great DIY job! and keep up the good work!

Also, the strip lights that you used don't give a lumen output, however the MR11's do. Could you give a approximation as to the strip light output relative to the MR11's? thanks!

drufornano

well i officially suck, i can't even take care of my daughter's tank. fresh water annoys me, random guppy died in a lil house scape and finally floated up the other day. Now Im left with Ich infestation. That dang Jurupari was our favorite : (

We shall give him a proper Toilet Salute.

post-53013-1274907149_thumb.jpg

drufornano
Looks great!, I'm also trying to find ways to improve my fluval edge lighting. Right now i'm using two 10w 50/50 coralifes with reflectors in the hood. the swing arm was cut away to make room.

I"m not overly happy with the amount of light they provide.

I'll be following along here to see how this method is turning out.

Great DIY job! and keep up the good work!

Also, the strip lights that you used don't give a lumen output, however the MR11's do. Could you give a approximation as to the strip light output relative to the MR11's? thanks!

Hi Dustin11. I was wondering the same thing before i purchased the LED's. I guess i can get one of those light meters...but, they're dang bright. I guess one could ask the ebay seller?

your qualification of the LED strips brightness as "dang" is good enough for me :)

I'll order some and see if this holds true. Thanks!

What are you planning to keep in here, corals?, inverts?, fish?, rocks?

drufornano
your qualification of the LED strips brightness as "dang" is good enough for me :)

I'll order some and see if this holds true. Thanks!

What are you planning to keep in here, corals?, inverts?, fish?, rocks?

"Dang" always work for me too. I'm reading alot in other folks blogs, tryng to avoid mistakes, been outta of the scene for well over 5yrs. Contemplating a invert garden and some tree looking setup. I'm just worried about the amount of light these will generate....guess we shall see. Good luck w/ your setup btw. here are my inspirations:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...4609&st=200

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=21

it would be interesting to see how much PAR just got packed into the little light fixture. There is vitually no light it seems on the sides so maybe a good place for some macro and cryptic corals.

drufornano

post-53013-1275001217_thumb.jpg

So...Here's the rough idea. Live rock on the left side (cliff/mini plateau). And the "Tree-of-Life" theme to the right -- JJJO setup is the inspiration for that (pictured).

post-53013-1275001217_thumb.jpg

So...Here's the rough idea. Live rock on the left side (cliff/mini plateau). And the "Tree-of-Life" theme to the right -- JJJO setup is the inspiration for that (pictured).

nice!

drufornano

close up of MR11's with coat of gloss nail polish-one approach to stem off the corrosive effects of the salt.

post-53013-1275161262_thumb.jpg

drufornano
post-53013-1275200924.jpg

Nice; I like the rock work in the corner.

thanks Seabass, that means alot coming from a Nano vet...cheers!

here some day mode pics:

post-53013-1275259446_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259460_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259475_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259486_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259513_thumb.jpg

electrics and dry sump : )

post-53013-1275259501_thumb.jpg

i love your aquascaping! let me know how those leds hold up!

hey dstruong- in cycling mode, sigh. although everything is holding up well in terms of the LED's. Just threw in a couple cleaning crew. It's crazy green bush country in my pico. havent really tested my water parameters yet.

thanks Seabass, that means alot coming from a Nano vet...cheers!

here some day mode pics:

post-53013-1275259446_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259460_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259475_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259486_thumb.jpg

post-53013-1275259513_thumb.jpg

electrics and dry sump : )

nice setup. and WHERE can i get a sump like that ?? now I know where i have been messing up all of these years.

post-53013-1275259501_thumb.jpg

Archived