ReefCleaners.org

Media Basket made of FIRE!

shift_9k

Hey guys made a media basket today out of eggcrate. I couldnt really find anything reliable to cut with so after struggling to cut out the right measurement. I just melted the said piece with my lighter and just bent them. I also zip tied some other shelves that I burnt and pulled apart. Givin it wasn't the nicest/cleanest job, but it works awesome.

Now the question, a lame one maybe, but will the burnt plastic have any effect on the water?

100px-Plastic-recyc-06.svg.png

Burning polystyrene releases toxic fumes, but I'm not sure about the end product being reef safe. Polystyrene (what most egg crate is made of) is commonly used in reef tanks. Although some people question if it leaches anything harmful into the water (even before it is burned).

So I think that your question does have merit as you often hear not to reuse polyethylene terephthalate (what most soft drink bottles are made of) because it starts to break down when heated.

100px-Plastic-recyc-01.svg.png

Sorry, that was a long way to go, for an 'I don't know' answer. However, you can purchase egg crate made out of acrylic and cut it with wire cutters (which should be reef safe).

Interesting. I did wipe the entire thing down. Dont know if that really makes a difference, according to you're post. This was just regular run of the mill egg crate from HD.

Archived