ReefCleaners.org

Rocko's Modern Macro Reef

rocko52286

rocko52286

FTS 08-3-2010 as seen from my favorite spot on the couch :D

tank063.jpg

EDIT: Below is the original first post.

--------------------------------------------

Had a tank for almost a year now, and have finally decided the direction I want to go...MACRO. I currently have a 40b on order from my lfs, and have painted a stand/hood that I got from craigslist. Tank gets her on wed!!

Im going to be filtering this tank with two rena xp3 canister filters. My idea is that these two nitrate/phosphate factory's will provide excellent fertz for the macros. The best part is that I already have them, so it wont cost extra. Im also hoping that between the two cans, I wont need to take up space with as many powerheads.

Ive included pics of my newly painted stand.

post-46897-1273087414_thumb.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rocko52286

I have a 30" Current Sat that I will be using on this tank. I will probably mount it inside the hood somehow. At the moment, it has a 65 watt dual daylight, and a 50/50. I think this should be plenty to house most macros. I am not planning on doing any sea grasses.

I am going to purchase two hydor flows, and attach them to the outlets on my rena xp3. I read that the max gph is ~300 gph through the hydor flows, but I think that the media inside the xps should slow the gph down enough. I think that this set up will provide enough flow and random movement for the tank.

My fish list so far will be a blue papuan toby, red spotted hawkfish, and a pajama cardinal. Of course I will have various snails, but I think I am going to stay away from hermits. Ive read that hermits could end up eating the macro. I do like hermits though, so if someone could ease my fears that would be awesome.

I recieved my first macros from reefcleaners, and they are awesome. My favorite right now is the codium. Im not sure, but I think I was sent more than I actually ordered. Very prompt service, and everything arrived looking great.

rocko52286
pichers plz. thx.

Planning on doing pics during the set up. This tank will be well documented. TANK GETS HERE TOMORROW!!! omgomgomg . The stuff I bought from reefcleaners is just waiting in the tank thats getting broken down into the 40b.

Question: I currently have a spotted hawkfish (who is awesome). I would really like to get a long nose hawk as well. Has anyone tried this before? My planned aquascape is going to have perches/caves galore.

Purchased:

Blue Papuan Toby (beautiful fish)

Pajama Cardinal

Spotted Hawkfish

Thinking about:

Manadarin (down the line)

Long Nose Hawkfish

Perc Pair

Diamond Goby

Suggestions please B)

rocko52286
No suggestions but I do want to follow along.

Aaha...cool. Anyone have any thoughts on the long nose/red spotted hawkfish combo?

rocko52286
mixing hawkfish is generally not a good idea.

Yeah I know. I was hoping to get an out of the ordinary success story to justify the purchase. You know... like

"I keep my clam 10 inches under my pc's and its thriving" kind of thing... :rolleyes: oh well.

lol, in that case, why even bother with the justification? buy the second hawk and hope for the best. I've seen stranger things happen than two hawkfish getting along. ;)

rocko52286

Yeah. Im just tired of killing fish because I did something stupid. Want this tank to benefit from the mistakes of my previous tank(s). I will get that clam though........you think it will go be ok with the toby?? :D

rocko52286

TANK IS HERE!!!

Step one: Backround

I am using vinyl for the backround. As you can see, I am a little short. My supplier has some new guy working most of the time, and wants to charge me $50 bucks for a piece of 36x14.

nanoreef003.jpg

So I decided to piece together what I had. Hopefully it turns out ok. If not, Ican always pull it off and try something different.

nanoreef005.jpg

Once it dries, I will take a look and decide if I like it.

rocko52286

Camera needs new batteries, so no pics till I get some. Tank is wet and the aquascape is done. Now I am letting it cycle. Tomorrow will be the filter instalation.

rocko52286

Alright. Got batteries.

nanoreef007.jpg

nanoreef009.jpg

nanoreef010.jpg

And now with water...

nanoreef011.jpg

nanoreef012.jpg

nanoreef015.jpg

I have installed on of the two xp3 that will be on this system. Judging by the movement created by a single xp3 with a hydor flo, I think doubling that will be perfect. For now there is a k2 in the system to keep the water churning.

Next will be the addition of a second xp3/hydor along with ze fishez :D

Cool tank.. nice wiener fish. lol

BTW, I used to love that show Rocko's modern life.. hilarious..

Just remember...turn the page, wash your hands, turn the page, was your hands...

Archived