Cultivated Reef

Suspended Nano Reef

Snowsrfr

I actually go this idea from a local reefer who did the same thing to his nano cube recently. I just took it one step farther by covering the PVC pieces in sand to give it a slightly more natural look. They are simply black PVC unions (1 3" and 1 2") that I picked up at Home Depot. I really like the nice open look and the increased circulation throughout the rock, sand and tank in general.

IMG_1408_1024.jpg

IMG_1407_1024.jpg

IMG_1409_1024.jpg

It looks like you could achieve the same thing with two pieces of rock instead of PVC.. or am I missing something...

I don't get it...

It looks like you could achieve the same thing with two pieces of rock instead of PVC.. or am I missing something...

I don't get it...

I don't know if you could get this with rock, PVC is much more stable than rock and easier to build on. However, if you wanted to make it really look like it was floating I'd go with acrylic rods.

I finally figured out what I'm looking at ! It's like Steve T's clam pedestals, but for LR ! Live Rock pedestal. Looks good and pretty natural covered in sand. You could glue some rubble on their as an alternative if one didnt want it so smooth.

I like.

so crabs can climb up the pedestals to get to the rock, right?

I don't get it...

I'm sure if I had smaller pieces of rock with a flat surface it could be. Seeing as how most rock is rounded or uneven, achieving the balance I need is a bit more difficult.

I finally figured out what I'm looking at ! It's like Steve T's clam pedestals, but for LR ! Live Rock pedestal. Looks good and pretty natural covered in sand. You could glue some rubble on their as an alternative if one didnt want it so smooth.

I like.

so crabs can climb up the pedestals to get to the rock, right?

That is actually my next step. To epoxy live rock rubble to the pedastals. Crabs and snails actually have no problem climbing up with the sand on it, but I think the rubble will make it look a little more natural.

That is actually my next step. To epoxy live rock rubble to the pedastals. Crabs and snails actually have no problem climbing up with the sand on it, but I think the rubble will make it look a little more natural.

Rubble is definitely a good way to do it.

johnmaloney

nice job!

cool trick i learned the other day that would fit in with this cool trick thread is using stone cutters to slice rocks to make one edge perfectly flat. Makes for secure stacking...anyway I thought that was a cool trick too.

I thought I was going to see an entire reef tank suspended in the air.

I thought so too, when I saw PCV I was like "this isn't going to hold !"

:lol:

Took some live rock rubble from chamber 2 and hid the PVC on the front and sides and moved my zoas to the base of the large structure. Will post a pic as soon as the water clears up a bit.

I thought I was going to see a reef tank suspended in some high rise building..... what was I thinking.....

This is cool :)

lakshwadeep

This seems similar to the "live framing" technique of using large PVC pipes as supports for pillars of rocks.

Archived