Cultivated Reef

Pilg0re's 10 gallons mixed reef of awesomeness!

Pilg0re

Ok, so here's my first shot at a SW tank.

Current Equipment:

Standard 10g tank

Marineland 50W Stealth Pro Heater

Aquaclear 70 fuge mod

Wet's ATO

Aquaclear 20

Fishneedit 150w MH

2 Koralia Nanos

Livestock:

~17lbs of fully cured live rock

Dry Sand

3 Astraea snails

6 Cerith Snails

Emerald Crab

2 baby False Perculas

1 Green Mandarin (Saved it from a LFS who claimed it was eating frozen, but looked skinny. On my GF's request I picked her up and trying to get her healthy)

2 Firefish

Frogspawn

Here's the pics :

FTS

OLD

DSC00844.jpg

OLD

DSC01130.jpg

Fuge mod:

DSC00845.jpg

I cut down a junction box from home depot, used krylon fusion to paint it black and attached a fan to it for ventilation. I'm using a Coralife Colormax bulb with a ghetto aluminum foil reflector.

DSC00846.jpg

ATO setup Still need to organize wires:

DSC00847.jpg

My Clowns:

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

My Firefish;

DSC01135.jpg

Frogspawn:

DSC01125.jpg

Small zoa rock:

DSC01120.jpg

And here's a video!

nice! are you planning to add any corals (I assume you are w the furtue T5 or MH fixture lol), what kinds?

Yeah I'm waiting to get an MH fixture from fishneedit.com. The guy who runs it told me they're coming out with new fixtures on the 18th so I'm waiting until then.

But for corals, mostly zoas, lps, and I plan to venture into sps when I feel that I'm comfortable doing it.

Thanks! Yeah they were so small I had to get a pair! Kind of an impulse buy, but I was planning to get them eventually anyways so it wasn't that big of a deal.

DimePieceReef

Nice tank! I need to look into a ATO like that. Good job!

It's nice to see another 10 gallon on the site. I also just started a 10 gal w/ a pair of juvenile clowns. They grow fast.

Yeah, I saw them in my LFS and I had to have them. They just like chilling in that corner though, and sleeping on top of my magnet. I don't think they know the other side of my tank exists yet.

Addictforsure

Hey nice tank! How big is that filter on the back? AC 110? Oh if you ever want to pimp your tank with a rock wall to hide your equipment, give me a holler. I'll be more than willing to help.

It's an AC70 fuge. with as much flow as the 70 has I couldn't imagine a 110 on back. I'd have to go BB if I went with the 110 because sand would be EVERYWHERE if I didn't. You're rock wall does look pretty awesome, if I ever decide to go that route I'll definitely let you know. Since you're from CH which is right down the road lol if you ever need help with anything I'd be more than willing to come out and help you.

chucktdbm321

very nice ! as far as feeding when you go to college i onkly had a sixline wrasse in my tank and it was fine with all the pods i had in my tank, and with corals i usually fed them alot actually cause i have a pretty big skimmer on my tank but none of them needed it, so they were fine during breaks. Check your college to make sure you are allowed to have MH lighting, as for RMU i was not allowed :(

Remeber the simplier your tank is the easier it is going to be to take down

very nice ! as far as feeding when you go to college i onkly had a sixline wrasse in my tank and it was fine with all the pods i had in my tank, and with corals i usually fed them alot actually cause i have a pretty big skimmer on my tank but none of them needed it, so they were fine during breaks. Check your college to make sure you are allowed to have MH lighting, as for RMU i was not allowed :(

Remeber the simplier your tank is the easier it is going to be to take down

True that! Well I'm not too worried about the MH regs as I can just take it down when I have inspections or just say it's something else, etc. As for feeding I'm going to take a look into the auto feeders. I haven't looked at them yet so I can't say whether they're suitable or not.

It sucks, I just transferred schools and they have a 2 year in-dorm requirement and I was 1.5 years into that but I have to stay in the dorms the entire year anyways.

chucktdbm321

yea im staying in a quad with some guys so its not much better then the 2 person dorm lol and as long as you dont have to feed your corals liquid supplements daily you will prob be fine with them. as far as the clowns go see if they eat pellets? or something cause you can get a automatic feeder from walmart i think

The clowns are pigs, they take anything lol but I feed them Hikari Marine S

The mandarin is what I'm worried about. It's most likely a temporary thing until I get her healthy or I can somehow train her to eat pellets.

chucktdbm321

damn mandarin in a 10g i wanted to do that but i wasnt up for the challenge to train them to eat pellets and such during school. Yea, i would def try to get him on pellets so you can use the automatic feeder.

I blame my girlfriend lol. I knew what I was getting into though and she was going to die into the LFS if I didn't try to plump her up. They claimed she ate frozen and I try to feed her frozen 2x daily and she looks fat, but I've never actually seen her eat any of the food I give her.

• 5 weeks later...

Love the red zoa, i have one of those too.

I had a mandarin in my nano. Never once seen her eat, died after two weeks...

Yeah it was going to die at my LFS, I bought it, let her eat all my pods then gave her to a friend with a much larger tank.

Oh yeah I'd also like to note that in my ATO picture the tube going into my AC70 should NOT be in the water unless you want water to be sucked back into your reservoir. I've since fixed it and now it works perfectly. Just a heads up.

• 1 month later...
evolsk8shop

What's up? Tank looks good. I am starting a 10g at my skate shop in Kent (i noticed ur from Cleveland). I want to use an extra MH fixture I have and I'm worried about the heat. Do you have any temp problems with yours?

Another question - Have you ever bought coral from the dude in Lynhurst? He has a sweet frag setup and if you haven't been there you should check it out.

Here is my thread for the 10g:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242966

What's up? Tank looks good. I am starting a 10g at my skate shop in Kent (i noticed ur from Cleveland). I want to use an extra MH fixture I have and I'm worried about the heat. Do you have any temp problems with yours?

None at all, I run a small computer fan across the top of my tank, and it's rock solid at 80. I could turn it lower if I wanted to, but I like to keep my tank at 80.

Another question - Have you ever bought coral from the dude in Lynhurst? He has a sweet frag setup and if you haven't been there you should check it out.

I've never heard of him, is he on here? I'm from Lyndhurst so that would be awesome if I could just get some stuff from him.

Nice tank! Unfortunatly I havn't been keeping up with pictures form my tank, but it's COMPLETELY different now than what it looks like on here. I had a leaky tank,n so I had to transfer everything over to a new 10g. I went BB this time and completely changed my scape. I'll try to steal my GF's camera and post some new pics soon!

evolsk8shop

He isnt on this site but his email is coralznclamz@yahoo.com. Just tell him you want to go see his tanks sometime. I think he has 4 150g frag tanks. Best prices around too. I just got some stuff from him a few weeks ago for my other tank.

Ok, here's some updated news. Awhile back my tank decided it wanted to leak (not fun). During this time I got a new tank, decided to go BB, rearranged my scape and added some new corals!

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

Archived