Cultivated Reef

Dub's 40B Rig

EyDub03

I've been a long time lurker here at Nano-Reef.com. N-R truly is a great resource and endless wealth of inspiration. I've enjoyed reading about many of your tanks over the past several years and I decided it's time to share some of my experiences with my aquatic money pit. The last few years there have been many excellent 40Bs in particular so I decided that was the size to go with. I've been keeping saltwater aquariums now for about 8-9 years. I started with a 65g FOWLR and moved to small humble reefs focusing mostly on softies although I've kept SPS and LPS as well in my various tanks over the years. None of the corals were spectacular, I hope to change that with this rig. I've been compiling equipment for the past 6 months or so but some of the equipment I've had for years.

Equipment

40B Aqueon drilled with a 700gph gl#######s overflow kit with two 3/4" locline returns

Circulation will be some combo of my various sizes of koralias and my MJ mod unit for the time being

20H Aqueon to be turned into a sump

10g refugium

Mag9 return pump

36" Current Nova Extreme Pro

SWC Xtreme 160 Cone (I can't wait to fire this thing up)

Reef Fanatic ATO

Kent Maxxima RODI unit

Stocking Plans

The plan is to move my two ocellaris clowns (1 orange, 1 black) and my falco hawkfish into this new tank when it's set up. They've been living in a 20L for the past year and they need a little more space. I've had the black clown for 2 yrs, the orange clown was my brother's but somehow ended up with her, together we've had her about 3.5-4 yrs. The hawk named Leroy has been with me for 3 yrs+. He doesn't mess with anybody but if somebody decides to mess with him he finishes it. I'd like to add a wrasse, and starcki damsel to this mix down the road. As for corals I'd like to have a small zoa garden, very few softies (maybe some rics & shrooms plus I promised my wife she could get pom-pom xenia bc she's likes how it pulses and sways), some LPS of various types (frogspawn, acans, etc.), and some easier to keep SPS.

Pics to follow this weekend as I build.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it took a little longer to update than anticipated but there has been some progress. I have built the aquarium stand frame and now looking at skinning ideas. Also I made a foam wall and a rock structure with the foam as well. I put resin and sand on both pieces. ?action=view&current=IMG_0659.jpgIMG_0659.jpg?action=view&current=IMG_0664.jpgIMG_0664.jpg?action=view&current=IMG_0669.jpgIMG_0669.jpg?action=view&current=IMG_0668.jpgIMG_0668.jpg?action=view&current=IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0671.jpg My next projects are to silicone the foam wall to the aquarium, skin the stand, put in baffles in the sump, set up a fuge, plumb it and fill it.

• 3 months later...

A long awaited update to the slowest build of all time now going on 9 months due to a lack of tools/space and limited monetary resouces but now only a few weeks until livestock transfer.

Stand skinned and awaiting trim

4942718030_7b463216d9_m.jpg

Stand finished, plumbing complete waiting on the wet stuff (Color is "daring indigo" picked by the Boss/Wife)

4942720728_6091d00d3b_m.jpg

4942723434_9016026d2f_m.jpg

Tank filled on 8/23 and settling

4942726032_1af2013fbc_m.jpg

I can't wait to crank up the new skimmer

4942729772_be5547ee6d_m.jpg

One impatient hawk waiting for his new domain to be ready

4942143777_b1f0a2f737_m.jpg

Getting pumped. The next planned update will be when the fish are moved in. I have a mated pair of occ. clowns and of course Leroy the Hawk, but I'd like to add a couple more this fall. What do people think about four-line wrasses and starcki damsels? Anyone with experiences? If not, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks. The rocks took awhile. I tried every possible arrangement, angle, structure, idea and these are what I ended up with. I used the Great Stuff Pond Foam and Caribsea special grade "seaflor" reef sand. I think they look good but I know they'll look better with coralline on them. I'm seeding with live rock from my current 20L and live sand from there as well. I'm promise more pics in due time.

I'm adding some aquascaping photos I took today. I added a couple pieces of live rock from my 20L right after my last post. I'm not the best photographer and I need to clean the glass. Besides cleaning the glass any other photo tips would be appreciated. I'm getting itchy waiting on transferring the fish and stocking the tank with corals.

FTS

IMG_0689.jpg

Middle Left

IMG_0698.jpg

Front left

IMG_0697.jpg

View from the left panel

IMG_0700.jpg

View from the right panel

IMG_0701.jpg

the orange clown was my brother's but somehow ended up with her, together we've had her about 3.5-4 yrs.

I'd like to add:

1st off you're welcome for the clown, she's a badass baller.

Secondly, The set-up is looking good. You're welcome for the man hours put in as well.

Lastly, add more pics of the fish, corals etc.

Since you're a student you got plenty of time for daily updates. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

DO WORK

Thanks Broseph. You're welcome for the knowledge you gained working as my assistant. Your fat evil clown tried to maul my hand last night when I attempted to take a rock out of the old 20. It was the rock she had been laying eggs on so I guess I should have known better.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Algae has begun to grow at a rapid pace. The SWC cone is breaking in. I picked up 5 lbs of marco rocks from Midwest Coral Farms(1st visit - cool place) that I put in the fuge with some chaeto. Cleanup crew + mangroves + penny macro from reefcleaners.org should be shipping out today according to John. I hope to receive it Wednesday... The hawkfish and fathead anthias are in the tank. At first there was some territory issues but they've cooled out. The clowns have been left in the 20L for now and will remain there until I feel the others are fully established. I'm hoping to minimize the bullying from the clown pair. My wife's parents bought me a Starcki Damsel from liveaquaria.com that should also arrive on Wednesday. I definitely realize this may be far too many fish for the tank and I may have an aquatic thunderdome on my hands. I've heard the starckis are more sedate than other damsels are though in the past I never had any problems with damsels with the exception of dominoes and 3 and 4 stripe damsels. We'll see, to be honest I'm nervous and I'll be watching the tank very closely and I'm prepared to separate everyone if it doesn't go well.... If there are problems I'll be looking to integrate the 20L into the 40B system keeping the clowns separated in the 20. A new round of pics will follow later this week when everything is here.

I love what you have done with this tanks so far. Great job and keep up the good work. It's amazing what you can do with a tank this size, right Plainrt

I'm definately following along.

more pics.Love 40 breeders............Miss mine

I miss your's too, You had the best looking 40br I've ever seen.

This was an up and down week. I received the CUC from reefcleaners.org on Wednesday. Nothing but good things to describe this transaction. Top notch customer service and communication. Great products. I received way more snails than I ordered. Very few were empty shells and very few arrived dead or dying. The ones that were were quickly cleaned up by the nassarius army. I ordered a pack of 5 mangroves and received 10. Also received a halimeda as a penny algae. The penny macro is a cool offering from reefcleaners.org.Thanks for everything, John. Also Wednesday I was supposed to receive my Starcki from Liveaquaria.com. DOA. I was more than bummed and the little lady was really upset. Such a beautiful fish, dead. It was really sad. I decided I would give it another go though so I called up liveaquaria.com. Great customer service here. I received the new Starcki on Friday. Wow, what a pretty fish. This one arrived active but definitely spooked. Followed the acclimation process and allowed him to settle in the old 20L that I'm now using as a quarantine. He's really doing well. So active, so quick. Very aggressive feeder. He hits every piece of food(mysis, cyclopeeze, prime reef flakes, IO Marine Blend gel, NLS small pellets) in the tank with lightning speed.

Mufasa the Great

IMG_0740.jpg

Leilani

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

As for the bad news, the new tank has been overrun with what I think is bryopsis. This is a really a head scratcher. In my almost decade of reefing, I've never had the displeasure of an outbreak. All of the live rocks in the tank were from my old tank and/or the new dry rock I added. I definitely didn't see it in the 20L. I now have the fuge loaded with chaeto, mangroves and the halimeda so hopefully it will outcompete the bryopsis. The skimmer is also now broken in and it is dialed to wet skimming. I assume the macros and the skimmer won't make too much of a difference based on what I've heard and read and that I may need to consider the Tech-M approach later this week. Wish me luck.

Bryopsis Strikes!

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

I sure hope you all are right. I have not ever had anything like it. I hope these pics help ID. My CUC doesn't seem interested in it. The center stalks look like green fishing line and then there are the lateral hair like projecting that radiate out from around the center stalk. I was under the impression that hair algae did not have any lateral projections.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a little while thought I'd provide a little update.

Good news:The hair algae has definitely receded but is holding on in a few areas. I picked up 3 turbos and 3 astreas last weekend and they definitely seem to have a taste for the stuff. Pics will follow when the hair algae is gone...maybe later this week or early next week at this pace.

Bad news: The Current Nova Extreme Pro seems to have had a big set back today. When I came home for the day I noticed the lights seemed a little dim. Walked over and sure enough only 4 bulbs were lit. The first and third from the back were out. I thought "I hope it's only the bulbs but I know better...." I swapped some bulbs around, no dice. Sure looks like one of the ballasts went down. I read on RC that ballasts can be an issue with these fixtures. I never thought it would happen to me....I bought the fixture in February through Current's eBay store. I contacted them tonight through eBay hoping for them to do the right thing. I hope they can offer an acceptable resolution as I've only used the fixture for about a month and now this. I'm going to keep running the fixture with only 4 bulbs for now, but I don't want to be without a fixture long term. Has anybody else had this problem?

So definitely got screwed on the ballast. Looks like I'm going to have to pay up for a $20 replacement ballast and install it myself. Anybody ever replace a ballast in an NEP?

So definitely got screwed on the ballast. Looks like I'm going to have to pay up for a $20 replacement ballast and install it myself. Anybody ever replace a ballast in an NEP?

:(

Nice tank. Glad the algae is receding. Are you able to post larger pics of the scape? Try photobucket and insert the image into your post on NR.

NEW PHOTOS!

Once again I need some serious work on my camera skills. I tried to capture the rock structure/work, fish, and remaining algae. My falco hawkfish was all over avoiding the camera. Let me know your thoughts and please feel free to offer any advice about either the photography or the tank. I can't wait to add coral in a few weeks.

Current FTS - Hair is holding on to the far right rock because the snails never venture out that far as well as a few other isolated pockets that they are too lazy(stupid) to navigate. I'm only running on 4 of my 6 bulbs due to the blown ballast. Coralline is starting to ramp up especially on the overflow.

IMG_0760.jpg

Slight Angle

IMG_0747.jpg

Left Side Foam Wall - I found two aiptasia today that are doomed to meet their maker after this post.

IMG_0748.jpg

Extreme Angle - This is the best I could do to show all of the arches and gaps on the left side of the tank.

IMG_0749.jpg

Right Panel - Rock Structure, algae close-up and ugly, super bleached (but recovering) palys or zoanthids(I'm not sure). The lighting angle makes the anthias look like a ghost.

IMG_0764_1.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

My BA Starcki Damsel - very fast fish, fearless, fed out of my hand from day 1, extremely active, voracious eater, great color....I think this may be my new favorite species

IMG_0751.jpg

His Close-up

IMG_0759.jpg

Impossible to photograph correctly, quiet, shy Fathead - I really like this fish bc she holds her ground and hovers around her territory but recognizes when she doesn't have the firepower to battle the big dogs. She's the runt of the tank only about 1.75" tip to tip. Great color. My photos don't do her any justice. She's a bit of a picky eater.

IMG_0753.jpg

Clown Pair with GSP (nevermind the reflection)

IMG_0761.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The hair algae is mostly gone except for a few really small spots left. Good news, I don't have a blown ballast but I have some sort of loose wiring or bulb issue. I got all positions to fire but never at the same time. Each bulb works but when all bulbs are in the bulbs in the fixture the back slot and the third from the back don't fire. Irritating. I also fragged my frogspawn from my 20L into two pieces and placed them in the breeder. The 20 is coming down this weekend. I will soon have a Remora (needs a pump) and a CPR AquaFuge 2 (medium) with light available along with the tank and stand (light colored sedona series). Also a 20H (wet for a week) and a 10 AGA (never seen water). I'm in big need of new corals. I have green on lockdown. Looking for some frags with more colors (blue, red, orange, purple, anything but green really). Trades, Charity, Cheap....Who wants to help me get started? LPS, SPS, Zoas...Chicago people where are you at?

Picture update

Today's FTS

IMG_0766.jpg

Left Side

IMG_0768.jpg

Right Side

IMG_0769.jpg

Zoolander

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

One of my many yellow sponges - bad pic

IMG_0773.jpg

Protopalythoa vestitus? - Not the prettiest but it was free and I've had it for years.

IMG_0779.jpg

Frogspawn frag

IMG_0774.jpg

Crew at work

IMG_0781.jpg

Archived