Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Seamonkey84

Well my clown seems to know to stay out of it after getting zapped the first two times (he's now got black spots and streaks on him) and is now hosting my xenia and zoanthids. In a big enough tank with non perching fish I guess that's ok, many people have had mixed success with their fish in their "mine fields". But I've also heard how they will lose their $80 fish to a 4" nem they bought for $40. To each their own, just know the risks. If you look in the pico fourm, many of us have started a mini nem garden in mini tanks. Mine is currently a 2.5 gallon with 7 in it, but moving to a 5 for more display space and to switch to black sand. Instead of fish, hosting inverted make a more interesting tank to me. I'll be adding a porcelain crab after the tank upgrade, as I currently have 5 sexy shrimps and a pom pom crab (with his pom pom nems to go with the nem theme).

Add: I now have two boost led par30 bulbs to go over it ( mixing the 12k and 20k bulbs to get a color blend and I'm loving it. About to order their new color combo too to try get the warmer colors to show.

Edited by Seamonkey84

Ok, after deliberation I've decided to do my 14 in the nems, and put everyone else in the 29. That will be 4 fish, a mated pair of clowns, a yellow watchman goby, nd a geometric pygmy hawk.

I think I'm going to add lots of different shrimp to the 14 now, thanks for the idea, Seamonkey! Some sexy shrimp, pom pom crab...and whatever else I can find! And more nems...I only have three right now! Not enough....must....have....more....nems....

Here's my new addiction: (Sorry for the cell pictures, but I didn't feel like getting my tripod and stuff. This is in a 24g AP, so this one is a SUPER MAXI (not so) mini.

5731049644_2ce1d5b2b4_z.jpg

And I picked this guy up for a song as it looks rather bleached. Hoping it will turn orange under my halides :) If it stays that light teal, that'd be cool with me too!

5730498715_0a3d7f5658_z.jpg

Edited by sanchez
pmoradi2002
And I picked this guy up for a song as it looks rather bleached. Hoping it will turn orange under my halides :) If it stays that light teal, that'd be cool with me too!

5730498715_0a3d7f5658_z.jpg

Not bleached, it's a highlighter Maxi Mini.

00331.jpg

Edited by pmoradi2002
Seamonkey84

Wow Sanchez those are some nice ones. I just got one last week that is almost an exact match to that purple one; and Pmoradi that is a nice line up! That said, the purple one I just mentioned settled right on top Of one of my smaller nems, it's been almost a week and the smaller one has yet to crawl out from under it, should I peel the new one off of it or just wait? The new one is bigger and may have actually put it's foot right on the smaller, should i be worried as its completely covered and hasn't been seen since.

pmoradi2002
That said, the purple one I just mentioned settled right on top Of one of my smaller nems, it's been almost a week and the smaller one has yet to crawl out from under it, should I peel the new one off of it or just wait? The new one is bigger and may have actually put it's foot right on the smaller, should i be worried as its completely covered and hasn't been seen since.

Yes, move it. It won't move by itself. I had a few on top of each other and they did not move.

Seamonkey84

Wow, I also have that second to last one ( blue with cream rim). Do you have yours on river gravel? I'm about to switch mine onto black sand hehe

pmoradi2002
Wow, I also have that second to last one ( blue with cream rim). Do you have yours on river gravel? I'm about to switch mine onto black sand hehe

That's a highlighter Maxi, super bright fluorescent :)

I have two tanks, an 18g and a 6g.

The 18g has river gravel, and the 6g has sand.

I think black sand would look super sick.

Yes, move it. It won't move by itself. I had a few on top of each other and they did not move.

Regarding this, I bought another one this weekend.......... dark green with white rim (so addicted)

I put it near the big red/green one and it moved into the same hole in the rock that the red/green has it's foot in. So they both extend but only halfway I guess, is that okay? They're not on top of eachother per-se, and it moved there out of it's own free will. Should I try to move the new one, or just let them hug it out until one gets cramped?

pmoradi2002
Regarding this, I bought another one this weekend.......... dark green with white rim (so addicted)

I put it near the big red/green one and it moved into the same hole in the rock that the red/green has it's foot in. So they both extend but only halfway I guess, is that okay? They're not on top of eachother per-se, and it moved there out of it's own free will. Should I try to move the new one, or just let them hug it out until one gets cramped?

Here's the thing, Maxi's will attach themselves to rock or to the glass.

When you place them in your tank, turn off flow and drop em onto the rock near where you want it. It will attach itself after 20 mins and you can turn flow back on.

I have some that are like that, no need to move it, one will eventually overcome the other and raise on top if it. The other should move.

Hi All,

About to get my first maxi-mini... This will be for my little Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon (maybe some later for my 65 gallon too). This tank has 18 watt PC bulbs (using the upgraded ones from NanoTuners). In that lighting, would these nems be okay near the top of the tank? Or middle / lower?

I'm going to have little fish in this tank too (all 2.5" or less) - a little worried about them eating my fish... I plan to get:

Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse

Tailspot Blenny

Hi-Fin Banded Goby + Pistol Shrimp

I'll probably get 2 sexy shrimp too. Thanks,

--Kyle

pmoradi2002
Hi All,

About to get my first maxi-mini... This will be for my little Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon (maybe some later for my 65 gallon too). This tank has 18 watt PC bulbs (using the upgraded ones from NanoTuners). In that lighting, would these nems be okay near the top of the tank? Or middle / lower?

I'm going to have little fish in this tank too (all 2.5" or less) - a little worried about them eating my fish... I plan to get:

Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse

Tailspot Blenny

Hi-Fin Banded Goby + Pistol Shrimp

I'll probably get 2 sexy shrimp too. Thanks,

--Kyle

From who I wonder :happy:

Here's the thing, Maxi's will attach themselves to rock or to the glass.

When you place them in your tank, turn off flow and drop em onto the rock near where you want it. It will attach itself after 20 mins and you can turn flow back on.

I have some that are like that, no need to move it, one will eventually overcome the other and raise on top if it. The other should move.

Okay cool, that's what I've been doing. Whenever I get one, I put it right on top of the rock where the first one is, right up front. One of them moved about 3 inches back between two rocks and the other squeezed it's way into the same hole as the first one. Either way, the three of them are right up front for the most part so I love it :)