SaltCritters.com

Fallenlordz 55g Reef Tank (aka. Money Drainer)

fallenlordz

fallenlordz

YouTube Main 55g Tank Video <--- Click Me

YouTube Sump 10g Video <--- Click Me

55.jpg

CURRENT PIC

1.jpg

OLD PIC

Here my new 55 gallon reef tank.

Upgraded from a 20 gallon to 55 - moved everything over today.

So much more room for my corals now :lol: (added a extra 35 lbs of live rock: took a while to figure out what goes where)

Specs...

(55g Tank)

- Spray Painted back of tank glossy black

- Glass-holes.com Super Nano Overflow Kit (Best guys to buy from)

- 48" Current Nova Extreme 4x54W T5HO w/4 Lunar Lights + Fan

- 48" Custom Aluminum 1"x1.5" LED Strip Light - 6 Cree XR-E Royal Blue - Buckpuck Driver 1000ma

- 15lbs CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand

- 60lbs Live Rock

- Koralia 1 Powerhead (400gph)

- Koralia 1 Powerhead (400gph)

- Koralia Evolution Powerhead (750gph)

* Current USA Prime Chiller 1/15hp (will be used in the summer months)

* ReefKeeper Lite Controller

(10g Sump)

- 150w Stealth Heater

- Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer

- Phosban Reactor 150

- Mini-Jet 606 Pump

- Rio+ 1700 Water Pump

- Custom 120mm Fan with adjustable Speed control box

- Custom Refugium Heatsink Led Light - 2 Cree XR-E Q5 Cool White - Generic Driver 700ma

(Live Stock)

- 2 x False Percula Clownfish

- 1 x Blue Hippo Tang

- 2 x Cleaner Shrimp

- 5 x Hermit Crabs

- 3 x Astrea Snails

- 3 x Fighting Conch

(Corals)

-Too Many to List (rather just take pics :))

fallenlordz

Updated specs.

More pictures will come later tonight.

Just bought 2 more new corals frags omgomgomg the addiction never stops.

fallenlordz

Pics of bottom 10g sump and pics of main 55g tank... (still need to make white LED light for sump & royal blue LED light for main tank)

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

Nice tank. I'll be following this thread since I'm in the process of setting up my tank in the next couple of weeks. Did you add 35lbs of rock to the 60 you already had or do you have 60 lbs total? I'm trying to decide how much I should add to my 90g and I like the way rock looks.

fallenlordz
Nice tank. I'll be following this thread since I'm in the process of setting up my tank in the next couple of weeks. Did you add 35lbs of rock to the 60 you already had or do you have 60 lbs total? I'm trying to decide how much I should add to my 90g and I like the way rock looks.

I had 20 lbs originally from my old 20g tank. Just transferred that to the new 55g tank. Bought 40 pounds and placed in a big bucket for 4 weeks with salt water running 24/7, while I was setting up my 55g tank.

Also ditched the old sand and bought new sand. Did not want to risk a big cycle problem with old sand.

fallenlordz

Hi again - just some updates on my 55g tank.

Everything seems to be growing fine, and no trace of any ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I spot feed the fish and coral anyway.

Summer is coming - Might need a chiller soon.

Made some custom LED lights to supplement my tank. Man do they look good, all corals pop with only the blue light on. Its blinding with just 6 LED.

Added a 48" aluminum flat bar that I spray painted black, and mounted 6 Cree XR-E Royal Blue LED running at 1000ma.

Also added a Fuge light Heatsink mounted with 2 XR-E Q5 Cool White LED running at 700ma.

Also bought some more corals. :lol:

Enclosed is some current pics taken today...

DSC03216.jpg

DSC03219.jpg

DSC03227.jpg

DSC03230.jpg

B)

fallenlordz

Just bought a used like new Current USA 1/15 chiller (with lots of free plumbing parts) :haha:

Doing a warm Fresh Water flush of the insides right now.

Dont have to worry about the summer heat in my house now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
fallenlordz

Took out all the 60lbs Aragamax Oolitic Sand this week - man it was annoying lol

Sand is to powdery for my taste. Going to replace it with 15lb of CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand - 1.25–1.95 mm diameter grain size. Nice and thick sand (will keep shallow sand base with 15lb)

Also had to rearrange all the rocks - since it was not stable without sand. At least i know now the rocks will never tumble over if any new sand is moved.

Will put up new pics - when new sand comes in.

• 1 month later...
fallenlordz

Been awhile since a new post - Added in new sand - its been close to a month now - everything is now stable. (also added a ReefKeeper Lite Controller - its so nice to have this, so many options)

Also got a 7 headed frogspawn - traded away old sand for it :haha:

Will post full tank shots with other new corals soon.

But here a quick shot of the new frogspawn...

frogspawn.jpg

• 1 month later...
I love the max min on the sump. Good macro shots, what camera/lens combo are you using.

The camera is a regular Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55 not the best camera :( (but im to poor to get a better one, when there is so many nice corals to buy)

Wow I have not updated in a while LOL. (need to update soon with new pics) the xenia is taking over ahhhhhhhhh :o

• 2 years later...
masterofdisguise

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I was wondering about your overflow/return. Did you cut your own teeth into the overflow? And what size return line did you use? And finally how many gph are you getting? The reason I'm asking is because in the next month or so I'm going to be setting up a 55 gallon and I'm really getting hung up on the filtration.

Archived