Pod Your Reef

Midnight's Nano 28 LED , Custom Sump, Custom Stand

Midnightsun

Midnightsun

Ok, Took a while but finally got her up and running, Built my own Acrylic sump good for 11 gallons of actual water capacity when running which brings my total up to around 39 gallons. Built a custom stand from a kitchen module at Home depot, added all the doors, stain, varnish and the coolest thing about this is there are wheels in the back. :D They way it works is you are supposed to lift the front slightly to move it but I installed those teflon glide pads under the front legs which makes it easy to just push. Also added a fixed leg under the center as I was worried about the sump weight. Super cool for maintenance and getting at the back where I have located all my stuff away from humidity and salt creep. Take a look and wish me luck and feel free to comment. :D

faqyw1.jpg

2akd3x1.jpg

wkqyhu.jpg

14tn5ag.jpg

szviqf.jpg

Midnightsun
your rig is pretty clean. why the need to put a nanocube on it?

Started out buying the Nano and did not like the limitations of the narrow, small stand and went from there. Kinda just evolved into what you see. Made it keeping in mind IF I really enjoy this reef keeping stuff I have room for a custom 60 gallon on the stand. ;) Custom tank dimensions would be 23 deep x 29 wide x 22 high which would leave around 1/2" all around.

WOW! That is one of the most heavily mod'd Nano's I've seen. You did an awesome job on the sump. What glue did you use to waterproof the acrylic? The stand is also nicely done! I'd love to do something different than the old stock stand.

Are you still using the media basket that you got from me? It looked like there was one in the middle chamber but it looked like you took the middle shelf out? It was hard to distinguish on the one photo.

Midnightsun
Are you still using the media basket that you got from me? It looked like there was one in the middle chamber but it looked like you took the middle shelf out? It was hard to distinguish on the one photo.

Actually it was because of the faulty glue that I learned how to "bond" acrylic. No glue actually works well on acrylic and you basically use a solvent which melts the 2 together. Here is a clip showing how it's done.

I actually made my own media basket making it deeper than yours. I was able to do this because I ground down the lip on the tank top edge to give me a little more room. Mine is similar but yet different in that needs are only course sponge filtration and the lower level serves to hold a big load of chemipure elite. I can easily add another level anytime I need as the levels sit on an edge. Kinda hard to explain but I will post pics to show what I mean. This makes it a little more flexible than glueing in the egg crate. The addition of the handle on the top makes it a breeze to remove. ;) The perforated pastic tray bases are from a sheet at home depot in the roofing department which I cut to size. (Some kinda plastic, screw on vent cover)

Now mine has a 100 micron filter sock in the sump so I do not need fine filter floss in the basket and my sump will eventually serve as a huge refugium. Different needs as you can see.

71ntiw.jpg

k2ees.jpg

Midnightsun

Shot of underside of stand plumbing. Simple yet neat. Notice the temp is at 73. Obviously no need for a chiller. Temps were at 72 but just kicked in the heater. B)

2mzjyh2.jpg

Awesome Australian live rock. Love this stuff. Obviously I only threw it in there to get things started but the shape/quality of this stuff is amazing. Got it at our local reef shop.

1196otv.jpg

That is the same gluing technique I use on my baskets as well. I've never tried to make a water tight seal though, that is why I was asking. Were you able to get a water tight seal using weldon or did you have to go back over your joints with silicon.

Midnightsun
That is the same gluing technique I use on my baskets as well. I've never tried to make a water tight seal though, that is why I was asking. Were you able to get a water tight seal using weldon or did you have to go back over your joints with silicon.

Don't really know if I used Weldon as I picked it up at the local (commercial) plastics supplier but if you looked at the linked "how to video" he uses a small squeeze bottle with what looks like a syringe end. This is exactly what I used. The product in the bottle is like water and if you put it on your skin it is cold and evaporates in seconds. Basically a kind of solvent. What blew me away was I made a little box for my skimmer and just cut my pieces, applied the solvent which kinda just sucks into place on it's own. When done, I filled it with water. I could not believe it was water proof but it was. Built the sump assuming it would be water proof also and yes, it was. Never needed to go back and seal anything. This acrylic stuff is simply mind boggling. You must be using something different as I cannot see how it is possible to come undone as the two mated pieces literally become one.

Your setup is amazing, but I don't see why you would keep the nano-cube if you could have a bigger tank on the stand. Good luck with your setup, can't wait to see some life in the tank.

Midnightsun
Your setup is amazing, but I don't see why you would keep the nano-cube if you could have a bigger tank on the stand. Good luck with your setup, can't wait to see some life in the tank.

Reason is cost and I really do not feel like or have the time to custom build a LED light system for a bigger tank. If there is one thing I am sold on and nobody will change my mind on this, is LED lighting.

I have already decided that if I do change to a bigger tank I would use the existing led setup in my Nano. I would remove it and custom build a black opaque enclosure frame out of acrylic which would house the LED set up but I would need another LED nano hood as 2 of these side by side in a custom enclosure would be the cats meow for the size of tank which would be ideal for my stand/future tank. If any one out ther knows where I can get my hands on another Nano LED hood at a decent price, by all means,let me know. ;)

• 6 months later...

Well here is an update. Kinda been a while but everything has gone perfectly and not a sigle loss or issue. Really happy with the outcome and ease of the entire setup. My photography skills suck big time but at least it gives you some idea of what it looks like 7 months later.

242txrp.jpg

oh1lqr.jpg

se7fc7.jpg

2sbn2vn.jpg

Nice build and a great looking tank. The stand is well executed and very nice. How long have you had the clam in there and how well has it adjusted, as I have been looking to add one to my own Nano Cube LED, and am just hitting the 5 month mark?

Nice build and a great looking tank. The stand is well executed and very nice. How long have you had the clam in there and how well has it adjusted, as I have been looking to add one to my own Nano Cube LED, and am just hitting the 5 month mark?

Thanks for the compliments. The tank saw the clam at 6 months so it has basically been in there for only a month. Everything seems fine but I guess time will tell. I typo'd on my last post as the aquarium is 7 months old

• 2 weeks later...

I really like how clean your plumbing and wiring is.

My 24g Nano Cube is currently plumbed with the sump located in the stand. Because my cube was already running when I added the sump, I had to drill the back of my tank. If I ever upgrade to the 28g LED, I will probably drill the bottom of the back chambers before I add water.

• 2 months later...

Here is a once in a lifetime shot. Take a look at the star fish, looks like he is sitting on the rocks taking in the view. Reminds me of Patrick in Sponge Bob.

260txsz.jpg

Tank is doing exceptionally well by the way. Cheers.

Awesome job, I would love to do the same. I there anything different you would have done with the stand or the sump?

About the only thing is I should have put the sock mount a little lower into the sump as if I do not clean it at least once a week it will over flow partially over the sump. Will do so next time I pull the sump out for a through cleaning in maybe 6 moths or so. I was using the standard fleece like socks but found them a royal pita to clean. I have since purchase mesh style socks and they are so easy to clean and highly recommend this type over the standard. http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIVE-CORAL-ME...6#ht_2048wt_907

Went through 2 different magnetic glass cleaners only to find the ultimate is the nano. ;)

I think your aquarium is very beautiful but a bit too much equipment, with equipment like that you can build a bigger aquarium, a little redundant.

CMIIW :D

If you read the initial post you will see why. Basically if I still have a pasion for this after another year or so, I will build a custom tank, 29" x 23" x 22", gut the nano led canopy to install the light over the new 63 gallon setup without needing to add or modify anything else. ;) This is my first stab at a reef, so far loving it every day. B)

Archived