Cultivated Reef

My 12g Eclipse

Julee

I bought this tank not knowing that it was actually made for freshwater fish and they just threw in a bio filtration system to get it into the saltwater craze. No big deal though, I will make it work and so far so good. I had a really fast cycle, my guess it is because of the LR I bought was cultured and I bought it locally so it wasn't out of water for very long, maybe 20-30 min. I bought the LR, LS and two Bluegreen Chromis all at once. (a friend told me that it would be a quicker cycle with the fish). Well, it was quick all right, not sure if the fish actually contributed much but they are still alive and well. Very hardy fish.

After the cycle I learned a bio-wheel was a nitrate factory so I took it out and added a couple other rocks to it.

All this time I was checking the water every other day and doing partial water changes at any sign of another cycle. Nitrates was the only thing that really got up there, 20 was the average, everything else stayed at 0 for the most part.

I added a Blotch snail, and a nauss snail as a clean up crew. When most of the algae was gone I added a peppermint shrimp to take out the aptasia that was spreading. When all was stable and pretty clean with still some algae here and there I added my Bicolor Blenny. Most recent I thru in 2 small cerith snails to get into the really small places, and along the edge of the sand.

The tank is nothing spectacular and looks quite pathetic compared to a lot of tanks on here but it is a work in progress. Eventually I will get a better light, etc. As of right now at this moment it is basically a FOWLR. With a couple little button polyps hanging in there that hitched a ride.

Hope to get some feedback and any suggestions, that is why I am here, to learn, learn, learn. I already know my next tank will be a 30 gallon so I will be sticking around for a long time I'm sure if it all works out. Here are a few pics, and again feel free to put in your .02 but be nice about it. LOL

post-51934-1270233515_thumb.jpg

This was before I rearranged it, my Blenny wasn't very happy.

post-51934-1270233595_thumb.jpg

Before the dust settled they were all staking their claim. Even the Blenny who hangs out on the rocks now.

post-51934-1270233825_thumb.jpg

Covered my pump up being worried the Blenny was getting too close, seems it was a good idea I did, my shrimp seems to like living on the edge.

That is it for now, as I go along I will add more pics. And let everyone know my progress and any changes I make. Ciao for now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started off with a 12 gallon Eclipse two years ago and I still have it running for my quarantine tank. I actually had no problems with it besides the really weak lighting system. There aren't a lot of mod options for the lights though. Hence I upgraded to a 95 gallon, 24 gallon, and a 12 gallon with MH's on them.. The Eclipse is the beginning of the addiction..Your tank's looking good..... Another option is making it into a Seahorse tank..Keep up the good work

GrandpaFeathers

There is a 96 watt PC retrofit lighting upgrade you can do, I did it to mine back when I had it. It'll open up many options.

I started off with a 12 gallon Eclipse two years ago and I still have it running for my quarantine tank. I actually had no problems with it besides the really weak lighting system. There aren't a lot of mod options for the lights though. Hence I upgraded to a 95 gallon, 24 gallon, and a 12 gallon with MH's on them.. The Eclipse is the beginning of the addiction..Your tank's looking good..... Another option is making it into a Seahorse tank..Keep up the good work

Thanks I'm glad you think it is looking good. :) A Seahorse tank sounds really interesting, I will keep that in mind for in the future after I upgrade and have some time under my belt. I had considered using it as a QT also. Having one sounds like a really wise choice.

There is a 96 watt PC retrofit lighting upgrade you can do, I did it to mine back when I had it. It'll open up many options.

I have looked into those lights, seems to be the ideal retro for this tank. I also found a really nice LED moonglow light that is compact that screws right under the hood. With it's own power source (after upgrading the daylights) Thanks for your input. :)

animalmaster6

I like your formation! :)

Your blenny is also very cool!

It's nice to see another Eclipse owner. My 12 gallon is an Eclipse. It will become my QT when the 125 gallon is up.

I should've done the lighting upgrade <_< I have lost an acan, favia, mushrooms, and a few others becuase of the crappy lights.

My Fruit Loops Zoanthids are really nice but they look awful under my lights.

I like the Eclipse a lot though other than that.

Thanks, all of my livestock is pretty fun to watch as a whole, they all act like they are the boss but don't hurt each other any. I don't really have enough LR in there, I need about 6 or 7 more lbs. I think that is about 4-5 lbs. if that. It was weighed wet after all. :( Went and checked out your 12g, very nice as well, will have to check out your 125g thread next.

Eclipse are great tanks. I started out in saltwater with a 12 eclipse same as you FOWLR for the first year than a couple shrooms n polyps. I left the bio wheel in as it had a TON of life growing on it. There were tons of THose sponges growing all over it so i decided to leave it in. Also, I used a 1-2 " layer of crushed coral as substrate and had tons of pods, worms, brittle running throught the substrate. The corallife screw in 50/50 light looks great in those tanks but if you really want to go reef check out ahsupply.com. It is easy to retro fit a 36 watt CF 50/50 in the hood with little heat problems. Un screw factory light, use dremel to clean out inside of hood smooth, very easy. Replace light button with supplied vent. Screw in SICK parabolic reflector and mount light. Mount ballast externally and your good to go. I just kept the feeding lid propped with a shell for additional venting in summer and made an acrylic splash shield that rests on the rim to protect the light from splash. I am planning to start it back up any day now. Good luck and great first fish, blennys are very cool. If you have any questions hit me up.

Eclipse are great tanks. I started out in saltwater with a 12 eclipse same as you FOWLR for the first year than a couple shrooms n polyps. I left the bio wheel in as it had a TON of life growing on it. There were tons of THose sponges growing all over it so i decided to leave it in. Also, I used a 1-2 " layer of crushed coral as substrate and had tons of pods, worms, brittle running throught the substrate. The corallife screw in 50/50 light looks great in those tanks but if you really want to go reef check out ahsupply.com. It is easy to retro fit a 36 watt CF 50/50 in the hood with little heat problems. Un screw factory light, use dremel to clean out inside of hood smooth, very easy. Replace light button with supplied vent. Screw in SICK parabolic reflector and mount light. Mount ballast externally and your good to go. I just kept the feeding lid propped with a shell for additional venting in summer and made an acrylic splash shield that rests on the rim to protect the light from splash. I am planning to start it back up any day now. Good luck and great first fish, blennys are very cool. If you have any questions hit me up.

I didn't even think to look at the wheel when I took it out, didn't dawn on me that anything would be living on it going round and round. :lol: I like that light set-up, it sounds like a great idea out of all that I have seen, and will cost about the same and get instructions too. I like that idea. Sounds like I will have to get a timer for it. I wonder if two would fit under there, it has morning light type bulbs as well and that is really cool. I also haven't found any that length either, another plus. Thanks for the info!

I figured while I was here I would add a pic, I know how everyone likes pictures :D

post-51934-1270272346_thumb.jpg

I went and got 8 more lbs of LR. That puts me at approx. 12lbs now. I went to a different LFS and it was a better rock and about 5 dollars cheaper too. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but they had a bunch in unlit tanks. Nice color to them and coraline growing on them also. I will be doing partial water changes every day because I do have 3 fish in the tank and a shrimp. I think they will be okay I made up a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater yesterday all ready to go. Here is my new rock (the orange ones on the right). I believe it is Marshall Island? Have to double check that but I'm pretty sure that is what he said it was called. $3 a lb.

post-51934-1270800623_thumb.jpg

side view

post-51934-1270800567_thumb.jpg

I think I will keep it the way it is too.

Thanks! I however did mess around and rearrange it and finally came up with this: I think I'm done now, Mr. Blenny kept nipping at me so I think he is happy now too with the arrangement. post-51934-1271525470_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the world of eclipse tanks. Upgrade the lighting sooner than later.

074.jpg

Nice and bright! Did you use a kit in the hood? And if so where did you get it? I have taken the original filteration out to get rid of the dark corner but yours looks bright even with it in there.

Here are some recent pictures, I just got some corals from a fellow member PNWMA I just joined.

post-51934-1272670864_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670875_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670885_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670898_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670910_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670920_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670930_thumb.jpg

post-51934-1272670946_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have had a few problems with 2 of my new corals. They didn't want to stay put! I have a green sinularis that looks good in the previous pick that decided to take a dive off the toothpic and I now have it in a clam shell with sand and 2 pieces of rubble along with rubber bands crisscrossed keeping it place....hope it works. I have placed it 3 times now. The Xenia in the left corner hasn't stayed anywhere either and I finally just let it go, it is now about 6 inches to the back at the base of the rock (attached) still alive but wayyy smaller and darker. I shoved a piece of rubble next to it hoping it will attach to it and I can move it to a better spot. Other then that the rest look good so far. Here is the latest of this one, I had to adjust the flow to get it to finally stand up. I think it is a kenya tree, if not feel free to correct me. :)

post-51934-1273472988_thumb.jpg

Nice and bright! Did you use a kit in the hood? And if so where did you get it? I have taken the original filteration out to get rid of the dark corner but yours looks bright even with it in there.

Yes, I bought the kit and fit it into the existing good. I even used the stock screw setup to attach the retro in place. I didn't do any additional wiring since the retro kit comes with its own external ballast with on/off switch.

I did have to bend the reflector a bit to get it to fit inside the hood with the filter. But this wasn't hard.

I special ordered the retro from my LPS but this is the exact product sold HERE.

The tank thread is in my sig.

• 3 weeks later...
Lookin great!

What did you lose?

A pulsing Xenia, it just wouldn't stay happy for some reason. Then something seemed to be eating on it(bristle worms I think) as it got smaller and smaller, so I took it out finally.

When are you goin to upgrade lighting?

I'm not sure, in the next couple months probably. I just adopted a pair of ferrets so I need to get them in for a check up and all first. I bought a little sun lamp for now clips on and has a bendy neck) from dr. foster and smith doesn't seem to do much for it but it looks a tiny bit brighter. :) Would be good for my hob if I change it to a fuge. They are all really easy corals so they should be fine and not grow too fast for me for now.

Archived