ReefCleaners.org

This is a really cool looking fish.

jaydanevich

jaydanevich

Sorry, I just came across this on Glassbox's site and thought I would share it. It looks like the same fish.

Even if there is only one of them it could be paired up with a normal one and produce F1 baby that would be carrier of the mutation. Then pairing the baby together would produce on average about 50% of the mutant and 25% normal wich would be carrier and 25% normal. That is if the trait is recessive.

IF it is dominant trait, pairing that fish with any normal will produce 50% mutant and 50% normal!

In any case it is still possible to reproduce that mutation even if there is only one of them. It is just so risky because if that fish die before reproducing, then the mutation is lost.

I surely hope someone reproduce that fish because it's an awesome mutation.

WHOA!!! So there are 2 of those fish out there? I wonder someone could pair them up.
Even if there is only one of them it could be paired up with a normal one and produce F1 baby that would be carrier of the mutation. Then pairing the baby together would produce on average about 50% of the mutant and 25% normal wich would be carrier and 25% normal. That is if the trait is recessive.

IF it is dominant trait, pairing that fish with any normal will produce 50% mutant and 50% normal!

In any case it is still possible to reproduce that mutation even if there is only one of them. It is just so risky because if that fish die before reproducing, then the mutation is lost.

I surely hope someone reproduce that fish because it's an awesome mutation.

Not quite that simple. It could be controlled by multiple genes, may require some physical cue, and may not even be genetic at all! There is simply not enough information on this morph yet to know exactly what causes it.

Hey, Guys. My name is Ret Talbot, and I am a writer and photographer who frequently covers the marine aquarium industry. I had the opportunity to see and photograph this fish when I was in Papua New Guinea researching a story on the SEASMART Program. I also had the opportunity to dive on the reef where this fish, as well as the previously collected one, was collected. I have been following this fish since it arrived in the States (at Pacific Aqua Farms) and made its way to Blue Zoo Aquatics. More information will become public later today from BZA, but I can tell you guys now that BZA ensured that the fish went to a respected independent breeder, not the highest bidder (and the highest bid was WAY more than the price published on the site). In short, you may be seeing captive bred PNG lightning maroon clowns soon (several potential mates collected from the same reef were also shipped to the breeder)! You may also like to know that the fisher who collected this fish, a local villager, was well compensated for his efforts, as direct economic development of villages where SEASMART-trained fishers live is central to the SEASMART Program. Pretty sweet, no?

cheryl jordan
Hey, Guys. My name is Ret Talbot, and I am a writer and photographer who frequently covers the marine aquarium industry. I had the opportunity to see and photograph this fish when I was in Papua New Guinea researching a story on the SEASMART Program. I also had the opportunity to dive on the reef where this fish, as well as the previously collected one, was collected. I have been following this fish since it arrived in the States (at Pacific Aqua Farms) and made its way to Blue Zoo Aquatics. More information will become public later today from BZA, but I can tell you guys now that BZA ensured that the fish went to a respected independent breeder, not the highest bidder (and the highest bid was WAY more than the price published on the site). In short, you may be seeing captive bred PNG lightning maroon clowns soon (several potential mates collected from the same reef were also shipped to the breeder)! You may also like to know that the fisher who collected this fish, a local villager, was well compensated for his efforts, as direct economic development of villages where SEASMART-trained fishers live is central to the SEASMART Program. Pretty sweet, no?

Thank you very much for providing this information. I hope, that because the fisherman that collected this speciman was well compensated that hopefully this will create an ideal that with the proper collection practices the people of Papua New Guinea can prosper and protect the natural habitat, for ongoing collection.

Well, properly compensated can mean anything? Maybe instead of his 25 cents per day allowance he could have gotten a raise of $1 for the day. Aren't economics wonderful.

On a serious note though, I just read up on SEASMART and I am glad that collection practices are starting to take environmental impacts into consideration.

Blue Zoo Aquatics announced last night that Matthew Pedersen is the breeder who is undertaking the lightning maroon clownfish breeding project. You can follow his progress on the blog dedicated to the project at www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com. For more backstory on the fish and the SEASMART Program, you can check out my blog and/or the following two articles:

Lightning Maroon Clownfish

The Story Behind Blue Zoo's PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish

Ret

Well, properly compensated can mean anything? Maybe instead of his 25 cents per day allowance he could have gotten a raise of $1 for the day. Aren't economics wonderful.

I hear ya, but I can assure you this fisher was paid several times the going rate for the most expensive fish ordered--far more than $1. :-)

great, another hideous fish they can charge a crazy overhead for.

i dont see lightning, it looks like a mosaic to me.

What exactly is Seasmart? I google'd it and couldn't find any info.

SEASMART is a joint effort of the Papua New Guinea National Fisheries Authority and Virginia-based EcoEZ. In a nutshell, the goal is to develop a truly sustainable, equitable and profitable marine aquarium industry to Papua New Guinea. Here is the website:

http://seasmart.ecoez.com/

I just spent several weeks researching SEASMART for an article, and so I will be sharing much more about the organization in the coming weeks/months as I begin publishing my articles. In the meantime, if you have questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer based on my experience.

Best,

Ret

UPDATE......

Looks like Seasmart has caught another lightning clown! Take a look at this Jewel!

Check today's date. It's a photoshop...

Archived