Cultivated Reef

LivingStrong's Sexy Solana XL67!

LivingStrong08

LivingStrong08

Word. So it started. After a little delay, my Solana XL67 arrived! Everything about this tank and set-up has been amazing, and exceeding in expectations. Keep in mind this system is in its very premature stage’s, however as excited as I have been about this tank, I know that there are many others who are as excited as I.

The Packaging:

Wow, the tank itself arrives in a huge wooden crate that is wrapped tightly in plastic and very stable. The actual tear down of the crate can be either by crow bar, or screw by screw.. However you choose…I would suggest for protection of the tank, have a charged drill handy.

securedownload.jpg

Once you are able to remove the outer shell of protection you immediately see another protective shell over the wood pre-assembled stand, with tank, sump, and all plumbing and fixings included.

Ok, moving on to the fun stuff. Everything really is plug and play!

After about an hour or two of unloading, unwrapping, moving, and plugging, the tank finally stood… definitely a gracious presents.

20100316_1.jpg

Lighting:

I actually purchased the 48” Sunpod 250w x 2 HQI separate, so I am not sure how this would be included in the package. Also both bulbs are replaced with Phoenix 14K’s. And as you can see from the pic’s the Sunpod is with the hanging arm kit.

20100316_2.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, some time needs to be spent on wire management. However there are a few components that need to be installed before mounting takes place.

20100316_5.jpg

20100316_9.jpg

20100316_7.jpg

Check out the skimmer that arrived today!! Brand New 2010 SWC Xtreme 160 Cone Skimmer.

20100317_2.jpg

In the next few days the tank will get it’s MP20, (MP10 to come once the Cube is tore down) BRS dual reactors, installation of Current 1/10 chiller….Vortech’s new battery back-up, which by the way powers all Vortech models, even the MP10! Wahoo!! At the moment I am also trying to find a Reefkeeper set up as well.

Then…the start of the Bonsai baby! The scape is really going to be inspired by Crazy4Acro’s scape, I have been on a major search for the proper LR with tons of coralline, and the correct shape. I have a full month or so to scape this tank how I want, so why rush.

So far I have about 40LBS of LR, with 30+ pound of Tonga branching and shelf eco. Not all in the tank now.

20100317_4.jpg

I have 120 lbs+ of Super reef grade sand as well. 3”+ DSB.

Piece of art going back over the tank

20100316_8.jpg

Tonight was awesome!

Check out the monster Skimmer in its first 5 minutes of action!

20100320_1.jpg

After about an hour of Skimming.. This is a beast!!!!

20100320_4.jpg

Bonsai Baby!!!

20100320_6.jpg

Left Side of the tank:

20100320_12.jpg

Left Side View:

20100320_15.jpg

Right Side:

20100320_10.jpg

Ride View: (Notice the new MP20?) :)

20100320_13.jpg

Left Top Shot:

20100320_17.jpg

I am in love with the rock work! I love the openness and the shelves created for SPS madness!

Watcha think??

On Tuesday I should be getting my RKL with goodies, and at that point hopefully install the 1/10 chiller, Vortech Back up, Reactors (looking for Calcium Reactor), and of course wire management will complete once all is installed.

Also think I will try and get a custom reservoir made for DI, and start looking at hang on fuges

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LivingStrong08

Thanks! I really am digging the scape.. May work more on the right side a bit, but I have to remember that I have a few small pieces of rock with tons of amazing ric's and my Clam. :)

Thanks so much.. I woke up this morning in awwww of the rock work.. Really Bonzai inspired. :)

wow!! going to be an awesome tank man!!!! congrats!!! i do love that rockwork!!!

LivingStrong08

Shan,

Thanks!! The rock work took some patients, and thinking… I really made sure and grabbed quality rockwork on this tank. No rock from tanks that are “getting out” of the hobby. This really helped with the design….and of course putty, and acrylic rods!

The only thing that I didn’t do that I really wanted to do was “peg” my rocks… I may do it to a few easier to access rocks. But if not it’s all good.

This next week I will be working on automation.

The rim is a removable. Timmy the tank is AWESOME. Really love the rock work you did. Finally glad to see you received it. :bowdown: I know you spent a pretty penny with alot more to go. Having a sump is nice isn't it?I expect many updates unlike my thread. Where did you get the rock? I think when it comes time one of the corners needs a HUGE toadstool.

Forgot to ask does it still come with the quiet one return pump? Is it actually quiet?How is the overflow noise?

The rim is a removable. Timmy the tank is AWESOME. Really love the rock work you did. Finally glad to see you received it. :bowdown: I know you spent a pretty penny with alot more to go. Having a sump is nice isn't it?I expect many updates unlike my thread. Where did you get the rock? I think when it comes time one of the corners needs a HUGE toadstool.

Forgot to ask does it still come with the quiet one return pump? Is it actually quiet?How is the overflow noise?

Great looking tank! I'll be watching :-)

LivingStrong08

Yup, the rim is completley removable. However I will need the glass cover due to the type of fish that will be in the tank. :)

Brad, word homie, it uses the quite tone, it is pretty quite I guess. I can't hear any of the tank operation, unless I open the doors.

nor_cal_nano
Yup, the rim is completley removable. However I will need the glass cover due to the type of fish that will be in the tank. :)

Brad, word homie, it uses the quite tone, it is pretty quite I guess. I can't hear any of the tank operation, unless I open the doors.

Sweet. Get that rim off asap. :P

Tank looks dope. GL

LivingStrong08

Lol!! You don't know how bad I want to take the rim off!! But two of my favorite fish in this hobbie are the BSJ and Helfrich's. (which I have had in my my BC29, open top, and both jumped, doh!) Being that I am going after a paired set of each.... I need that glass lid.. Now If I can get someone that can design me an invisashield type idea were the mounts are inside the tank and I can have a glass lid there, then that would be dope!

Thanks for the love..

B)

LivingStrong08

:D

Thanks, I am sure I will go home to a massive diatom growth which is fantastic news!!! :)

Soon the CUC will come... Not to soon of course!

nor_cal_nano
Lol!! You don't know how bad I want to take the rim off!! But two of my favorite fish in this hobbie are the BSJ and Helfrich's. (which I have had in my my BC29, open top, and both jumped, doh!) Being that I am going after a paired set of each.... I need that glass lid.. Now If I can get someone that can design me an invisashield type idea were the mounts are inside the tank and I can have a glass lid there, then that would be dope!

Thanks for the love..

B)

k. NOW GET THAT ####ING RIM OFF!

:lol:

Carlton'sTank

If you use the mesh covering, you could get some high powered magnets and attach some type of "L" shaped joints and have two magnets on each side that hold it on. It is easier to visualize it in my head rather than explain it. Very doable though...

LivingStrong08

Man the hate with the rim and glass continue!!

Here is my concearn, I had 1/4" mesh covering on my BC and my Helfrichs still jumped!!! WTF???

Man... Everyday, I think more and more to have non jumpers, but the Helfrichs and BSJ's are just pure Awesomeness!!

Carlton, I might get at you with your idea. :)

You could get acrylic dowels and cut them 1/2 " shorter then the height of the tank. Put them in the corners where the seams are and maybe put just a dot of silicon on the top to hold them in place (substrate should hold the bottom. Maybe?? just a quick thought...

LivingStrong08

I would think that the weight of the glass in the middle would break... 48 x 18 x 18

I am not sure that would be enough stability... but good thought.. hmmmmm.

Archived