Jae's 34Gal Solana

jae4571

FTS 10/24/2010

IMG00066-20101024-1035.jpg

FTS 10/25/2010 re-scaped

IMG00073-20101025-1005.jpg

Equipment:

34Gal Starphire Solana

Chamber 1: Stock Skimmer and 100 Watt Marineland Stealth Pro Shatter Proof Heater

Chamber 2: Filter Floss and Chemipure Elite

Chamber 3: Stock return pump and Tunze Osmolator

Koralia Nano Power Head

Current Nova Extreme Pro 108watt T5HO Lighting

After market moonlight kit

Fish:

1 mated pair of Percula Clown Fish

1 Royal Gramma

1 Sixline Wrasse

Invertebrates:

1 red/white cocobolo worm

2 purple/white feather duster

1 Derasa Blue Edged Clam

Coral:

1 purple/green Favia Brain Coral

1 colony of red/neon green Blastos

2 green stripe mushrooms

2 green Zebra stripped Mushroom

2 brown mushrooms

3 Metalic Blue Mushroom

1 green/blue Duncan (4 new heads)

2 purple/blue/green Candy Cane Coral

1 Green/Purple Florida Ricordea

1 Orange/Purple Florida Ricordea

1 redish/orange Florida Ricordea

1 rock containing 4 Green Florida Ricordea's

1 colony of green/blue radio active Zoas

1 colony of fruit loop Zoas

1 colony of Whammin Watermelon Zoas

1 colony of Zoas with buish/purple mouth and orange skirt

1 colony of Pink Lemonade Zoas

Zoa frag of 6 green/blue Radioactive Zoas placed on Tonga live rock

Zoa frag with a Metalic Blue Mushroom (containing Fruit Loop, Whammin Watermelon and Blue Ice

1 colony of green/brown button polyps

1 colony of Green Star Polyps

1 colony of long tenticle GSP

Frag of Metallic Green Star Polyps

3 Red Montipora Caps

1 Blue edged Montipora

1 Green Montipora

1 Purple/Grape Montipora

1 bluish/green polyped Birdsnest

1 Fire Fly Chalice (blue with neon green mouths)

1 Purple Plate Coral

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have had aquariums for most of my life to include a custom coffee table aquarium I built, a 10 gallon custom bookshelf unit, a 30 gallon turtle tank and approximately 3 freshwater ponds. About 6 months ago I got it in my head that I wanted to start a saltwater tank. You know nothing fancy just FOWLR. I purchased a AGA 20long and then I caught the reef bug.

The 20long was set up for about 4 months until I decided that I needed to upgrade my system.

I was leaning toward the Bio Cube 29. My wife especially liked the sleek look of the tank. While I was shopping I discovered a 22 gal system by CAD Lights. But after reading multiple reviews, threads and then seeeing one in person I decided not to buy it. While shopping my wife's eye was caught by the 34 gallon Solana. I told her I thought it was too expesive but with a little research I was able to find a brand new one for $450 including stand, starphire glass tank and Italian glass power compact pendant. (Note this would be the same price for a bio cube and stand) I did not want a MH since I have very young children.

Well the tank arrived and I set it up. The quality of the tank is superb! Unfortunately, upon inspecting the equipment in the back chambers I noticed that the protein skimmer was damaged. I contacted my rep and a new system was shipped out.

As far as lighting is concerned I was very disappointed in the hanging fixture. The italian Glass fixture looks cool but unfortunately it will not be enough for the application I am wanting. No biggie though I got the light for free! And have posted it on craigs list.

I decided to purchase a Nova Extreme Pro 20inch 108watt T5HO fixture.

Here's an empty tank shot

DSC04454.jpg

So my new tank came in on Thursday, 03/04/2010. I unpacked it and everything looked perfect! On Sunday, 03/07/2010, I filled the tank up with water and added my brand new live argonite sand. I also added 3 new pieces of base rock.

IMG00225-20100307-1247.jpg

Today the water looks super clear. I also picked up a Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 108 watt lighting fixture for $206!!!! Below are some pics:

DSC04495.jpg

Dusk/Dawn 2 Actinic only

DSC04497.jpg

All lights on

DSC04500.jpg

So I moved everything over to the Solana from the 20long on Sat (03/13/2010) I drained 18 gallons out of the solana and filled it up with the water from my 20long. The move went off with out a hitch. All parameters are sitting perfect right now so we will have to see. Basically the Solana contains everything from my 20 with the exception of the sand. I did by live sand however. Heres a FTS after the move:

IMG00236-20100314-1316.jpg

So it's been 3 days so far and here are my parameters:

NO3-0ppm

NO2-0ppm

KH-300ppm

pH-7.8

Calcium-400ppm

All of my corals are opening up beautifully and the clown fish are so happy to be in there new home. I'm going to keep testing and let everything settle in for a few weeks before I add anything else.

Tonight I also added a aftermarket custom 4 LED moonlight kit to my Nova Extreme Pro Heres a pick with the moon lights on. I still have to adjust the angle on the left side a bit.

DSC04539.jpg

what are you using for the moonlights? I am switching over to the same fixture and looking for a good moonlight for mine

what are you using for the moonlights? I am switching over to the same fixture and looking for a good moonlight for mine

I went on Ebay and got a set of 4 LED waterproof fountain/aquarium moonlights for about $10 including shipping and handeling. The one I got has four individual LED's and I placed them on the four corners of the reflector. The guy I got them from sells all types of LED aquarium moonlight kits. Heres the link to his Ebay Store

• 2 weeks later...

So it's two weeks into the move. A diatom bloom came and went. My parameters have held stable and I am still at 0ppm No2 and No3. I performed a 5 gallon water change today and added the chemi pure elite. The tank is crystal clear and looks beautiful!

I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I transfer anything else in. I'm contemplating adding a firefish and red banded high fin gobey in the future. Any other stocking suggestions?

• 1 month later...

So today I purchased a Tang for the Solana. Well it's actually a Tangaroa Shrimp Goby ($20)

DSC04744.jpg

Tangaroa Shrimp Goby Info

I am also contemplating adding a purple firefish. Everything is going well with the tank. I am so glad that I decided on the Solana.

Here's a front tank shot from today 05/15/2010

DSC04748.jpg

I will post more when I add.

• 1 month later...

So I guess its time for an update. I got a bunch of new stuff today for my birthday to include 2 colony's of Zoa's, a colony of long tenticle GSP, 1 blue mushroom, 1 green stripe mushroom, 1 green/blue Duncan, and a light blue/black featherduster.

Everything is in the tank and looking beautiful! I will take pictures in the morning once the lights go on and eveything has had a chance to open up nicely.

Some sadness hit the tank last month the tangaroa shrimp goby died and my fire shrimp died. I've heard that shrimp don't have the best life span. I had him about 4 months though and he always seemed to be fine. All parameters were fine and have been in check. I think it just may have been his time to go. :(

Im contemplating adding a torch coral or frogspawn in the next few weeks. Any preference or suggestions on where to put him? Always open to constructive critisism.

• 1 month later...

So I purchased a purple plate coral from my LFS for $39.99. I am contemplating adding some more corals and possibly redoing the aquascape. Most everything in my tank is thriving! I have had significant growth with my monti (probably around and inch!) and favia brain (4 new heads!). Unfortunately I think something is wrong with my zoas. Two colonies have receeded but one colony is very large and looking great! I have noticed some pods picking at the receeded colonies a night. Any thoughts would be welcomed!

Here are some pics!

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment3.jpg

Today (08/24/2010) I purchased 2 more corals: a blue edged motipora and a green montipora. Pictures to follow. I also did a 5 gallon water change. The purple plate coral is looking great. I am currently feeding it mysis shrimp twice a week and will eventually back it down to once a week/once every other week. I have been contemplating purchasing some more duncans and then some frogspawn. Any other suggestions on different types of corals?

Green Montipora:

82910-3.jpg

So I mounted my new blue ridge montipora frag today and remounted my red montipora. I used a magnetic kit so they could be mounted on the back wall of the overflow and easly be moved/adjusted as needed. I think it looks really cool!

The idea came to me when looking at the magnetic frag racks. While searching online I discovered a product called mag-frags. I later went to my LFS but could not find the product I saw online. Instead I used a magnetic product meant to replace the suction cups on your aquarium heater. It was $6 and worked like a charm!

I also bought a new orange/purple FL Ricordea today. I am contemplating possibly purchasing a chalice later this week or next. I have also been thinkgin about making an Acan garden on the front sandbed.

I will post pics tomorrow when the lights turn on. Make sure to tell me what you think.

82910-4.jpg

82910-1.jpg

FTS 08-29-2010

82910-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So i had been thinking about purchasing the trim kit for my solana but it is on back order everywhere I looked. So instead of paying the outragous price current wanted for it I decided to build my own. I also had the glass window of the stand door sand blasted. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.

rim2.jpg

rim1.jpg

The cap molding was $1.07/linear foot

Jacobbean stain $4.97

polyurethane $4.97

Total coast was around $20 with tax

Its also getting to be about time to look into replacing my bulbs. I have the nova extreme pro (6x18watt bulbs). I looked on currents website and they offer three(3) types of truelumen T5HO bulbs: a 12,000k power white, 420nm (purple) actinic and 460nm (blue) actinic. Any suggestions on what combination I should use? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So i got motivated and was sick and tired of losing storage space in my stand due to the powerstrip and surplus wires laying around. I decided to mount the power supply behid the drawr of the stock Current Stand. Here are some pictures witht the drawer removed and with it back in place. I still need to mount the secondary timer so its up and out of the way but youll get the idea.

Drawer removed:

stand1.jpg

Drawer in place:

stand2.jpg

And heres a top down shot of the tank:

topdown.jpg

Everything is doind well with the tank. I am thinking aout adding some live rock to enclose/hide the lock line for the pump. I have also been contemplating adding an acan garden and possibly an open brain. Any other suggestions on stocking options? I was thinking about trying an order from Mr Coral. Any feed back on them? Thanks in advance!

Looks really good. Did you find any problems getting the power strip to fit behind the drawer once you plugged the cords in? That's a great idea. I was planning to add strips on the sides for mine, but your idea might work better once I determine how many cords I'll have. Thanks.

So i got motivated and was sick and tired of losing storage space in my stand due to the powerstrip and surplus wires laying around. I decided to mount the power supply behid the drawr of the stock Current Stand. Here are some pictures witht the drawer removed and with it back in place. I still need to mount the secondary timer so its up and out of the way but youll get the idea.

Drawer removed:

stand1.jpg

Drawer in place:

stand2.jpg

And heres a top down shot of the tank:

topdown.jpg

Everything is doind well with the tank. I am thinking aout adding some live rock to enclose/hide the lock line for the pump. I have also been contemplating adding an acan garden and possibly an open brain. Any other suggestions on stocking options? I was thinking about trying an order from Mr Coral. Any feed back on them? Thanks in advance!

No I have plenty of room to close the drawer. The main reason I decided to mount this here is because there is the 1x4 that is mounted on the back of the stand for support and used to hang the light trees. I didnt think the false backing would be sturdy enough to hold the strip alone. The astehtics was just an added bonus!

So I just recently got a piece of frogspawn. Its currently splitting into 3 heads and I only paid $20 so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I still haven't decided where I'm going to put it yet so its just ont the sand bed. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Its more fluorescent in person

frogspawn2.jpg

I just thought this was a cool shot of the tank. (sorry the glass needs to be cleaned)

frogspawn1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so here are some new additions to the Solana this week:

Purple Montipora and Fire Fly Chalice:

IMG00045-20101015-1210.jpg

I think these are possibly "Bam Bams"...?

IMG00046-20101015-1211.jpg

Macro Algae (red grape calerpa):

IMG00033-20101010-1333.jpg

My frogspawn looks like it has tripled in size over the past week. I noted once I got the frag home that it was splitting into three heads. It is looking amazing! Also my duncan has what looks like three new heads appearing around the base of the main head. Not bad for $5....

IMG00047-20101015-1212.jpg

On to other news...I have always purchase my water from a good friend of mine that owned a LFS. Unfortunately due to the economy he was forced to close. Subsequently, I have been purchasing water from another vendor. Since that time I have had nuisance algae appear in the tank and am pissed to say the least. I have had an RO unit located under my sink from when we purchased the house but just never bought any new filters. I have since added a third chamber for a DI cartridge and just received all brand new filters for my ro/di unit. I also purchased some ESV B-Ionic Seawater mix and will begin making my own water and will hopefully resolve these issues.

In regards to the nuisance algae I have found 4 spawns of green bulble algae. I was planning on siphoning them off during my next water change. I have also found a dime size patch of GHA. It is not long enough to pull out. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to remove it?

My next addition to the tank is going to be an ATO unit. I would love to purchase a Tunze Osmolator but can't bring myself to fork out $200. I have been looking at autotopoff.com. Does anyone have any suggestions or other thoughts on an ATO?

Jae,

Your tank looks great! I just picked up the same system and am looking forward to seeing yours continue to flourish. I didn't get the light fixture with mine with the intent on getting into LED however the fixture you have is appealing from a cost standpoint. Are you happy with it? Your tank seems to like it. Also, where did you put your heater in the rear chambers? I've been wondering where to put it. Note that I have not added h20 to the tank yet. I'm waiting on my RO/DI system to show up and then will add sand, LR, and SW. Also looking at the ATO that d'Espresso noted. Seems like a hell of a deal.

My top off costs less than $15, it consists of a aqualifter pump, a medical iv drip line, and a used salt bucket w/top.

P1010950.jpg

The device drips .10ml; <> 1 drip per ~2sec= 1 gal hint: its a used veterinary supply

I run it 24/7. The rubber band is a stop keeping the end of the vinyl off the bottom (I top off with lime water). to weight the line I use a pvc cap from an old standpipe. I have a mod to make as a level indicator that for now is a very light line with a float on one end and a feather on the other.

D- what type of pump are you using....? The one they sell on sight for $8.50?

Creefer- Thanks so much for the kind words! I am very happy with the Nova Extreme Pro from a cost stand point. My corals also do very well under it I think I can probably keep about anything. (The montipora I have is growing like a champ and has probably doubled in size within 5 months.) The reasonm I selected this fixture is because i didn't want any over hang from the tank. The only down fall for the NEP is replacement bulbs. No one makes them except for current. I have an order coming for some new bulbs that are 12,000k so I am interested to see how they will work out. The only other option for the bulbs is with UVL but they are 30watt and you have to change out the ballasts through Nanotunnners. As far as the heater I have it located where current suggested in the first chamber between the skimmer and the false wall for the chambers to the display. Heres a pic:

IMG00061-20101018-1804.jpg

Archived