SaltCritters.com

Roxy's Jellyfish Tank

rockhead01

Thought I'd share...

A little info. They are upside down jellies (6 total), but I also have three purple spotted lagoon jellies that occupy the mid-water of the tank now. Updated tank pics will be posted shortly.

I've had them 4 months, and loved every minute of it. They are a LOT of work though. 20-25% water changes 1-2 times a week. Daily feeding of 1,000ml of live, selco enriched brine shrimp. Diatoms are always a problem because of the constant nutrients from daily feedings and intense lighting, so I use my mag float faithfully. They do like some trace amounts of ammonia, but less than 20ppm of nitrates. Water temp around 78-80 degrees.

My current set up consists of a Solana stand with a 25 gallon frameless Mr. Aqua tank. For lighting, I use the Solana 150w MH; pendant at 14,000k for 12on/12off.

I use a subcurrent 160 gph internal trickle filter, which gives them the very low flow that they thrive in. I have to change the sponge daily.

Enjoy!

Jellies Video

IMG_46230.jpg

IMG_45680.jpg

IMG_45740.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

jelly3.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice.... just 1L of brine shrimp a day seems absolutely insane. Have you ever tried a larger food, perhaps live mysis or something, that you could feed less of?

Also is the MH lamp only for the clam or do the jellies need it too?

The jellies need the MH lighting too!

Let me better explain the amount of brine shrimp. 1 liter of water with 1 tablespoon of eggs. Hatched they cover the bottom of a coffee filter by about a 1/4". Not a liter of shrimp strained!! LOL That would be horrendous!! I do feed them a bit bigger stuff sometimes. I make a krill & seafood puree that I target feed, but not very ofter becuase it makes such a huge mess. Cleaning the tank after that is a nightmare!

The clam & jellies have been together for about 3 months now. I think early on that the clam was stung, but he only pulled in a piece of his mantle where he was touched for a bit and then it was business as usual. Now he hardly ever recedes when they bump him or cast a shadow. They do great together!

Very cool. I would love to do a shallow, bare-bottom tank for these guys. I didn't know they need supplemental live brine besides light, but I'm glad it's baby brine shrimp rather than adult.

Zook -

I am think of going bare-bottom on this tank. I think it will be easier to maintain. I'm also thinking of adding mangroves and a few more clams. I've always wanted a clam bed.

Your tank is stunning! Glass or acrylic?

When I was taking care of these guys at the aquarium I was target feeding artemia twice a day.

I know these guys should be fed twice, maybe even three times daily, but I've yet to figure out a way to auto-feed them or have the time in the morning to feed them. I'd love any suggestions/information you might have. I want to give them everything I can to make them happy and healthy. I do target feed them though.

At which aquarium do you work?

Is that some kind of gorgonian coral in the back?

Also what kind of snails are those?

That is a deepwater yellow gorgonian. He did not do very well because the flow was to low so I had to move him into my mantis tank. The snails are good o'l turbo snails. I don't keep them in there either any more. The jellies were landing on the points to much and I was afraid it woud damage their bells.

I was a volunteer at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ for a while. I was working with the jellyfish bioligist, helping her take care of all the jellies. They breed all their own jellies there. It was really a unique experience and hopefully I will be able to get back to volunteering again soon.

I don’t have any other sugestions for you, since you have all the bases covered. As you said, lighing and flow is important. I’ve seen what happens to them if they do not get enough light (they turn a blue-grey).

I have thought about doing a jelly tank, but I don’t think the wife would like that too much. I hear enough about the one tank I have.

Your tank looks great, keep up the good work!

I was a volunteer at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ for a while. I was working with the jellyfish bioligist, helping her take care of all the jellies. They breed all their own jellies there. It was really a unique experience and hopefully I will be able to get back to volunteering again soon.

I don’t have any other sugestions for you, since you have all the bases covered. As you said, lighing and flow is important. I’ve seen what happens to them if they do not get enough light (they turn a blue-grey).

I have thought about doing a jelly tank, but I don’t think the wife would like that too much. I hear enough about the one tank I have.

Your tank looks great, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
rockhead01
apparently these guys dont need rounded corners? never saw upside down jellies execpt for in the divers den! very unique tank!

Thanks!

Rounded corners are not needed, because the jellies stay on the bottom and don't need a circular flow to suspend them in mid water.

andrewguilfoy

this is beyond the COOLEST concept i've ever seen.. I love it! checked your video out, I love this kind of stuff. how are they handling-wise? do they sting at all?

rockhead01
this is beyond the COOLEST concept i've ever seen.. I love it! checked your video out, I love this kind of stuff. how are they handling-wise? do they sting at all?

Thanks!! The are pretty freaking sweet! I love them too! No stings really that I can feel. My anemones give more of a bite!

Archived