Cultivated Reef

Rob's 20 High

AFRobert568

AFRobert568

So I have a test on Monday and I’m looking for ways to avoid studying, so I figured this is something I need to do. After a Bio Cube 8 was given to me I thought it would only be a couple of bucks to get a beautiful tank. Well I was wrong and after a couple hundred dollars later in just getting stuff to start the tank I thought I should get a bigger tank. The wife would only let me get a 20 gal because anything larger wouldn’t fit her decor. Looking back I should have just said no to that tank because I’m now addicted to this hobby. I can’t pass by a new fish store with out going in to look at corals.

Now to the tank.

Equipment:

Wave point 4X24 T-5

AC 50 with Chemi pure Elite it kept pushing out the top

CPR bacpac skimmer

K-1 additional flow

E-100 heater & 25W stealth heater for the winter months

Livestock:

20lbs live rock

15 lbs of sand

2 Occ. Clown Fish

6 line wrasse

Cleaner shrimp

Crocea clam

Snails

Coral

Frogspawn (bleached from my other tank)

Candy cane (bleached from my other tank)

Mushroom

Orange Ric

Green Ric

Zoa's :

Fire and ice

Radioactive dragon eyes

Sexual chocolate (I named them that and I don’t know if that exist already, so don’t sue me or call me out)

Kryptonite

Birdsnest:

Bird of paradise

Green birdsnest

Sold as tricolor, but coloring up as a possiable Ponape Birdsnest

Montipora:

Orange Cap

Setosa

Confusa

Strawberry field

Green Cyphastrea

Blastomussa

Duncan

Acan X 2 (I don't the names)

P1060395.jpg

AFRobert568

Here is the tank during its cycle, but there was nothing going on, so the guys at my LFS said throw my fish in there. As you can see new lights + fish = crazy algae outbreak.

This was actually on a good day shortly after a cleaning.

post-48899-1267910729_thumb.jpg

post-48899-1267910820_thumb.jpg

AFRobert568

A few weeks later here it is today.

The tequila bottle holds the top on the AC 50 because the pressure wants to push the chemi-pure up. It has happened before and I ended up with a wet floor.

post-48899-1267911222_thumb.jpg

post-48899-1267911233_thumb.jpg

AFRobert568

Thanks for the complements on the tank. I know if it gets bumped I will never get it like that again. The coral is a bleached frogspawn. I will post pictures. I was abused from flatworms.

At first I noticed the flatworms and I thought cool hitchhikers, but then I noticed them treating my frogspawn like an 80's rock bands did to hotel rooms. Here are the pics of the worms on my FS and it after FWE dip.

post-48899-1267913986_thumb.jpg

post-48899-1267913995_thumb.jpg

AFRobert568

Thanks, as far as any future stocking plans I plan to get a monti cap and a birds nest, but I don’t think any more fish. Maybe a six line for any future flat worms, but that will definitely signify the end of any future fish purchases.

AFRobert568

I added some new corals to my tank, but the birdsnest it didn’t like it at the top of the tank and began to bleach. I moved it to the bottom because the bleaching was only occurring on the horizontal surfaces, so I thought I maybe needed to acclimate it to my lighting. The monti cap is doing well. Two pieces broke off in transit, so I glued them to some frag plugs I had laying around. Do you think they will make it or is there additional steps required to make frags. i.e. lugols dip or things like that.

I have oyster feast already, do you think feeding the birdsnest will bring some color back? Thanks Rob

post-48899-1268436682_thumb.jpg

AFRobert568

Picked up some new frags and I learned a valuable lesson today. Always bring plenty of extra cash. I was expecting to purchase $20 worth of corals then I decided to get a different frag that I couldn’t pass up. Next thing I know I’m a dollar short and I’m tearing up my car to find enough change. The seller kindly passed on the change and now I feel like a tool. I hope he doesn’t hold that against me because I want to buy more of his corals still.

green cyphastrea

P1060196.jpg

Chalice

P1060195.jpg

AFRobert568

Thanks for the compliment. Well every thing is going slowly. I decided that I won’t buy anything until I see some in growth. I can’t fill my tank with frags, that’s too expensive, so I decided to have some growth then I will buy some more frags.

Oh yeah some of that algae is going down. It turns out I was going crazy with my vacuum, and I was disturbing my sand bed.

• 2 weeks later...
AFRobert568

I finally had some noticeable coral growth, so I can now go out and get some new corals. I picked up a montipora setosa, bird of paradise, and the guy threw in a small chunk of green bridsnest and some brownish zoas. The zoas are not the sexiest, but I may barter them for something else.

P1060223.jpg

Here is the new 6 line. He seems to be doing well.

6lines are awesome fish. I like your choice in coral as well. Though, it may not be a bad thing to frag crazy for a little bit. You don't want things growing in and take up real estate from new corals do ya? Makes perfect sense too me. ;)

6lines are awesome fish. I like your choice in coral as well. Though, it may not be a bad thing to frag crazy for a little bit. You don't want things growing in and take up real estate from new corals do ya? Makes perfect sense too me. ;)

This^

Welcome to the 20 high club. Good stuff.

AFRobert568

Here are the pics of the monti setosa. It broke as the guy was cutting it so he threw the little pieces in the container. I hope all three make it.

Main piece

P1060263.jpg

Secondary piece

P1060264.jpg

I hope this makes it

P1060271.jpg

• 1 month later...
bluenassarius

yo rob,

we doing a group buy from aquarium depot for tanks. lmk if you are looking to upgrade :)

AFRobert568

I attempted to send you a message, but it doesn’t show up in my sent message folder. I would keep attempting to send them to you, but you will have like 5 messages that all get shorter as I become lazy with each draft.

AFRobert568

So I just joined a reef club and since then I have been getting plenty of corals from my meetings that I don’t have to go to the stores any more. Here are the new winnings. I was the big winner. Last time they had a Bazooka Joe chalice, but this time it was a clam.

Blasto

P1060357.jpg

Acan

P1060387.jpg

Clam

P1060377.jpg

Archived