Pod Your Reef

Crombastic Biocube 29 HQI

crombastic

Finally got the Biocube in (for the second time after the first one that came in had a crack in the glass) as well as the rocks and was able to light this wet box o rocks up.

So far I have ~40 lbs of base rock and 5 lbs of live rock. The base rock came from Reef Cleaners and live rock from a LFS. In addition to that is 40lbs of Fiji Pink live sand and, of course, water, which right now is at roughly 1.023.

So far, I really like the overall look and feel of the tank. Oceanic had some valiant, yet not very user friendly, ideas about filtration. The first chamber is reserved for their skimmer, which, I can attest to so far, is nothing more than a glorified airstone that doesn't actually skim anything (i put it on my 12g nanocube to see how and if it works). The second chamber is set up to make a fuge, with the open back window to attach a light over. So far, in that chamber there is rock rubble (broken bits of base rock that will, hopefully, be 'live' in a few weeks). As soon as the tank cycles and I figure out a light to use, it will then be filled with cheato. One good part about this is that they elevated a plastic grill to put the rock on so it doesn't sit directly on the bottom. The bad part about this chamber is the 'mechanical' filtration, which is an attempt at an all-in-one activated carbon and filter pad combo. Unfortunately, the pad doesn't sit tightly in the chamber, so the water really flows around it and very little water flows thru it. My next step is to figure out how to approach this. If I had a good skimmer, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Finally, in the third chamber is the return pump. Believe it or not, the factory pump isn't that bad, but I have no idea how long (or short) it will take for it to stop working.

I put the live sand and base rock in yesterday and live rock in today so the cycle should begin soon.

CIMG1823.jpg

Great looking tank. I like your aquascape but the only critic I would have on it is, it looks like some of the rocks towards the top are being supported by the glass. This could be a concern when you actually start putting live stock in there and they start moving the sand around and the LR starts to shift. But the tank looks great! I'm actually in the same boat as you and just got a new tank as well and posted a similar thread, http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228761

i agree with the scape criticism. I did put the rock in before the sand, so hopefully the sand helps support the rock. But, I am planning on tinkering with the top rocks before I put anything in it.

Still awaiting the start of the cycle. I did fix the rocks on the top, though it's temporary as I'll be switching rocks between the 12g.

Still awaiting start of cycle. Also, I'm tweaking with the temp. I'm getting 2 degree temp swings..between 79 - 81. I'd like to get this down, if not, eliminated all together.

Looking good, I would just make sure you have room for corals and I agree the top layer of rocks looks a bit concerning.

I plan on getting this system :) Would you say it's pretty solid so far? How's the heat from the light?

So far, it is solid. Sleek looking tank. I'm still ironing out some of the finer points, so I can't offer much of an experienced opinion other than the week I've had it. It seems when I have the light on, the temp hits between 81 and 82. Then drops back to wherever my heater is set.

Though I can say, dealing with the filter chamber will be a bit of a pain. The light fixture has to be removed to take of the fuge (middle) chamber. The other two can be dealt with by removing the plastic covers. The first chamber shouldn't require much maintenance since it only houses the skimmer (and also where I have the heater). The third (pump) chamber has been the biggest pain so far, when first putting the pump in there and moving it around (this was also done in 60 degree water and may have made the situation worse).

Tank is starting to smell like a fish tank, also some brown stuff on the sand and rocks (brown algae?). No Ammonia yet, though. Also, I'm finally getting the temperature straightened out. Usually 79.5 w/o lights on, then bumps up to just over 81 with the lights. Yesterday I placed a small fan to blow across the tank and under the light. That seemed to keep the temp from going over 80.5.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How's the tank goin'...? Any pics...?

Just finished it's cycle...I added a few CUC members and some a few soft corals....I'm gonna wait to put anything else in until I get back from vacation in late may.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Recent updates: Put a flame hawkfish in. Had a royal gramma that died and a wrasse that was eaten by a lobster I have since taken out. Recently just bought a bangali cardinal.

Also had a massive red slime algae outbreak and have been screwing with that for almost a month and a half now. Doing water changes, added some chemi pure elite and purigen.

Really I need a better skimmer, but don't know which will fit, given the layout of the rear chamber. Also need to add an MP 10.

Haven't put any SPS in yet until cyano is under control and I have better flow and filtration.

Also, put in a Phoenix 14K....it's awesome...should have done it to begin with.

• 9 months later...

post-41485-1308521043_thumb.jpg

A much needed update.

Recent changes...moved from biocube skimmer to Remora Nano - had trouble getting it to balance on the back - now to aquaticlife 115. Bought Aquaticlife 115, which I would recommend to anyone with a 29g biocube. May have to cut the top plastic panel to get it to fit. Depends on how low or high you have it.

Re-scaped multiple times. Wanted to find a 'cascading' look for the rocks while also allowing room on the sides to clean and while also spacing them so water could move adequately about them.

Livestock now is Flamehawkfish, Firefish, and Cardinal. Have quite a few corals...mostly softies I bought as frags and have grown a bit. Just put my first SPS's in. Monti Cap and something else....I don't know the name and probably will never be able to remember them. I think it's a Monti, but not the caps part. The monti cap has actually grown nicely since putting it in. Wasn't sure how my first foray into SPS was going to work out.

Archived