inTank Media Baskets

Porksoda's 10g build!

porksoda

Well I have been on here for a while but I have not made a build thread. I just never really had time.

Well I have always liked saltwater tanks since I was younger and went to an aquarium in ABQ, NM. That was the first Saltwater tank I have ever seen. Where I live (Clovis, NM) it is pretty secluded from large bodies of water and aquariums. Everyone I knew that had an aquarium only had a freshwater. My dad put together a 10 gallon freshwater when I was young and I hated it! lol. Those fish are just so dirty. So one year for Christmas my brother purchased my dad a 55 gallon saltwater set-up. He could never maintain it so he took the tank down. So now its a freshwater again. So finally I decided with my girlfriend that we want to make a nano. I knew it was going to be a little tougher then a larger tank but we gotta love a challenge. I started to do some searching for some forums on nano tanks. I first found reefcentral and I hate it because no one is really much help there. When questions are asked people will jump in and say search and that's all. I hated it. I read a post where someone was talking about nano-reef.com so I said what the heck I'll give it a try. Turns out it was the most awesome saltwater tank forum on the internet. Everyone is very helpful on this forum. Thats why I am always on here now lol.

Equipment:

Standard 10g AGA (Kyrlon Fusion painted, back and bottom)

Aqua-Tech 10-20 HOB Filter

Odyssea/AquaTraders 2x65W Power Compact Light

Visi-Temp 200W heater

Koralina 1 Powerhead

Mag-Float glass cleaner

Lowes Soap Dish (intank fuge)

Morning Glory Polyfiber fill for HOB filter

Stick on thermometer

API test kits

Livestock:

Live Rock 10LB

Live Sand 10LB

Chaeto

Red Gracilaria

4 Red Mangroves

Fish:

1 Yellow tailed Damsel

Inverts:

50 Dwarf Ceriths

5 Florida Ceriths

8 Nassarius Vibex

4 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)

15 Zig Zag Periwinkles

3 Blue leg hermits

3 Red leg hermits

1 Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Coral:

Watermelon Zoa

Green Star Polyp's

2 Unknown mushroom

Green Clove Polyp's

Pumping Xenia

Pink lemonade Zoa

Blue Paly

Ok well here are the pictures finally:

311882313733_0_0.jpg

Fresh paint:

311882568197_0_0.jpg

P1141443.jpg

Sand:

P1141444.jpg

Adding Salt water:

P1141449.jpg

Let sand settle:

P1141453.jpg

Live Rock added:

P1151459.jpg

Odyssea Light installed:

P1191463.jpg

P1191466.jpg

P1191473.jpg

P1191470.jpg

Ill post up more recent pictures soon.

More pictures in Post #6!

Post #10

Coralife legs on odyssea fixture!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol you want that thing warm and clean dont you?

Visi-Temp 200W heater

Inverts:

50 Dwarf Ceriths

5 Florida Ceriths

8 Nassarius Vibex

4 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)

15 Zig Zag Periwinkles

3 Blue leg hermits

3 Red leg hermits

Lol you want that thing warm and clean dont you?

Well i can set it at 72 degree's and it will keep the tank at 78 degree. When the light is on the the temp goes up to 80 degree's. As for the CUC thats what John from reef cleaner suggested. All the CUC has been doing good. Nothing has died "yet" lol.

Newer FTS (with CUC and mangroves/micro algae):

P2191549.jpg

P2141533.jpg

watermelon zoa:

P2191542.jpg

P2241581.jpg

P2241579.jpg

New coral additions and soapdish mod:

P2281610.jpg

soapdish mod under HOB filter:

P2281609.jpg

P2281608.jpg

Zoa and green star polyps:

P2281606.jpg

P2281604.jpg

P2281605.jpg

New Unknown Mushroom:

P2281603.jpg

New green clove polyps:

P2281602.jpg

More pictures coming soon! lol

Thanks for looking at my pictures everyone!

If you have any suggestions let me know. Thanks,

Pablo U

Looking good! I like the arch as well, do you plan on adding more LR? And what type of sand did you use? Keep us posted with pics!

Looking good! I like the arch as well, do you plan on adding more LR? And what type of sand did you use? Keep us posted with pics!

I do plan on adding more LR. I am not entirely sure what I want to do though. I used CaribSea Arag-Alive sand. It's all my LFS had so I said why not. lol. I like the texture of the sand. Its not to fine but not to coarse.

Ill get more pictures soon! :)

Looking great so far. I really like how you set your LR like an arch. Keep us posted with pics.

Thanks you! It took forever to find 3 pieces of LR at my LFS to fit perfectly to make that arch. lol.

I need to find away to secure it better.

Any ideas? I was thinking super glue like frags?

good start.

bzphotog

Thanks alot! I appreciate it!

Nice build.

There is aquarium putty that you can use to secure the live rock together. Do a search for it on google and see what you find. I think it is purple and then cures white or something, but many people use it.

Well today my girlfriend and I went to a LFS and got 2 new things!

Cleaner shrimp:

P3011613.jpg

P3011621.jpg

And

Unknown Anemone ( The worker said its a mini "Marron" Anemone) I have never heard of it. Nor can I find any thing about that. It was only $10. I was thinking it is a condy anemone but This one is so small I dont think its one. Any help will be appreciated! :

P3011611.jpg

P3011638.jpg

P3011635.jpg

P3011634.jpg

Here is a cool picture I took with a blue leg and mushroom:

P3011631.jpg

FTS with cleaner shrimp and anemone:

P3011624.jpg

nice looking tank are you going to let the mangrove grow out in there?

Yes thats the plan.

I am thinking of moving all the mangroves to the left corner but I am not entirely sure yet.

how old's the tank? and the PCs may not be enough for the nem :(

The tanks has been set since December.

I was thinking it may not be enough light either, but I'll see how well it will do and if it does bad I'll sell it or something. lol

The tanks has been set since December.

I was thinking it may not be enough light either, but I'll see how well it will do and if it does bad I'll sell it or something. lol

ya the nice thing is that you can trade the nem back. if its a problem. I believe that the white ones are the hardest to keep though im not 100% on this. The white nems are definately my fave coral.

The white nem looks good! Hope it does alright, and thanks for the response, I like the look of the sand so I think I may go with that for my set up.

The white nem looks good! Hope it does alright, and thanks for the response, I like the look of the sand so I think I may go with that for my set up.

Thanks! I hope is gets better too.

Your welcome! Like I said the sand it a good size. It will settle fairly fast.

Does your Koralia have Chaeto growing in it? good idea for an in tank fuge. haha

No I actually have some floating around when I had it behind my LR. Now if you look behind my LR in the last FTS I have a new "Soap-dish mod" right below the HOB filter.

Better cover that Korallia and any intake to the filter (nylon stocking?). Don't want the nem to get minced!!

Actuall that is the plan so far. I have been hearing about them getting caught in power heads, but from what I understand is they move around because they are looking for better flow and light. Apparently once they find where they like it they will burrow its foot where it wants to be. It has moved around a little bit and burrowed it's foot where it is in the pictures so hopefully it will not move around lol. Maybe it found its new home haha.

New pictures I took today. I just feed it some Tilapia from the deli area at my local Albertsons. Only thing decent I can feed it for now until my LFS gets some silversides in.

Still what everyone thinks it is?

Flash:

2010-03-03190842.jpg

2010-03-03190850.jpg

No flash:

2010-03-03190912.jpg

2010-03-03190920.jpg

Remind me of my 10g budget build when I had it... lol.

Very nice tank, that scape is really neat! I hope that anemone does well, it looks cool.

Looking forward to more pics!

Archived