Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 58G reef!

Dirtbikerider987

Dirtbikerider987

Hello everyone! I have been reading the forums here at Nanoreef for a while now but haven't been too active in posting myself. :mellow: Soo I thought I would change that and start a thread for my tank. First a little about myself! My name is Brad, I am 21 soon to be 22 and have been keeping and obsessing over reef tanks for about 7 years now. I started with a 55 gallon reef that I had for quite some time. My 55 gallon was really a learning experience and with it i learned a great deal about keeping reef tanks. I made many mistakes but that tank was a great learning experience. I sold my 55 gallon a few years back and took a break from having a reef for about a year until about 8 months ago when I was in a local fish store and got the urge to start a new reef. I opted for a 29 Biocube to get started with. I had this tank for about 5 months before I wanted something bigger! So I started cruising craigslist in search of a new tank. I ended up finding a very old 58 gallon tank and stand that ended up costing me nothing. I began cleaning up and painted the stand and trim of the tank. It has turned out that this tank has been a big learning experience for me also as I really had to rework this tank from the ground up. I have never been much of a DIY person but that didnt stop me from building everything myself. I drilled my tank, created my own sump, plumbed everything, etc. Overall, I am proud of my creation but have had a few bumps along the way. OK! now to the tank!

My tank is a 58 gallon oceanic tank resurrected from very poor condition. The "made on stamp" on the bottom of the tank says 08-17-89 :lol: This tank is a transfer from my 29 Biocube setup.

Equipment:

Lighting: currently has a 250w metal halide fixture (looking for a T-5 fixture)

Sump: DIY 30 gallon sump

Pumps: Koralia 2, Koralia nano, Via aqua 3600

Protein skimmer: ASM G1

Heater: 250w Via aqua titanium heater

Livestock:

Sixline Wrasse

yellow tailed blue damsel

mystery rabbitfish

bicolor blenny

peppermint shrimp

various hermits

various snails

Coral:

frogspawn

red acans

various Zoas

Pink birds nest

purple acro

green acro

green slimmer

lots of xenia

tube worm

purple monti

orange monti cap

several torch corals

hydros

pineapple coral

mystery sps? (maybe someone can help with that)

Red Milli

ORA green leather

I believe thats it! i think.. lol

Pictures!.. (lots!)

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Questions!? Comments!?

Dirtbikerider987

Thanks! I actually wasn't originally going yo do it that way but then decided to at the last second standing there with my glass cutting drill in hand. Lol

LOVE it same tank as mine, I had a scribbled rabbitfish for a while yours must be a little nicer than mine, I'm gessint they ? is the stylo in the second to top pic, might be a pocillopora but looks like stylophora to me. I would just add t5s to the halide. Well really I would just get a bigger halide give as that is what I did. T5s may have issues going that deep I really like them for supplemental lighting though.

Dirtbikerider987

Lol I honestly had no idea what kind of rabbit fish he was :-p I bought him because he had been sitting in a 20 gallon tank at the LFS for like 4 months. I felt really bad for him so I bought him and brought him home. I have discovered he is a complete fatty.. He will eat and eat if u let him. Lol honestly, I haven't got a clue what the pink spa frag is. I bought a bunch of frags from a local guy and he threw that in. As far as lighting is concerned I am looking into 6 bulb t5 or I may just leave it as is. Who knows lol

I LOVE YOUR TANK :wub:

You have very healthy looking corals. and Like your size tank too, lots of possiblities.

I love that bue sps is the 11th pic, what is it.

I have tried a few times to get me a coco worm like yours, but everytime i wentr they were out :(

Kudos on how you have your rockwork being in the center. Get current all the way around, excellent.

You can always send me over some of your xenia, that cluster is sick lol

Dirtbikerider987
I LOVE YOUR TANK :wub:

You have very healthy looking corals. and Like your size tank too, lots of possiblities.

I love that bue sps is the 11th pic, what is it.

I have tried a few times to get me a coco worm like yours, but everytime i wentr they were out :(

Kudos on how you have your rockwork being in the center. Get current all the way around, excellent.

You can always send me over some of your xenia, that cluster is sick lol

thanks! I am happy with the way it had turned out. :) the sps in the 11th pic is just a purple/blue Acro.

And actually I need to add another powerhead cause I have some dead spots. :/

• 1 month later...
Dirtbikerider987

tank update! I have got Dino algae realllly bad as well as what almost looks like hair algae but im pretty sure its not. :-( thing that sucks is that my parameters are all where they should be so im having difficulty pinning down the cause of the infestation. For now I am just continuing to maintain my tank like normal. On the other hand I have had some really good growth from all of my corals since last posted. I will post pictures later!

• 2 weeks later...
redkneecoral

thanks for posting that vid clip, i liked it. that one fish is huge, what kind is it. Looks like you have a good flow in your tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dirtbikerider987
how's going for you so far

Woo sorry I have been away from my tank thread for a while! Things are going pretty well.. Many things have grown A LOT since I originally posted.. I will be putting some new pics up with a higher resolution camera aaaaand a 720p video soon so u can all get a good look at everything, and see how much growth has occurred in 3 or 4 months.. Some of it is pretty amazing! Espsecially on some of my SPS. B)

Looking REAL sweet man, keep up the good work, I'll be keeping up with it. :)

Thank you! I'll be trying to post more on this thread now :)

thanks for posting that vid clip, i liked it. that one fish is huge, what kind is it. Looks like you have a good flow in your tank.

The big fish is a scribbled face rabbit fish. I have trained him to be hand fed.. That's right I can stick my hand in the tank with some pinched food in my fingers and he will swim right up and eat to his hearts content. It's pretty cool and I will try to get a video of it if I can.

Dirtbikerider987

Ok here is an updated video on youtube of the tank. This one is available in 720p HD. Also it should be noted that a few of my corals are kinda angry since i was in my tank messing around with things before I took the video. enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
Dirtbikerider987

here is a few new pics I took with my new camera! you will notice the tank has changed A LOT. Its all in preparation for the opening of my new business Midwest Reef Aquatics!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

redkneecoral

your tank looks so great

I really love that pink Birdie, would love a frag from that Beauty

Dirtbikerider987
your tank looks so great

I really love that pink Birdie, would love a frag from that Beauty

Thanks! :) ya that's my fav one. I will put some frags up in the future for sale. Keep an eye out! :-p

redkneecoral

thanks and most definately will keep an eye out for them. Hopefully my surgery will go well for me so i can get back to work and buy some corals lol

Archived