inTank Media Baskets

nano_keeper30

nano_keeper30

Baught it, dont know what it is, he is an attractive clam though..He is in my BC29 under 150 MH...

He usually has a bright faded blue outline all the way aroud his mantle....

Paid only $40 for him Im assuming that aint bad.

Just needed some help identifing it.

Thanks In Advance..

More Pics

nano_keeper30
Derasa.

You should probably know what you are buying before you buy it.

INB4 Rockfish.

I was told that it what a maxima ulta xXxX...I didnt think it was as why I was asking...

In northern wisconsin, if you see it and it is in good shape, you buy it or you are never going to see it again.

doesn't look anything like my dersasa. totally different color pattern . Derasa clams are more striped and less spotted. I'd guess maxima. if you're saying it's normally blue

+1 on the knowing what you're getting before you buy. regardless of where you live. how do you know you're equipped or willing to do what this specimen needs to keep it alive? -_-

nano_keeper30
doesn't look anything like my dersasa. totally different color pattern . Derasa clams are more striped and less spotted. I'd guess maxima. if you're saying it's normally blue

+1 on the knowing what you're getting before you buy. regardless of where you live. how do you know you're equipped or willing to do what this specimen needs to keep it alive? -_-

The very outside of his mantle is outined it blue, not the whole mantle. Pretent to take a marker and trace the outside of the meat witha blue line.

Also I have 4 tanks all capable of supporting a clam of some sort. Being told it was a maxima I put it in my Metal Halide tank in the sandbed with good circulation and perfect water quality.

I also have 2 small desera clams in my NC28 and the colors are nothing like this one and the pattern on the deseras are more strait than combed like on this one.

Im leaning towrds maxima but what kind is the question...this guy is about 3 1/2 inches.

The very outside of his mantle is outined it blue, not the whole mantle. Pretent to take a marker and trace the outside of the meat witha blue line.

Also I have 4 tanks all capable of supporting a clam of some sort. Being told it was a maxima I put it in my Metal Halide tank in the sandbed with good circulation and perfect water quality.

I also have 2 small desera clams in my NC28 and the colors are nothing like this one and the pattern on the deseras are more strait than combed like on this one.

Im leaning towrds maxima but what kind is the question...this guy is about 3 1/2 inches.

so sounds like you knew without question you could handle it :D not being an expert all I can say is it definitely not a derasa! :)

nano_keeper30
Maybe I was wrong. Could you get some top down pics? And maybe some side/bottom pics of it lol?

Here are the requested pics....Dont be scared, the open brain wont hurt you !!! lol hes just hungry

That's a squamosa clam

he'll top out at about 16 inches and EAT calcium as he grows

so check it before and after water changes to make sure your tank is maintaining the proper levels

NICE clam BTW!!!

clam1jpg.jpg

That's a squamosa clam

he'll top out at about 16 inches and EAT calcium as he grows

so check it before and after water changes to make sure your tank is maintaining the proper levels

NICE clam BTW!!!

clam1jpg.jpg

Ahhh yes Iv'e seen you on here before and knew you'd chime in soon enough with the right answer> I know who to go to in the future with clam ?s :D

nano_keeper30

yep, that pic you posted Rock is usually what he looks like with the blue. So I take it $40 wasnt a bad price for him them ? Yeah I noticed that about the calcium, pretty steady decline. I got it under control with a 2 part every other day keeps levels at about 420-460ppm.

Any other advice on him ? He look placed ok ?

Thank You Very Much For The Help !!! Ever need anything just holla !!

that's what i'm here for.....and to be a douche according to some!!! :P:lol: :lol:

yep, that pic you posted Rock is usually what he looks like with the blue. So I take it $40 wasnt a bad price for him them ? Yeah I noticed that about the calcium, pretty steady decline. I got it under control with a 2 part every other day keeps levels at about 420-460ppm.

Any other advice on him ? He look placed ok ?

yea as he grows you may literally have to dose a 29 once a day

the placement is fine where he is....and a 150 watt MH is plenty of light

they are relatively easy to care for and DON'T grow as fast as the derasa clams do but still pull as much calcium as derasas so again......calcium and alkalinity are the big things to watch for

so dersasas use more calcium? MIne has grown quite a bit in only the 2 months I've had him. I usually try to target feed him. Is this necessary or does he get enough from light and water chemistry? sorry to hi jack the thread.

nano_keeper30

Amd just go figure I baught it from Drs. Foster and Smith Retail store in Rhinelander, WI

Someone sold me a $100-$120 clam for $40 :)

so dersasas use more calcium? MIne has grown quite a bit in only the 2 months I've had him. I usually try to target feed him. Is this necessary or does he get enough from light and water chemistry? sorry to hi jack the thread.

target feeding in clams is not required at all

I have 9 clams and don't give them anything except good light

Amd just go figure I baught it from Drs. Foster and Smith Retail store in Rhinelander, WI

Someone sold me a $100-$120 clam for $40 :)

40 bucks is a great deal for a squammi

he looks to be right around the 3 inch mark no??

Alright didn't know that! mine was real small when I got him so I thought he needed it. does it help at all or is it a complete waste of time?

nano_keeper30

40 bucks is a great deal for a squammi

he looks to be right around the 3 inch mark no??

He is about 3-3 1/2 actually no smaller than 3 for possitive

Alright didn't know that! mine was real small when I got him so I thought he needed it. does it help at all or is it a complete waste of time?

IMO it's really not needed UNLESS they're under 2 inches long and even then i'm really not convinced

they take in 98% of their energy from the zooxanthellae in the mantles

my smallest guy right now is about 1 and 3/4 inches right now and I haven't fed him once...

doing just fine and growing

IMO it's really not needed UNLESS they're under 2 inches long and even then i'm really not convinced

they take in 98% of their energy from the zooxanthellae in the mantles

my smallest guy right now is about 1 and 3/4 inches right now and I haven't fed him once...

doing just fine and growing

Sweet! My Derasa is also doing well. Coloring up nicely. Looks much better than when I got him! Thanks for the help!!

Sweet! My Derasa is also doing well. Coloring up nicely. Looks much better than when I got him! Thanks for the help!!

always glad to lend a hand

always glad to lend a hand

since no one else is helping with my other post. I see you have an MP40 I'm thinking of getting an mp 20 for my tank. hOwever it is a glass tank. On the mp website they say to check manufacture specs check if it is ok to make waves in your specific glass tank.Do you have any experience with this or know anyone who does? :huh:

Archived