ReefCleaners.org

FishTacos Solana must see new FTS

FishTacos

Ok, so I have been following NR for the past year, and finaly decided to post my own tank page. I have a Solana 34g thats been up and running for about 15 months. I bought the tank used from a LFS and got a great deal. I still consider myself new to this hobby. My goal is for a SPS tank, I have a few, but remain nervous about their long term ability to sruvive under my care. Wish me luck.

Specs:

Tank:Solana 34g

Stand: Solana

Protein skimmer: Tunze 9002

Return pump: Stock

Lighting: Sunpod 20" 250w with 6 RB XREs (upgraded from disco ball 2/10)

Circulation: 2 koralia nanos and a K2

Heater: 150W AquaClear

Filtration: chamber 1, protein skimmer; chamber 2, phosguard/chemipure, chamber 3, return pump

Lid: Coustom mesh lid (lost some jumpers)

Maintance:

Water Changes: Weekly 5g water change with DDH20 salt, RO/DI water

Feeding: Few pellets for fish nightly. 2 times weekly frozen brine shrimp

Dosing: brightwell 2 part (6cc each nightly)

Cooling: Azoo fans

Top off: autotoppoff.com

Fish/inverts:

Pair Black Ocellaris

Coral:

torch coral

Purple tip frogspawn

Purple mushrooms

Orange Ricordea

Eagles Eye Zoas

Red Montipora

Green Montipora with blue polyps

Neon Green Acopora

Blue Bottlebrush Acropora

soul searcher favia

nuclear dragons eyes

Nuclear green zoa

Maxima clam

Dreasa clam

Near future plans:

MP10

Media reactor

eventually pumps for dosing.

post-50902-1266790065_thumb.jpg

post-50902-1266790132_thumb.jpg

post-50902-1266790493_thumb.jpg

post-50902-1266790808_thumb.jpg

post-50902-1266790855_thumb.jpg

Not bad. A clam would really look cool in there.

How long have you have that diamond goby? How is it doing in there?

got the goby about a month ago, he is doing well. My only concern is that when I first got him he would make the water cloudy with all his digging, but that is calming down with time. Previously had a red spot blenny to stir the sand but he jumped. IMO having a net top is the way to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well to update my tank, livestock is about the same, minimal growth over the past sevearl months. I am strugling with SPS and don't know why. Although test kits say 0ppm on phos, this may be the culprit. I am currently using phosguard in a filter bag in my middle chamber. i will next try a phos reactor to see if this helps. I do get some GHA.

I did complete my LED build for solana today and added 6 cree XRE RBs (copied evil's design). These are really really blue. I think i would have done 4 blue and 2 white if i could do it over again. Despite this, these RBs add SO much to the tank.

post-50902-1285889432_thumb.jpg

post-50902-1285889438_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After an avalanche earlier this week, the tank has been re-aquascaped. There are some FTS here but these looke washed out with blue, can't figure out how to make the colors more realistic.

I recently switched from Brightwell salt to DD H2O, we'll see how things work out.

Next updates are an MP10 as my circulation is not good enough.

I am also looking into a BRS media reactor and running GFO (opinions welcome)

DSC01800.JPG

DSC01795.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
kevantheman35

Hey man, I'm lovin the black and white clowns makes me want some bad. I'm looking into doing something similar for l.e.d actinics, was it very hard to put together? how much did it cost you?

Also I see you have a yellow clown goby, i have been trying to catch mine for a month because it was killing all my sps, you might keep your eye on him since you said you have been having probs. Mine rubs up against them over and over at night till they just wither away.

Hey man, I'm lovin the black and white clowns makes me want some bad. I'm looking into doing something similar for l.e.d actinics, was it very hard to put together? how much did it cost you?

Also I see you have a yellow clown goby, i have been trying to catch mine for a month because it was killing all my sps, you might keep your eye on him since you said you have been having probs. Mine rubs up against them over and over at night till they just wither away.

PM me if you need help with the LEDs, they were very hard to figure out. My goby had an accident so we'll see how the SPS do now. I do really love my BW clowns but one problem is that they do not add color to the tank.

• 2 months later...

So update to the tank

Specs:

Salt DD H2O, weekly 5 gallon change

Dose daily with about 10cc reefcode A/B from brightwell aquatics

Lights Sunpod 250W phonex 14K bulb with 6 RB LED add on

Circulation Vortech MP10, stock return, 1 K nanos

BRS reactor with GFO

Tunze 9002 skimmer

Run chemipure in back

Corals are still not "colored up". All params are fine, SG 1.025, alk 10, phosphate on Seachem reads 0.05 (which is as low as I get with this test even with fresh DI water). Any recs about how to color up coarls? I think my lighting is strong enough. Maybe another MP10?

DSC02129.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

DSC02134.JPG

DSC02170.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So took someone's advice and tried taking pics with iphone 4G cam with HDR mode on. IMO works alot better than my point and shoot cam. These were with actinics on, I think it still looks too blue. Ill have to try again with actinics off.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

• 6 months later...

New pic update (sorry about the bad quatlity iphone pics. New scape and new DIY stand. Just moved the tank from the bedroom to the livingroom.

Still working hard at this hobby aiming for an SPS tank. Still cannot get my SPS to really survive in the long run and can never get good growth, color, PE.

Updated equipment/maintanance:

Sunpod 250W phoenix 14K w 6 DIY cree RBs

drews dosing pumps w BRS 2 part 20cc each per day

BRS phos reactor

MP10

Currently using brightwell salt changing 5 gallons each week.

chemipure in chamber 2

tunze 9002 skimmer

Autotoppoff.com ATO

want to add a second MP10 when i can afford it and am thinking about changing out the stock sunpod external balast for a new one.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

Clean tank Fish! The growth on your monti cap is great that piece really looks good.

Seems odd that you aren't able to grow SPS with all that equipment to keep your water stable. As soon as I got my doser my SPS took off!

Clean tank Fish! The growth on your monti cap is great that piece really looks good.

Seems odd that you aren't able to grow SPS with all that equipment to keep your water stable. As soon as I got my doser my SPS took off!

Yeah, I am at the point where I dont know what else to buy to help with my tank. I did make a very noob error recently after 2.5 years of having this tank (I had been using a cheepo float type SG meter and just got a marinedepot refractometer; my SG has been above 1.025 this whole time and is now correct.) Hopefully that will help. My red monte is the only thing that has survived from the begining. I bought it as a 1" frag, but it still wont color up for me. I am hoping that between the SG fix and the dosing pumps things will finally start working out for me. I look at the TOTM pics (ie podpimp) and realize i have a long way to go.

• 1 month later...

Been doing some upgrades to my tank and thought I would provide an update of my overall system. Got the Hanna phosphate checker and love it, well worth the money. Going to get the Alk tester as well. I have very difficult time with color changes and have to ask my girlfriend to do all my testing, so the Hanna checker will make her very happy).

Also just got a used Deltec MCE600 and am interested to see how it does in my tank. I have fussed around with the Tunze for a long time now and have never been happy with its performance.

My red Monte is really taking off and I will need to frag it soon (for the first time), will be looking for local buyers in LA for pick up. PM me if interested, will sell for very reasonable prices.

Specs:

Tank:Solana 34g

Stand: DIY

Protein skimmer: Deltec MCE600 added 10/9/11 (replaced my Tunze 9002)

Return pump: Stock

Lighting: Sunpod 20" 250w with 6 RB XREs (upgraded from disco ball 2/10)

Circulation: MP10, a second one is in the mail!!

Heater: 150W AquaClear

Filtration media: Chemipure in chamber 2 and ROWA phos in BRS reactor

Maintance:

Water Changes: Weekly 5g water change currently using brightwell aquatics salt

Feeding: Few pellets for fish nightly for the clowns

Dosing: BRS calc/alk via drews dosing pumps (about 30cc each daily), magnesium by hand once every 3-4 weeks. 5cc salifert amino acid weekly (started 10/10)

Cooling: Azoo fan

Top off: autotoppoff.com

Fish/inverts:

Pair Black Ocellaris

Have a few snails and crabs. Had baught a CUC from reefcleaners.org, but most have either crawaled out of the tank and died on the floor or have just died off.

Blue maxama

Derasa clam

Coral:

Purple tip frogspawn

Purple mushrooms

Orange Ricordea

Red Montipora

soul searcher favia

nuclear dragons eyes

Nuclear green zoa

Few misc SPS

Will post pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New update!! I got my second MP10 in and am now running two MP10wES. I have one set up on each side of the tank and am running them on anti-sync mode. Should be plenty of flow now for my SPS.

Also just got a dendros. Have it placed in a shady part of the tank below an overhang with little flow. He stays closed pretty much all of the time. I try to get him out with some oyster feast spot feeds. He will come out for about 30 minutes and than hide again. Any recs?

Pics soon.

• 2 months later...

Just added a reef keeper lite level 3 to the system. Working well so far. This allowed me to add a Mg dosing pump as my Mg is always low. I think I may change salt. I am now using brightwell neomarine salt and the mixed calc/mg levels are super low.

Archived