Coral Vue Hydros

Paul E. Wog's 10g sps Mixed Nano

Paul E. Wog

Current FTS

nano_reef398.jpg

Hi everyone, Been lurking here for quite some time posting mostly in the classifieds and doing business with several very nice nano-reefers. Been keeping reef aquariums for the passed 15 years since I was in my young teens. I borrowed/stole my Father's work camera today to take some pics of my nano since my old digital is worse then most cellphone cameras these days lol.

Anyway, Here is the breakdown:

10 gal rimless (removed the rim and excess silicone from a standard 10g)

Oddysea 150w metal halide/T5 actinic combo

(really like this light regardless of what some ppl say. Think of it as the Toyota of the reef lighting world. Not as nice as a Ferrari but its reliable and gets you where you need to go.)

2x Koralia nano powerheads

Drs. foster and smith HOB with built in overflow. The overflow on this works great and skims my surface water very well.

Aquaclear HOB converted into refugium. Lit with a cheep utility light

Ebo Jager 100w heater

3-4 inches of carib-sea live sand

10lbs of fiji live rock

Corals include

12x acropora sp.

Stylophora sp.

Pocilipora Damicornis

M. Digitata

M. Capricornis

Red and gray acan

Pulsing xenia

GSP

Kenya tree coral (hitchhiker which is going to be traded out asap)

Iverts:

6 color morphs of Maxi Mini S. Tapetum carpet anemones

Pepermint shrimp

turbos snails

Astrea

Nassarius

Bumble bee snails

Fish:

Azure Damselfish (not a particularly mean one)

ORA Oceleris clown

I currently do weekly 1gallon water changes and I use quality carbon and phos remover.

The nano is dosed Daily 4ml each of C-balance 2 part (SPS suck the calcium out fast!) and 2 drops of Kent Iodine.

Testing is done several times a week the quell my paranoia.

PH 8.3

Phosphate always 0

Nitrate 0-10 mg/l

Calcium 420 ppm

DKH 9-12

Anyway, enough rambling and on with the pics

FTS and some close ups

Nano_reef191.jpg

Nano_reef180.jpg

Nano_reef181.jpg

Nano_reef186.jpg

Nano_reef217.jpg

And my Maxi Minis

Nano_reef177-1.jpg

Nano_reef151.jpg

Nano_reef169.jpg

Nano_reef176.jpg

Nano_reef202.jpg

Nano_reef205.jpg

Nano_reef207.jpg

Nano_reef208.jpg

Nano_reef.jpg

Hope you like everything!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I took the plunge and did something that I have been scared to do. I CUT ONE OF MY MAXIS!!! :scarry:

I decided to test cut one of my more common green maxis. This is the one that is in the sand between the rock and side glass. Fortunately it was attached to the glass for "easy removal" but it was a little nerve wracking getting my fingers between the live rock and glass and carefully removing the nem.

I left it sitting on my cutting board for a while to let it relax which it really didn't do that much. But I imagine they don't flatten out too much when out of the water. The nem was actually quite stiff and hard. Anyway I found a nice even fold that was down the middle and cut from the mouth out on one side then on the other which was a lot easier then I expected. I let the 2 pieces sit in an anemone safe iodine bath for a few mins and then transferred them to the holding box I constructed that hangs just inside my nano.

Overall I think it went very well and was easier then I thought it was going to be. The cuts were very clean and the nems are rounding out very nicely and do not look bad at all. I expect them to heal up very well.

Anyway enough rambling here's what you all want to see. PICS!

right after cut

Nano_reef224.jpg

in the holding basket.

Nano_reef226.jpg

Nano_reef228.jpg

Nano_reef232.jpg

Nano_reef235.jpg

My ugly but functional holding basket constructed from egg crate and a cutt off food container for the bottom.

Nano_reef236.jpg

Wish me luck

@ Gordon:

BTW, I tried taking some pics of the equipment but theres just too many things around the tank to get a decent shot.

The fuge is really nothing special. I just used the largest aquaclear that I could fit next to my Drs foster smith overflow HOB filter in the back and used the media basket that it came with to keep my macro bundled up nicely in the main filter body. The light is just a cheep dome shaped aluminum reflector shop light that most ppl use in their garage for working on cars which powers a regular household spiral pc bulb. Honestly I will probably change the light eventually to a submersible halogen that someone here on nano-reef sells. Can't remember who right off hand.

It's doing great. one half has been fully expanded and attached to the holding box like it wasn't even cut. it was still pretty big so I decided to try an experiment tonight and cut that one in half because it was large enough to still round out easily. the maxi was easily 4 inches before I cut it so it was quite large. So far so good it looks really healthy and the quarters did round out. So now I have one 1/2 maxi and two 1/4 maxis if that makes sense.

Also, your tank looks a lot bigger than a 10g! I really like it!

Thx!!! its amazing how much just going rimless opens up a small tank. I almost didn't remove the rim but am so glad I did. I think it also looks larger bc of the small amount of rock and openness if the water column. I really didn't want to clutter up the whole back with a ton of liverock so there are only a few pieces

Paul E. Wog

Little update:

1 day after recutting one of the halfs the 2 quarters are doing very well. One has not opened up fully but is attached to the conttainer and looks healthy. the other quarter acts like it has never been cut. It is fully opened and looks extrememly healthy. So now out of one large 4 inch specimen I have a half that is healing up and looks great and 2 quarters that are in excelent health as well. I expect to be putting the healed half back into my display very soon and then use the 2 quarters for propogation stock and trades with other maxi owners.

Paul E. Wog

BAH!!! I'm mad!!! I just got home and found that my purple maxi mini decided to crawl into a hollow space inside of my lr. Not just a recess in the lr, he is actually inside an enclosed cavern in the piece now and I can hardly see him w/o using a flashlight. I imagine he will move out eventually since he is in the dark but it still makes me unhappy. :angry:

Nice maxis. They do move and will find their ways into crevices and caves. My favorite orange one is now in the BACK of my rockwork. Frustrating. But they will eventually move again tho.

Paul E. Wog

Whew, been on the Maxi mini bandwagon really hard the passed few months. And have added several more to my collection. I should have a few more on the way in the next month as well. I just can't get enough of these guys. I'm hooked.

Anyway, I had a scare the other day. I was doing a water change and I used a length of 1" wide hose to suck out the detritus in my maxi cutting basket. Long story short I went about my maintanence and was going to go dump my wc buckets after throwing a newly cut maxi in the basket. Fortunately I noticed that one of my nice red-melon cuttings was gone and I looked all over the tank for it to no avail. After almost giving up I looked in my wc jug and there it was sitting at the bottom of the jug. I almost threw the baby out with the bath water. YIKES!!!

anyway, enough banter. Here's some pics!

Nano_reef268.jpg

Nano_reef263.jpg

Nano_reef264.jpg

Nano_reef265.jpg

Nano_reef266.jpg

Nano_reef269.jpg

Nano_reef270.jpg

Nano_reef270.jpg

Nano_reef279.jpg

Nano_reef284.jpg

Nano_reef288.jpg

Nano_reef289.jpg