SaltCritters.com

Digi's ADA Nano

digi

Hey everyone,

I wanted to show you all my results of my new aquarium build at home.

Pics first, description later.

home-build-1.jpg

8.5 gal ADA tank

home-build-2.jpg

5.5 gal sump, the lights are ikea LED, and are normally timed to work inversely with the main display light. For this pic, I turned on the lights :)

home-build-3.jpg

This shows the sump, and the Freshwater reservoir, across the kitchen. Its powered by the JBJ ATO, and a tom's aqualifter.

home-build-4.jpg

The tank during daytime.

Equipment:

• ADA 60-F display tank
  • Kotobuki Stick Light LED
  • Koralia Nano powerhead
  • JBJ ATO
  • Tom's Aqualifter
  • 2xGenefic 5.5 gal tanks
  • Marineland utility pump

First off, I had done alot of googling to find out if an ADA tank could be drilled... nowhere else, except for this website said it was possible... after some gutwrenching slow drilling, turns out it is. Secondly, I knew where I wanted my sump to be, but there was no available power inside the cupboard. I had an electrician buddy of mine install an outlet for me.

I then decided to put a hole through my wall, which would allow me to hide the piping that would run to my sump. This took alot of planning and prep to make sure I wasn't drilling through a water line, or anything critical. Again, some more gutwrenching drilling took place, although it was alot faster... this was my first time putting a hole in drywall and was surprised that it took about 6 seconds tops to be all the way through, lol.

I had originally planned for my fresh water reservoir to be above the sump, and for the JBJ ATO to be located where all the other electrical stuff is located... I had it set up and working, and realized that once the ATO told the pump to stop, it had created a syphon, and the fresh-water would not stop pumping out. I had assumed inside the tom's aqualifter, there would have been some sort of valve that would have stopped this kind of behaviour... I guess not. More planning, and more airline tubing and the reservoir had been relocated across my kitchen.

The rock has been cycling for a few weeks now and i've recently added some bumble bee snails, and some hermits.

foothill reefer

wow, very clean look. i love the ADA tank. you got a nice setup. can't wait see to more photos later. keep us updated. where did you get the LED light?

wow, very clean look. i love the ADA tank. you got a nice setup. can't wait see to more photos later. keep us updated. where did you get the LED light?

The kotobuki light is only sold in japan. It was difficult to find a shop to ship here (Canada). I wrote a comment on reefbuilders explaining how to get one for yourself. http://reefbuilders.com/2009/11/05/kotobuk...for-%C2%A52980/ . See the bottom comment by George H... that's me.

The lights for the sump are Ikea, and are mounted on the bottom of the shelf in that cupboard.

I'm not going with sand in the display for sure... maybe in the sump... I'm not sure.

thanks for the info Digi. are you going to keep corals in the tank? hope the 3w LED will be enough? softies maybe ok....

Hey, i replied to your reefbuilders question.

Just wanted to add another note that marine depot used to sell the azoo neo led light, and in the user comments, people had noted using the light in a 20 gallon tank, with high success with many types of coral. I also scoured many forums before buying my azoo neo and had seen others with far larger tanks than mine doing well.

The light output on the kotobuki is definitely higher though, even if it is rated as 3 watts (vs 7W rating on the Azoo neo).

Beautiful.

How is the flow when your ATO kicks in? Do you just have the single aqualifter? I was amazed at how moving the aqualifter just half a foot higher changed the flo from drip-drip-drip to a steady stream. Looks like yours is moving a long way vertically as well as pushing some height.

Very cool setup!

Beautiful.

How is the flow when your ATO kicks in? Do you just have the single aqualifter? I was amazed at how moving the aqualifter just half a foot higher changed the flo from drip-drip-drip to a steady stream. Looks like yours is moving a long way vertically as well as pushing some height.

Very cool setup!

The flow when the ATO kicks in is good... yeah i've just got the single aqualifter. It's a steady stream... I was surprised actually. Its positioned below the sink, about halfway between the two tanks.. so it pulls from 5 feet horizontally, and pushes from 5 feet horizontally, and then vertically.

This is going to be great!

Shall I add you to the list?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226045

Please do! I have a second ADA tank, ill post some pics soon... its around 6 months old with some nice coral in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived