SaltCritters.com

Medic's 75g Mixed Reef

MedicBMC

Medic's 75g Reef

draft1.jpg

SPECS:

Tank: 75g custom acrylic (48"x18"x22") w/ external overflow & Eurobrace

Sump: Custom made by Advanced Acrylics 20g (30"x12"x14")

Lighting: SunlightSupply Tek Elite 6X54W T5HO

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110 Needle/Wheel pin (100g)

Pump: QuiteOne 4000 (1017g)

Powerhead: Vortech mp40w Ecosmart

Doser: Bubble Magus triple doser

Controller: Reefkeeper Lite w/ ATO

Livestock

• Midas Blenny
  • Mated pair B&W clowns
  • Yellow Tang
  • Bangaii Cardinals
  • McCosker's flasher wrasse
  • Tailspot blenny

Corals

I Have...

SPS: Tyree Setosa, ORA hawkins enchinata, ORA green birdsnest, ORA bird of paradise, Green slimer, seasons greetings monti, pokerstar monti, ORA Jeremy's green monti, Tyree ponape birdsnest, red monti cap, idaho grape cap, green cap, forest fire dig, pink millie, green humilus, various unk. sps

LPS: Tyree war coral, Dragon soul favia, Meteor shower cyphastrea, Miami Hurricane chalice, Bubble gum monster, emerald mummy eye, Hollywood stunner chalice, assorted acans, blastomussa, brain, fungia, aussie scolymia.

Zoas: Nuke Greens, Vivid Rainbows, Sunny D's, RPE, Eagle Eyes, Bam Bams , Pink , Green Bay Packers, Watermelons.

Paramaters

• Temp: 78.0 +/- 0.1 degrees
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite levels: 0
  • Nitrate levels: 0
  • pH: 8.2ish
  • Calcium: 440
  • Alkalinity: 9 dKh
  • Salinity: 1.025-1.026

[/font]

FTS 5/23/10

TANK01.jpg

FTS 12/10/10

IMG_0014.jpg

1/18/11

0118_0055_edited-1.jpg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, thats a nice looking setup. Sound like a winner.

Thanks...I'm really excited to get this up and running!

Anyone have experience with Ebay RO/DI systems? I really want to pick this filter up.Link

Also anyone using D-D H2Ocean Mag Pro +? Is it worth the extra $$?

looking good.

D-D salt. I finished one but didn't like it. Got cloudy water. Just my 2 cent.

That's what I don't want...I guess I can't go wrong with Instant Ocean reef crystals.

That is one beautiful tank Medic!!! :o

Can't wait to follow this one!

As for the D-D salt... I think you'll be happy with it. I went through three buckets, and it was great! Just mix it for 24 hrs. prior to adding!

B)

I've heard good things about the DD salt.

As far as the RO/DI, I went with the SpectraPure ProPlus. It's a 4-stage, 90 GPD system with a pressure gauge and a dual TDS meter included. I mounted it in my laundry room using the 3/4" hose connection. I switch between the filter and the washing machine as needed. I ran the waste line to the washer's drain. It's a great system with pretty easy installation with the stock kit. No extra connections needed.

I've heard good things about the DD salt.

As far as the RO/DI, I went with the SpectraPure ProPlus. It's a 4-stage, 90 GPD system with a pressure gauge and a dual TDS meter included. I mounted it in my laundry room using the 3/4" hose connection. I switch between the filter and the washing machine as needed. I ran the waste line to the washer's drain. It's a great system with pretty easy installation with the stock kit. No extra connections needed.

I'll have to try some DD salt and see what it's all about then.

I think I may end up going with a Spectrapure....can't beat the quality and the price. I'd rather pay a little more upfront and save $$ and time later when it comes to changing cartridges. Can you hook up a hose to a RO/DI?

UPDATE!

Just got done with my little road trip down to OC. I picked up my new sump from John at Advanced Acrylics. All I have to say is WOW! It is such a shame this thing has to be hidden. I almost want to turn this thing into a display tank itself. :P

Also I picked up a Reefkeeper Lite and can't wait to get it runnning! I think I'm going to use it on my BC14 to get familiar with the settings until I mount it on my 75.

As for the corner overflow I left the tank at Advanced Acrylics for John to silicone in, but I'm going to pick it up Wednesday and will have pics of as soon as I get home.

P1050100.jpg

P1050096.jpg

Thanks guy!

So I have ran into a little problem. John from Advanced acrylics told me he was having a hard time siliconing in the acrylic overflow. So after some research I found that it is impossible to silicone acrylic->glass. Also it can be quite dangerous because acrylic will expand and shorten with temperature changes. Thus you have to leave a little space for the change in size. If you don't it can shatter your glass and your tank will end up on the floor.

Now for what to use to adhere these two materials together.....Bostik Titan Bond Plus. After some more research I found this company that sells Bostik is in Australia, and is only sold to businesses. GREAT! So luckily a fellow reefer on another forum found this same epoxy is sold to a US based business and the name is changed to Mr. Sticky Underwater glue. Luckily for me this glue is sold on the biggest aquarium online store....marine depot.

So noww I have to pick some of this stuff up and glue this overflow in.

Tank looks great and it doesn't even have water yet! :D

Good luck with the overflow. I think I have an acrylic overflow on my sun coral tank. I don't know how they glued it though. Hopefully it was done right.

Thanks guy!

So I have ran into a little problem. John from Advanced acrylics told me he was having a hard time siliconing in the acrylic overflow. So after some research I found that it is impossible to silicone acrylic->glass. Also it can be quite dangerous because acrylic will expand and shorten with temperature changes. Thus you have to leave a little space for the change in size. If you don't it can shatter your glass and your tank will end up on the floor.

Now for what to use to adhere these two materials together.....Bostik Titan Bond Plus. After some more research I found this company that sells Bostik is in Australia, and is only sold to businesses. GREAT! So luckily a fellow reefer on another forum found this same epoxy is sold to a US based business and the name is changed to Mr. Sticky Underwater glue. Luckily for me this glue is sold on the biggest aquarium online store....marine depot.

So noww I have to pick some of this stuff up and glue this overflow in.

I don't think it's impossible to silicone acrylic to glass. It depends on the type of silicone used and how it's applied. I know AGE uses a special adhesive (silicone based) to join the glass and PVC bottom in their hybrid tanks. I'm assuming that they use this same "glue" to join external acrylic overflows to the glass.

Did you get a chance to use that glue?

No not yet....I am picking up the tank from John tomorrow. I just told him to forget about siliconing in the overflow as I would find an alternative method and just do it myself.

Hmm I wonder what they use? Do you have a link or contact info for AGE?

No not yet....I am picking up the tank from John tomorrow. I just told him to forget about siliconing in the overflow as I would find an alternative method and just do it myself.

Hmm I wonder what they use? Do you have a link or contact info for AGE?

The glue that they use is probably a propriety adhesive but if you'd like to find out, here's a link to their contact info: Acrylic & Glass Exhibits

K well I tried to silicone the overflow in and got a pretty good seal and it looks alright, but John from AA offered me a deal on a tank I can't pass up.

Dimensions are going to be almost the same 48x18x20.....black acrylic back w/ external overflow and polished corners. Should be ready by this weekend or early next week. I CANT WAIT!

Today I got the call from John that my tank was all ready so I picked it up. I couldn't be happier with the quality and overall service with his company. The tank is all acrylic 75g 48"x18"x22" with a black acrylic black, rounded and polished corners, center overflow w/ 2-1"bulkheads, and a 3/4" return in the top right.

Here's the tank when I got it home before unwrapping it.

P1050152-1.jpg

There is a paper film to protect the bottom of the tank on it. I'm going to take that off asap.

P1050160.jpg

Current FTS

P1050157.jpg

I started plumbing the overflow, and will probably be finished tomorrow. I'm waiting for my return pump to arrive and will get hard plumbed to my 3/4" return.

Today I received my Jager 250w heater. This thing is 17" and barely fits in my sump. One question, is it bad for a heater to be touching the acrylic. Will it warp or possibly cause a failure?

Next purchase will be a RO/DI....I'm going to go with a Spectrapure ProPlus 90gpd system. I will also be picking up 40lbs of special grade reef sand and 20lbs of Fiji Pink from marine depot will-call.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. What should I do with this tank? I wanna hear your ideas.

sketcher350
Any advice or suggestions are welcome. What should I do with this tank? I wanna hear your ideas.

Awesome tank! Another excellent build by John.

I think you should get another mp40w powerhead, place 1 on each side, and turn it into an SPS reef tank :D

You'll eventually have to dose or buy a calcium reactor though to keep up w/ the growth.

Awesome tank! Another excellent build by John.

I think you should get another mp40w powerhead, place 1 on each side, and turn it into an SPS reef tank :D

You'll eventually have to dose or buy a calcium reactor though to keep up w/ the growth.

Thanks! John has a great thing going on and his quality is unremarkable.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get 2 of them, but later down the road $$$$. Only thing I don't like about tanks that have two mp's on......it looks like they have earmuffs.

Anyways I made a blog for my tank. Here's the link. please subscribe, post comments etc.

http://ecoreef75.blogspot.com/

sketcher350
Thanks! John has a great thing going on and his quality is unremarkable.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get 2 of them, but later down the road $$$$. Only thing I don't like about tanks that have two mp's on......it looks like they have earmuffs.

You could get by with just 1 since it pushes a lot of water. I hate equipment showing so I'll be using 2 mp10s and mounting them on the rear black panel of my tank (should blend in nicely). Other than that the whole setup should look clean. Will you be using live or dry rock (marco, BRS eco, etc)?

I think I'll just stick with one on the left side for now and depending on the needs of the tank as it matures I'll see if a second one is needed.

I'm off to Home Depot here soon to finish up getting the rest of my plumbing supplies. Plumbing is a PITA

I tried to "measure twice and cut once"....it turned to to be measure three times cut three times and go to HD three times. Oh well

Here's what I've got done so far.

P1050165.jpg

P1050164.jpg

Sketcher- I'm really not sure what I'm going to use for my rockwork. I'm trying to find someone breaking a tank down and selling their LR. If not I'll head down to marine depot will call and pick up some dried macro.

Just got my Reef Octopus 2010 Skimmer from FedEx. I am very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. I probably had it assembled and ready to run in 5 minutes. Hopefully it's as easy to break in as it was to set up. I got it in my sump. Had to break it into a couple pieces and put it back together inside, but wow is it a tight fit. Its going to be a little harder for me to empty the cup but that's Ok I don't mind. Anyways enough talking more pics.

It felt like Christmas.....in March

CIMG1020.jpg

Not sure what the difference is between 2009 and 2010

CIMG1027.jpg

In sump pic

CIMG1023.jpg

I sold my 75g glass and I'll be heading down to marine depot will call next week to pick up 80lbs of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand and a Spectrapure ProPlus 90gpd RO/DI. I'm going to bump up the ETA on this build to mid April. Hopefully a couple overtime shifts will keep it on track. :bling:

redkneecoral

I love your tank, makesmine looking like child"s play lol. And your sump, never seen one looking so good. Great choice on your p. skimmer.

Doing great so far

Archived