Cultivated Reef

Nanomora?

Reefer_Buddha

Reefer_Buddha

Well i decided to get a remora. Ya right, like ill ever shell out the cash they want for that. So i went ahead and just made my own but nano sized it for my 10g. The only difference is my outpipe is exactly that, a pipe, and not a spillway like the remora has. I have yet to test this since i just barely finished it to see about the microbubbles. Everything you see i made, the only thing i took and modified were some cheap plastic champagne glasses that i cut off the stems and made the top of the cups the pipes for the collection cup. The rest was all hand made and cuts were done by tap plastics. I used weldon 16 since some cuts i did with a hacksaw and i had a few gaps i had to fill in with either weldon on silicon. Ill probably make another one just for the sake of it looking better to me since this one looks a little thrown together. Anyway, enjoy the pics.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefer_Buddha

its formed thru spray injection. The input on the right fires a stream of water downward and that makes tons of bubbles. The collection cup in the middle gets the foam and water exits out on the right side.

Reefer_Buddha

this is after 12 hours of operation. This thing is pulling so much crap from my tank. I have a low bio load in this 10g so im pretty impressed. Skimmate looks light yellow since i lit it from behind to show the level but its dark and nasty in the cup. Overall im happy with this skimmer.

speakeraddict

Dimensions or a measured drawing?

I am getting ready to assemble my DIY nano cube and this would be a great thing to assemble at the same time.

speakeraddict

please stop saying 'blah'. it looks fine. of course we cannot do work like a machine.

is it possible to get a pic of the whole thing in operation?

nalbar

What did you use for the injector though?

I know on my EV 120 the injector is no more than taking a rigid plastic tubing squished in four way (to almost form a star).

Reefer_Buddha

This is the nozzle im using right now, i have 2 more that i made from pvc that i heat up and push into shape. One is a figure 8 which is exactly what the remora nozzle is and another one that looks like a diamond. Im testing all of them to find the best one but the current one is just a plug for a 1/2" pipe that i drilled a hole thru. For increased aeration i did add a circular piece of plastic in the 90 degree pvc connection. Kinda like a really small eggcrate to aerate the water before leaving the nozzle.

Reefer_Buddha

im using a maxi jet 900 but i might move to a lower model since the 900 is pushing out lots of micro bubbles right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Reefer_Buddha

After seeing the excessive amount of micros back in my tank from the skimmer i was forced to design a way to remove them. After talking with other reefers and seeing some ideas i made this. Its a 3/4" pipe with several large holes drilled into it which is then glued onto a small square of acrylic. The bubbles coming out of the skimmer hit the flat square and burst. Amazing results with more than half of the micros gone.

micro bubbles arent a bad thing really anyways...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.htm

see myth 14

thought you might want to check this out as well...

Oh, and as far as making them for others, Toonces, look at my thread as well. The injection system is patented. One can make it for themself, but making if for other's is illegal. I am considering making the main chamber alone, and simply selling that, as this is not patented, and could be used for another type of skimmer, like a venturi or air-pump driven...so to avoid the direct patent violation. However, once received, one could simply make their own injection system like I did and add it in...simple to make and cost only a few bucks...check it out.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=23465

seems we are making the same thing really...hope it helps.

you mean injection skimmers? Well, any skimmer that pumps that much air into water is going to cause a lot of salt spray = creep. What you can do is try to seal the skimmer as much as possible to prevent it's spread. On mine the only air in/outs are through the air lines...the skimmer cup has condensation all over it, but it stays wet, and the only place for salt creep is through the lines. Otherwise, ANY skimmer can have bad salt creep.

I think he means micro-bubbles. Actually, with my overflow drain dumping water at a high rate, I was getting microbubbles and since i use a vertical T to rid the drain of air before the water hits the sump...I inadvertantly turned my drain line into a skimmer! So I went with it and added a 1" to 2" bushing to the top of the pvc T and it acts like a little skimmer! (not a very good one though!).

Otherwise, if I get microbubbles in my sump, it turns my sump into a skimmer and I get scum bubbles in it!

However, I just put an AquaC EV-120 on the sump so it should help...well it better for $300 !!!!

V

Archived