Innovative Marine Aquariums

picod's Fluval Edge thread

picoD

Hello All!

For my 34th birthday, I was given a Fluval Edge. I have spent every day since then learning about SW and boy, there is a lot to learn.

I definitely want to thank all the great people on NR who have given me great advice, and great ideas too. This happens to be the first forum I've ever become a member of. This site rocks!

The tank sits on my desk in my home office, so if I'm having a rough day, I just look over at the tank, and things are all good in the world...

post-49834-1265220992_thumb.jpg

On the suggestion of wwu123, I replaced the stock halohttp://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?#gen lighting with 2 mr16 sockets and 2- 3x1 watt 12v mr16 Cree xr-e white 120 degree led bulbs. They have substantially improved the lighting. They are huge in size compared to the halogens though.

post-49834-1265221481_thumb.jpg

I am using a 50w Rena heater since the 25w Fluval heater made specifically for the Edge was fluctuating by 6 degrees throughout the day. The Rena heater felt well made and got great reviews. but was terribly bulky. At first I was going to return it, but I was determined to make it work. First I removed the plastic holder with the suction cups from the heater. I then removed the intake tube and from the filter and using an extension section to the "u" piece, (in order for the heater to clear the giant bulbs) I inserted the extension section into the heater. Lastly I took a suction cup off the holder piece and slid it onto the back of the heater to hold it closely to the glass.

post-49834-1265221505_thumb.jpg

I purchased a microjet 450 for a little extra flow, but have not installed it just yet.

Lastly, on the suggestion of pimp4cheddar, I dumped the Fluval filter media and replaced with some pieces of Pura pad.

I've added about 7 lbs of Live Rock but no live sand and have been cycling since January 11th, 2010.

I bought both the API marine and reef test sets based on forum/website reviews and a refractometer from ebay.

I get my RO water from a LFS and for now I am using the 5 gallon jug of pre-made salt water.

My goal is to keep the peace in my tank.

I would be devastated if I looked in my tank one day and saw someone munching on someone else, so I did lots of reading on who gets along with who..

My current inverts/future inverts:

After my water test results looked good, I added a Skunk cleaner shrimp (my little buddy), and two Scarlet Reef hermit crabs. Oh -and there is a little tiny clam hitchhiker that I found today whom I hope is harmless. I plan on adding a Nerite snail, maybe a Dwarf Cerith snail and three Sexy shrimp in about a month.

post-49834-1265221562_thumb.jpgpost-49834-1265221580_thumb.jpg post-49834-1265221545_thumb.jpg

My future coral:

In two weeks I would like to get my first soft coral frag. I would like to duplicate the look of a garden in my Edge since gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. So far, I really like:

pipe organ coral, flower pots, daisy polyps, green star polyps, yellow polyps, and pulsing xenia to name a few. I've decided on these as they are listed as "peaceful/non-aggressive" on most websites.

*What confuses and frustrates me, however, is reading contradicting information on other websites which seems to happen a lot. *

I plan on posting a thread asking for suggestions of what others would recommend based on "Garden looking corals for beginners" so hopefully I will have some more ideas.

I have to say that the so far, the Edge is very cool, but it's tough to maneuver around within the confines of the tank. Nothing I can't handle though!

More updates to follow...

Thanks for looking!

danielle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks great. I want to do a fluval edge so bad, but I'm trying to keep it down to one tank. I know I'll cave eventually, but I'm sticking to it so far. I've got my tank on my home office desk as well, and it really is nice to have something peaceful to take you away from the stress.

Looking good, and the lights seem to cover pretty well.

I've been thinking about building a tank similar to the Edge, only with a larger lid for lighting, but I haven't gotten around to it. <_<

Nice work and thanks for sharing the mods. I haven't picked up this little tank yet but likely will when I figure out what the best lighting options are. Do you mind sharing how you switched the sockets from MR11 to MR16...is it just plug and play?

And how about a FTS so we can see the full aquascape and light spread?

Will be following along.

I'll update with a FTS tomorrow. The lighting in my office isn't so terrific so I will wait for daylight.

Changing out the sockets was no big deal. There are screws that hold the existing sockets in and some screws in the housing. After opening the housing, clip off the crimped connectors which are holding in the existing mr11 sockets, strip off some wire and wire (with small wire nuts) the mr16 sockets in the same fashion as the ones that are being removed. Just follow along with how they the existing sockets are in and you will have no problem!

Thanks for following!

The tank looks good! I have been waiting to see a fully stocked edge.

As far as coral i highly recommend xenia. It grows fast and brings life to a tank.

Pipe organ is also cool, i have a large chunk in my tank and love it.

Gsp is also a great hearty choice. I bought a $6 frag and its taking over the rock i put it on.

Good luck, will be following along

:welcome: Danielle - Tank looks awesome. I just started mine about 4 days ago so Im happy to see things working out for ya! Tagging along for the ride! :D

Thanks, everyone!

This is what I used:

2 Bulbs http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=198

2 Sockets http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=200

The bulbs are $30 each, and the sockets are $.25 each and I think it came out to about $68 with shipping.

I don't buy anything EVER without shopping around for the best price first, and this was the best I could find.

Just remember, like I said these bulbs are big, and heavy too. The dome of these bulbs does break the surface of the water, but since they are sealed, I'm not too worried. They have also fallen in a couple of times, but they float, and are easily retrieved, so right now I use a rubber band for extra support.

I'm going away for a week, and I do plan on coming up with a permanent solution to the rubber bands when I get home.

I'm digging the tank and I'm glad you started a thread!!!

The location of the tank is perfect...I have mine tank on my desk as well...keeps me sane!

I was wondering...where is the tube that sucks the water into the filter? Did you just disconnect the extension?

EDIT:

I'm a retard and I only look at pictures...I hardly read! I read your first post and answered my own question. I'm still curious though...I didn't see the filter tube anywhere...how does it suck the water out?

Also...those LED's are nice...but HUGE! Are the rubberbands melting while holding the bulbs?

Nice set-up. I like the clean look. Do you have a lot of issues with bubbles on the top??

Just an FYI - I would think long and hard about getting sexy shrimp. IME, if you don't feed them regularly they will munch on certain types of corals; especially zoa's. I have a sexy that ate the skirts off all my zoa's. I've caught him doing it; little bugger. It is a cool shrimp to have though.

Nice little setup and I love the rockwork. 25 watts seems like an OK heater wattage for a tank that size. Does the room temp also flux alot? Reason why I am asking is I see a coralife thermoeter on your tank and those are pretty awful. On your list of corals though I would avoid the flowerpot like the fat chick at the bar. The green ones are next to impossible to keep and require very specialized feeding. The others look good and most locals would probaly hook up the xenia for free. Feel free to rip has much Pink star polyps and xenia out of my tank as you please and trust me you would be doing me a favor. The challenge isnt keeping those corals alive, but rather killing them.

Just my 2 cents

I'm digging the tank and I'm glad you started a thread!!!

The location of the tank is perfect...I have mine tank on my desk as well...keeps me sane!

I was wondering...where is the tube that sucks the water into the filter? Did you just disconnect the extension?

EDIT:

I'm a retard and I only look at pictures...I hardly read! I read your first post and answered my own question. I'm still curious though...I didn't see the filter tube anywhere...how does it suck the water out?

Also...those LED's are nice...but HUGE! Are the rubberbands melting while holding the bulbs?

The heater is "cylindrically hollow" inside and by eliminating the intake tube, I just connected the other piece right into the heater so that the water flows through the heater into the filter.

The bulbs seems to stay relatively cool, so the rubber-bands don't seem to be causing any issues. I just got back from a 7 night cruise today, so after I play "catch-up" at home, I am going to try to come up with a solution to eliminate the rubber-bands altogether!

Glad to make the shout-out too- thanks again for your help!

danielle

Nice set-up. I like the clean look. Do you have a lot of issues with bubbles on the top??

Just an FYI - I would think long and hard about getting sexy shrimp. IME, if you don't feed them regularly they will munch on certain types of corals; especially zoa's. I have a sexy that ate the skirts off all my zoa's. I've caught him doing it; little bugger. It is a cool shrimp to have though.

Yes! The bubbles are a pain the a**! I haven't found a good solution to get rid of them, even when my water level is at its highest point. Sometimes I tilt the tank, and that helps a bit - but it ain't light, so I try not to do that too often.

Thanks for the input regarding the Sexy shrimp. I will definitely put some thought into what you mentioned but I would most likely feed them so I may give them a try and see. Worse case scenario is that I find them a good home if they are misbehaving or start out with just one. It seems like the general consensus is to have the odd number over three, so I will look into that too.

danielle

Nice little setup and I love the rockwork. 25 watts seems like an OK heater wattage for a tank that size. Does the room temp also flux alot? Reason why I am asking is I see a coralife thermoeter on your tank and those are pretty awful. On your list of corals though I would avoid the flowerpot like the fat chick at the bar. The green ones are next to impossible to keep and require very specialized feeding. The others look good and most locals would probaly hook up the xenia for free. Feel free to rip has much Pink star polyps and xenia out of my tank as you please and trust me you would be doing me a favor. The challenge isnt keeping those corals alive, but rather killing them.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks joker4132!

And a very special thank you for acknowledging my rockwork. I am so OCD that my hands have been in that tank probably way more often than they should be trying to come up with the "perfect" rock set-up, lol to prepare for the places that my corals will live. Think I finally got it!

The heater I have is actually 50watt (I mentioned I removed the 25 watt) because the temp in my office can fluctuate up to 10 degrees in one day depending on the weather outside, but I will keep an eye on the coral life thermometer with random checks from one of my very accurate cooking probe thermometers.

As far as your 2 cents.. Being new to this I don't want to take on something that is going to become a chore, like specialized feeding. Maybe down the road when I am more comfortable, bc they sure are pretty! And thanks for the offer for the xenia and pink star polyps. I haven't seen anything but green ones, so that definitely is something I would be interested in.

Thanks again,

danielle

:wub: My new man!!!

Couldn't resist today...

Went to my LFS during lunch today and came home with this little guy.

(There were five of them when they first got their shipment a couple of weeks ago, and he was the only one left today. I just couldn't leave him :) )

Meet my yet-to-be-named new little Sexy Shrimp!

His "big brother" was ever so curious about what was going on over his head.

(I made sure I fed him just in case he thought this was a sexy snack!)

post-49834-1266274511_thumb.jpg

Almost time!

post-49834-1266274432_thumb.jpg

New home!

post-49834-1266274548_thumb.jpg

Any tank updates? I've been following as my Edge cycles on my desk.

Moved it to diagonal as you have, never occurred to me until I saw yours. Already it's keeping me sane.

Hoping to see more of your progress.

Any tank updates? I've been following as my Edge cycles on my desk.

Moved it to diagonal as you have, never occurred to me until I saw yours. Already it's keeping me sane.

Hoping to see more of your progress.

YES! Actually a ton of new progress.

I will elaborate further after work today.

Stay tuned for the big reveal...

Thanks for following!

Archived