SaltCritters.com

Kitty's 34G Oceanic Cube

Kittysnax

FTS 4/30/10

DSC01821.jpg

Current Setup

Tank/Stand: Oceanic 34G Cube (Black Trim)(Drilled for later use)

Substrate: 30# Caribsea Aragonite Oolite (I wanted fiji pink...nowhere sold it)

Heating: Fluval Vuetech E100

Filtration: 12# Fiji Live rock + ? Dead Fiji, AC70 fuge mod, Octopus 100BH Skimmer

Flow: 1 K-Nano, 1 900GPH PH

Timers: Coralife Digital Powerstrip - 10am-8pm(Halide) 8pm-10am(Fuge Light)

Salt: Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix (Will probably switch once this bucket is used.)

Lighting: 150W 20k HQI w/T5HO All Blues (MH is the only one in use at the moment)

STOCKING LIST

What I currently have:

Livestock:

1 Occ. Clown

1 B&W Clown

1 Sand Sifting Starfish

1 Strawberry Pseudo

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2 Spawning/Paired 3 Stripe Damsels

Corals:

GSP

Mushrooms

Ric/Yuma

Flowerpot

Cup Coral (Turb.)

Sponges

Zoas

Macro Algaes:

Chaeto

CUC:

3 ??? Snails

6 Asst. Hermits

2 Emerald Crabs

149 Dwarf Ceriths

7 Nerites

7 Florida Ceriths

7 Nassarius

3 Turbo Snails (for the time being, plan to move to fuge when their job is done)

2 Tiger Sand Conchs

What I plan to stock:

Corals:

Candy Cane

Xenias

More Softies

CUC:

More Nass. Snails

I plan on having a couple of macros in the display as well, Not sure which ones though...

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you planning to put in it? I run a 30g Oceanic cube as well. If you are planning to get SPS for it or if you have questions setting it up, let me know.

This is the setup from hell...Im dead on my feet Im so tired. We went out today to get a AC110...no one local sells them...I need it NOW so I skimped and got all I could find, an AC70. Got that one, drove all the way home, and it was broke...had to return it and it was their last one so I had to go elsewhere for another. /facepalm. Right now it is running straight floss and the charcoal bag that came with it. I can tell a difference in the clarity in the past 2 hours its been running.

I washed the other part of my sand, and it is ready to put in. Plugged up the bulkhead with a bulkhead plug sealed with teflon tape. its pretty much not goin anywhere LOL. I downgraded my 20G planted tank to a 10G in order to make room for cords. It will be a lil cramped for my 6 cories and shrimp...so I might get rid of 2 cories. I dunno yet.

Now, to answer some comments!

Oh good!

So why no sump right now?

All I have right now is a leftover trickle filter from the old days of my 75 FOWLR. It fits front to back, not side to side under the tank. I really dont like the bioballs in it and in order to do maintenance on it id have to pull everything out and turn it around...it would be a nightmare. I might save my money for a custom-fitted fuge/sump since the Oceanic's stand is awkward size-wise. I just wanted to drill it before and not regret it later. (Like almost everyone ends up regretting)

can't wait for pix... thought you were leanin' toward the new biocube hqi???

I WAS...but then I thought about it, and I really preferred to have 30 gallons of actual play space. I also went ahead with the piece by piece because I could add extra volume later on.

What are you planning to put in it? I run a 30g Oceanic cube as well. If you are planning to get SPS for it or if you have questions setting it up, let me know.

I actually made a stocking list rough draft already! LOL! I think I stuck it in the general forums, but I will import it over here once my tank clears up and I get the pics up...Gotta find my cam /facepalm!

What, you don't like the Ocenaic cubes?! biggrin.gif

LOL OCK-NEACK! I am soooooo tired, Im amazed I even got that close to spelling it! LOL! /fixed :P

update before shower and bed:

I can see a whole rock. Its clearin up. I also pulled the floss out from 4pm today @ 9pm...it was filthy. Replaced with a clean fistful of ployfill and will see how it looks in the morning. (Cant wait for that /end sarcasm) LOL!

oh man you guys! LOL! I woke up this morning to a crystal clear tank. I was so excited, thinkin I would be able to scape it then leave it...man o man was I wrong. I moved 2 rocks and it was back to square 1. /facepalm. So I changed out the polyfill since it was all yucky and let it sit for about 30 mins. Not seeing any change in cloudiness, I decided "What the He77" and blindly scaped it going by touch and the little sight I had on the sides of the tank. It all felt solid when I was done re-arranging, so hopefully it will be clear by this evening and I can see how I did on scapin. If it looks decent I'm just gonna leave it alone. If it looks unstable, Ill move things around....AGAIN. Hopefully pics tonight after the water clears up.

meganistkrieg

Woah, sweet rock! Can't wait to see an even clearer picture of it. Lovely strange shapes to it.

Also, love to black and white clowns! I can't wait to get one as well. :happy:

looks like everything's leaning up against the glass on the sides... gonna be difficult to keep clean.

love the big shelf on the right.

where'd u get your LR? local?

Woah, sweet rock! Can't wait to see an even clearer picture of it. Lovely strange shapes to it.

Also, love to black and white clowns! I can't wait to get one as well.

LOL! Thanks! I plan on snappin one in a couple of hours when my husband wakes up. I know its crystal and I wanna turn the lights on so bad, but dont wanna wake him up. Grrr! LOL!

looks like everything's leaning up against the glass on the sides... gonna be difficult to keep clean.

love the big shelf on the right.

where'd u get your LR? local?

I got 12# of it from City Pets and the other stuff (the bleached out dead white ones and sweet shelfy one) Came from I think it was Planet Fish almost a decade ago when it was live.

I will more than likely move the rocks inwards a bit because that thought did come to mind as well last night, but I didnt wanna cloud the damn thing up again. :lol:

Here is a few pics of the Dead Base Rock from when I cleaned it a few weeks ago:

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

The coffin it was in for 7 years...It has been outside in this icechest that long..bleh!

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

and a giant hunk of dead coral that I decided NOT to put in. (Glad I did)

DSC01404.jpg

UPDATE:

Not entirely crystal, but better than last night. I put on the HOB Octo Skimmer I got used locally. Its spewin micro bubbles and a few regular bubbles. bah. I also took off the AC70 and fuge modded it. Only I did not create a baffle for a heater or anything. Just more room. It is drying and hopefully will be ready in a day or so.

edit: The microbubbles have settled down alot. But i still see about 3 or so regular bubbles a second. Not a big deal since it has cleared the water up faster than the AC70 has LOL!

DSC01425.jpg

FTS:

DSC01426.jpg

Skimmate after a hour:

DSC01427.jpg

Some colorful ricordea would look great on those shelf pieces! #8 :lol:

ROFL! I saw some neon blue/green/purple rics online and if I hadnt dumped almost a grand on this setup and the tank was already cycled...I totally woulda snagged em LOL!!! :lol:

Blar ditty blar! I was bored...moar pix...of the same shizz

FTS w/flash (cant wait for the litterbox cover to get here >_>):

DSC01429.jpg

Rockscape w/flash. Done to show the caves and stuffs:

DSC01430.jpg

Filtration. Octo BH100 Skimmer and a fuge-modded AC70. The plastic peice on the back of the filter is to clip a mini clamp lamp onto:

DSC01433.jpg

Jaeden says hai thurr (from when I set up my planted tank lol:

DSC01286.jpg

meganistkrieg

Woah!! Cute kitty! :D (even if he has made a mess in the box, heheh)

And I'm totally in love with the "shelf-space" on your rock-work. The open space amongst the "caves" is really neat, too - I can envision loads of coral on the shelves and fish swimming through the pillars underneath... so cool! Now the wait begins...

Woah!! Cute kitty! :D (even if he has made a mess in the box, heheh)

And I'm totally in love with the "shelf-space" on your rock-work. The open space amongst the "caves" is really neat, too - I can envision loads of coral on the shelves and fish swimming through the pillars underneath... so cool! Now the wait begins...

Tell me about it! I am so bored now that the excitement is over LOL! I moved a rock over last night so it isnt up against the glass. Now I think I have it the way I like it. Now we play the waiting game..../sigh

Hopefully the last and final rock-move:

DSC01440.jpg

I also took my test readings for the 1st time today. Heres what the damage looks like:

Salinity: 1.023-25

Ammonia: 0-.25

NitrAte: 40-80

NitrIte: 1.0

Ph: 8.0-8.2

API tests are a PITA to read, but theres no way I can afford electrical testers so they'll have to do for now....SO BORED

Ok well Im slowly putting together my DIY Fuge/sump. I dont really plan on pullin the plug on the bulkhead until I get a overflow box. Ill probably order one from glass holes. I unno.

Here are some pics:

note the catbox cover! viola!

IMGA0030.jpg

IMGA0031.jpg

return pump...might be overkill, but I have a ball valve im gonna use

IMGA0032.jpg

IMGA0033.jpg

I also have the sand in the box ready to be cleaned and put in for the fuge ^_^ Scuse the pix, my cam is outta batteries and so I used the camcorders cam. >.<

Archived