Top Shelf Aquatics

David's 30 Long Reef

xcode

My tank started in 2007 and has had a lot of ups and downs. Now the tank is comming back after lossing a lot of corals from algea due to poor upkeep by me. I have no idea how much LR I have in the tank, but it may be a little too much. My guess is around 35lbs. One of my buddies told me I should replace my sand when I go to drill my tank. Should i just keep the same sand?

Fish:

- Ocellaris Clownfish

- Black Ocellaris Clownfish

- Royal Gramma

- Bi Color Blennie

Invertebrates:

- 2 Peperment Shrimp

- 4 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

- 4 Turbo Snails

- 1 Reg Leg Hermit Crab

- 1 Nassarius Snail

- 1 CoCo worm

Corals:

- Green Apple Zoanthids

- Melon Zoanthids

- Hairy Mushrooms

- Green Star Polyps

- Yellow Button Polyps

- Kenya Tree Coral

- Blastomussa

- Red Acans

- Orange Monti

Equipment:

- Coralife 1x96w PC , Orbit 2x96w PC, Glo-t5 retro 2x39w ordered AquaIllumination 2x39w

- Coralife SuperSkimmer 65It stopped making microbubbles, Something is messed up with the pump

- MaxiJet 1200

- Koralia 1

- Marineland Stealth Heater

- Tom's AquaLifter

Equipment Ordered or not installed yet:

- Glass - Holes nano overflow

- Custom 20 gallon Sump

- Reefkeeper Lite with double float switches for ATO

- Vertex IN-80 or the Vertex IN-100, I still do not know witch one to get

Here are some pictures of my tank from the beginning

Picture 1

Picture 2

Tank1.jpgTank2.jpg

Picture 3

Picture 4

Tank3.jpgTank4.jpg

Latest picture of tank

Tank5.jpg

Does anyone know how long it takes for these Blastomussa to split, I have had them forever.

IMG_1428.jpg

pic4.jpgpic3.jpg

pic2.jpgpic1.jpg

About 1 month ago I bought a RO filter in order to battle all the algea. I started taking the LR out and scrubing the algea off. I didn't see any anthopods or copeipods in the tank. I guess I am going to have to order some off the internet. Does anyone know a good place for this?

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1454.jpgIMG_1452.jpgIMG_1448.jpg

When my light went out in my Orbit PC fixture, instead of buying new bulbs I built a wooden canopy for the retro glo-t5 kit. I wish I would have bought 2 kits so I would have 4 t5s verses 2t5s. I tried to stain it to match the bottom.

IMG_1435.jpg

Awesome tank dimensions!

@ sand question: Some people say that you should replace old sand and some say that you can clean it. It all comes down to personal preference. IMO, I would buy new sand but you certainly do not need to do this.

@ rock: That seems like a good amount of rock for that size tank. I just wonder if that scape is stable? Looks like it could tip over lol.

Good idea to take the rock out and give it a good scrub down as well as using RO water, but you should get a DI filter as well if you do not have one already.

What happened was my tank started looking real bad. I had just moved into this apartment and I thought it must be the tap water that is causing all this algae. I went to my LFS and I ask about a RO/DI unit but all he had was this Coralife RO unit. I wanted a RO/DI but I didn't want to order it and take a week to get it. Can you add a DI to mine?

IMG_1434.jpg

What happened was my tank started looking real bad. I had just moved into this apartment and I thought it must be the tap water that is causing all this algae. I went to my LFS and I ask about a RO/DI unit but all he had was this Coralife RO unit. I wanted a RO/DI but I didn't want to order it and take a week to get it. Can you add a DI to mine?

IMG_1434.jpg

Yes, there are DI units that can be added to your RO system. Do you know your TDS coming out of the filter?

I got my overflow box in today. I am still a little scared about drilling the holes in my tank. I can't figure out if that little black piece above the box needs to lay flat over the 2 baffles or if it sits at an angle? (the bottom picture)

IMG_1442.jpgIMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

I have a sump being built by PCG Aquariums. It should be here in a week or so. It will have a Fuge and a place for a skimmer.

• 1 month later...

That looks like some James Bond Shi*...You going all high teck. What does all that stuff do.

A found a box outside my front door today.

IMG_1487.jpgIMG_1488.jpgIMG_1489.jpgIMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

I need a better camera!

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

So long story short. I never got my sump, the dude took my money. So now I have another sump being built local. I should have it within a week( I hope ).

I love your acans and the fungia. That orange fungia is so bright, it almost burns your retinas out lol. Also, where did you get your sump from? Did you try buying one from from someone online? That is just not cool that they took your money.

Stinky about the sump. I like the 30 long i have the same tank no sump. The scape looks great. Have fun with your build.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Updated Picture:

TRT.jpg

Ok so I have to ask I am going to black sand. What kind did you use I cant decide between tahiti Moon and the Hawaiin black.

• 3 months later...

Any picture updates? I am about to start up a new Thread I moved everything from my 20L intoa 40B with the 20 as the sump. It is great. You system looks very similar to mine but my over flow is in the middle. Also what kind of lighting are you using on your tank???

Archived